Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good question, although, for much western Canadian deer hunting, all BS aside, it is hard to imagine a "better" cartridge than the lowly .308Win.

I much prefer it to the .30-06 and I have owned/used at least a dozen fine .06s, but, my carefully customized P-64-70-fwt.-.30-06, must weigh almost a full pound more than the custom .308 I mention above.

The .308 gives good accuracy with 180s at, usually, 2675, the .30-06 drives them to 100 fps. more and for the 100 fps. difference, the .308 is nicer to carry all day, especially in BC's mountains at my age.

I also have a light, CRF .308Norma, about 8.25 lbs. all up and this is my choice as THE .308" bored cartridge of all. It weighs about a half pound more than my .30-06 and drives the 180s to just at 3000.....so, WHERE does one "draw the line"????

I can, when in practice, shoot all of these well, ( for an old guy ) and for general BC uses, where Moose, especially bull Elk and the frequent Grizzly encounters we experience, I feel that the Norma round IS more capable than the smaller cased ones....but, in five years, in my then early 70s, well, who knows?

I hope to hunt Sask. and would LOVE to hunt a Pronghorn in AB. this year or next and this kind of discussion is both informative and really enjoyable, for me, anyway! smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by SAKO75
in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

So is a .308 at that distance.. Why not use a 30-30 or better yet a 25-35?
[quote=BWalker][quote=SAKO75]

because i happen t oown a 308 and only a 308 but im not professing you have to have a 308 or a 300mag like some would believe

btw, youre the 1st person ive ever heard mention using a 308 can be used for ego

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/03/13.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Preface Statement: I've never been nor will I most likely ever be able to "comfortably" afford the honors of hunting in Canada.

That said, let me say this towards this post;

As someone who is not a Canadian resident, who would have to travel 2,000 miles and who would have to put a very sizable amount of funds together in order to go, I have a very skewed view on this subject.

I have hunted deer for 30 years. Have killed them with everything from 22 cal to 50 cal, bows to buckshot. I own a variety of deer hunting rifles that range from flat, fast rounds to bulky, lumps of lead.

Should one day I be blessed enough to go, you all can rest assured I'm taking a rifle in which I'm extremely familiar with and "ONE THAT CAN PENETRATE FAR ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE EVEN WHEN THE MOST IMPERFECT SHOT ANGLE IS ALL I'M ABLE TO TAKE."

That's not to say I will take a "Texas Heart Shot" (I'm not taking any none lethal attempt) but an extremely harsh qtr'ing shot on what might be the most expensive trip I'll ever take in my life, on what would most likely be the largest deer I'd ever have the chance of killing - I want to know I'm putting enough lead on target with enough energy to get the job done with as minimal of a failure rate as possible.

Does that mean that if I were there, handed a 243 with basic rounds that I thought I couldn't make it work with getting a good shot off? No. I have no issues with my shooting ability or the ability to poke a vent hole through a game animal to bring it down.

But this is a $5 to $8k trip for me, 2000 miles from home, once in a lifetime sorta thing; that said - give me a very familiar rifle, one I'm able to shoot accurately in the field, with a proven load ample enough to penetrate despite what conditions I'm afforded. Sometimes, good enough isn't good enough when 16% of your annual income is on the line for a deer.

If that particular rifle is a 308 Win, then that's exactly what you should load up. If it happens to be a 338 Win Mag, then congrats on having more medicine capable of doing the job when everything isn't seeming to add up. It's all about putting your bullet on target in the right place, but sometimes that means it has to travel through a whole lot of meat and bone to get to said "vitals."

Just saying "USE ENOUGH GUN" isn't really my take... If I can't shoot it accurately then it's useless. But to think that I'd take one of my smaller calibers even though I'm 100% familiar with it and trust it is absurd when I have larger, better penetrating rounds that I shoot every bit as proficient.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=SAKO75]in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

So is a .308 at that distance.. Why not use a 30-30 or better yet a 25-35?
[quote=SAKO75]

because I happen to own a 308 and only a 308 but im not professing you have to have a 308 or a 300mag like some would believe

btw, youre the 1st person ive ever heard mention using a 308 can be used for ego

So I cant be accused of having ego issues I am going to hang up the 300 ultra and take up chucking spears....
All kidding aside, I own a Win model 100 and a model 88 that I almost never use. Mostly because they are family heirloons and frankly I have a nice 280, 26-06, and 300 win and ultra mags that will do anything a 308 will do and in most cases much better, even at 50 yard MI woods ranges.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

Well.....maybe. But I have killed a couple at 300-350 yards up there. Others at shorter distances.I have used a 300 magnum on them and ego had not a thing to do with it.It just completely overwhelmed them.

Mostly I have used a 270 up there but don't kid myself that it's as potent a cartridge as a 300 magnum. It simply isn't. Neither is a 308.

Bob no offense but please tell me what outfitter in Saskatchewan sets up his bait at 300 yards so I can avoid them

Maybe you meant Alberta truck hunting where the typical spray and pray over the hood of the truck takes place or your placed on the gas line with no bait and no time for binoculars. I clearly stated non resident alien in "sask", as you know they cannot hunt farmland. Bait is typically 100-160 yards. If one can't get complete penetration through a deer with a 308 at those ranges then maybe they need something else

My guide and his dad use 243 with 85 tsx. They've killed plenty b&c deer and even elk and moose with the lowly 243 and they are lifelong residents of "sask"

Sako: First off, no I do not mean Alberta (where I have hunted several times and never killed a buck from the truck).We do use trucks to get from place to place because it beats walking 20-30 miles. smile

Second, I understand that people use 243's and 25's for a lot of hunting and I understand they kill stuff.Even some stuff out of their intended class.

What I meant is, there is not a thing in the world "wrong" with using a 300 magnum up there (if you want)because they are among the best category of cartridge for killing BG animals here and worldwide,including Canadian whitetails, if you want.

I have used mostly a 270 in Central Canada, but have also used 300's and 7 mags up there.Pointed correctly 300's are superb killers...Their only drawback (for some, not all folks)is that they recoil substantially. This does not mean they are not great cartridges and among the very best for killing BG animals, especially so at long range....use one enough and you will see this.

Pointed right, they dump big whitetails on their noses. wink

I don't know where the attitude comes from but there appears to be this "little cartridge" snob attitude among folks on here that they occupy some higher moral ground because they use cartridges burning no more than 50 grains of powder;and anyone using a 300 magnum or some such is automatically labeled a "spray and pray" type driven by some egotistical megalomania...which is utter nonsense. It just gets tiring reading this stuff from people who should know better smile

I don't know why you would want to avoid an outfitter who has farm fields in the northern zone...the line( at least where I hunted in the eastern part of the province), has lots of farm fields to the north of the line. I know this because I have hunted them and killed bucks on them.One , in particular was right on the boundary and the field I hunted was "legal" while the one behind me and across a dirt road, was not.

And not all hunting is done over bait...at least not the fields I hunted were baited...they were grain fields but not "baited".I hunted lots of them. If I were not allowed to do so, the wardens who saw me doing it would have locked me up! smile

Invariably though,stands set back in the bush are baited.

Unless the laws have changed dramatically since I was there,if you are under the misconception that a non resident alien cannot hunt a farm field, someone has given you the wrong information.(Usually the outfitters) You can hunt anything north of the line,farm field or bush.

Bob, I am going to play the anti-hero here and snub anyone not touching off 100 grains of powder, which my ultra bests by a grain...
In all seriousness most any rifle cartridge works on deer, including the .223 which I have used. I happen to use mostly 300 mags for deer hunting because my favorite guns are chambered in them. I also find that all things being equal as it pertains to placement and bullet quality a 300 mag anchors them with more authority and this can be important, especially given the property situation here in MI. I hunt one property that only 7 acres and another thats a real narrow and long 80.

IC B2

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ranger1
.... I'm no ballistician, all I can do is go by what I've seen, big bullets going really fast seem to really impress things whether they are up close or far away.

I agree.

That's good to hear, seen as I live in BC and don't want to travel to Saskabush, I'll just shoot from here. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
furprick that's a far piece. wink

Hey I am in favor of guys shooting what they want and like,even if it ain't my own first choice. After all it's their hunt! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I took my 30-06 to Saskatchewan this year because it is stainless steel, not because it kicks less than my 300 WSM, because it doesn't kick a lot less, and with all of the layers of clothing recoil is not a very large part of the decision.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just read this post end to end ,some came close to a good reply, some , well, enough said . however ,Royce hit the nail on the head. well said guy .i'ts nice to see some (uncommon ) common sense.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.