-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just came across a stainless Ruger 44 mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. The gun is in well over 95% condition and it came with a box of ammo, box of brass, holster, case, and Pachmeyer grip. I didn't know what would be a good price for the gun and knew that some of you fellas would know. The best we can figure out it has had 2 or 3 boxes shot out of it. Well if you fellas can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ryan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
d_hunter,
<br>
<br>I don't know how much help i can be ... but i just paid $560 for a SRH with a 7.5" barrel (new), so with shells and a holster i don't if i would go about that amount. But with all things a value or good deal to one person could not be one to another. Neg. a price and if U like it then it is a good deal to U ... and it is U who will be shooting it.
<br>
<br>Sorry no real sound advice .... just the short and skinny on a story my grandfather related to me when i was young ... Good Luck!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Ryan I have a Redhawk I bought in the first year they came out......long time ago......it has around 20,000 rounds through it with out the first problem...tough as they come..everything is factory including the trigger which has smoothed out with use...the value I put on this revolver is MUCH more than it's actual worth...a gun that has never let you down is priceless...I paid under 200 bucks for it new. I think the revolver alone would fetch 300 bucks in my neck of the woods. The other stuff is worth what ever value you determine it is worth to you...a box of ammo at wally world here runs between 18 and 24 bucks. Lonerider

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
rlb_deerhunter:
<br>
<br>Just bought a used one myself. SS 7.5" bl. Was looking for an older one as I like the older-stlye crane latch, and back then they were slightly lighter with a lighter barrel profile.
<br>
<br>Look at a bunch. Barrels weren't generally great so I'd pass. Got frustrating. The barrel on the one I ended up with was stunningly perfect though. Didn't seem to have had hot loads through it. Lock-up was tight. Timing terrific. And other than a minor scratch or two, the gun seemed perfect. Seemed...
<br>
<br>Took it to the range. Ate Fed's 240 like candy. Bull's at 25. 2.5-3" groups at 40 and 50. Nice except for one thing...7 of 40 rounds shot were misfires...hammer-slips actually...where I cocked the hammer into SA and when squeezing the trigger the hammer fell early AND there was no ignition.
<br>
<br>I've read in Bowen's book that Redhawk's don't have strong ignition so I figured that's what it was...and since I was sending it to him for some work, that that would get fixed in the process.
<br>
<br>Just got an email from him...the hammer and trigger have to be replaced as someone had futzed with it, going so far as to cut the spring to lighten it. So it's off to Ruger for repair. maybe $50 if they don't just waive it.
<br>
<br>But other than that... he thought the gun just about perfect. No end float. Bbl. gap about .004, which is perfect as far as he's concerned. Perfect barrel.
<br>
<br>And this after 22 years. The gun was manufactered 3/81.
<br>
<br>I paid $325 at a pawn shop that specializes in firearms. When I was pricing them...generally saw them online at $400-500. At gun shows for $300-450. And I found a local shop that would sell my a new one in 5.5" for $469.
<br>
<br>My point to this whole wordy deal is...there are good RH's are out there. Just know what it is you want, and make sure you can return it if a gunsmith checks it out and it's not good. Even with the Ruger repair, if there's any cost at all, mine was still worth it...which by the way, the dealer is going to pay for any repair, including the shipping! Great bunch of guys... guess they have some leeway as they are a pawn shop.
<br>
<br>Anyway, good luck.
<br>

Tenderfoot

"Fortes Fortuna Iuvat"
sig Offline
tenderfoot,
<br>
<br>I was interested in your comment about a lack of strong ignition. Is this related more to a timing problem or the strength of the hammer spring or what? I have a SRH that I picked up less than a month ago and I get about 1 misfire out of 20-25 rounds. The primer gets dented but no ignition. Does something need fixed? Will it get better or worse over time?

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sig:
<br>
<br>I'm not sure exactly what it's related to the bad ignition on the RH. Must be wrapped up aroung the one or more of the hammer/pin/transfer bar though.
<br>
<br>What Bowen does to "fix" it is to "refit the hammer for maximum firing pin protusion".
<br>
<br>What that means exactly escapes me.
<br>
<br>Next time I talk to him I'll ask and get the specifics.
<br>
<br>As for your SRH...I've heard that their ignition is fine. I do know that it has a different, and, supposedly better trigger / hammer set-up than the RH. I'd have a competent 'smith have a look at it.
<br>
<br>

Tenderfoot

"Fortes Fortuna Iuvat"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.