Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Keep in mind that there's more than one rockwell scale for hardness and the "R" scale is not the same as the "C" scale. I cut kydex with a knife that is lower than a 90 on the rockwell "C" scale. smile

My knives get scratches, can't say I blame it on kydex. Kydex is generally formed tighter to the blade, and doesn't flex like leather, so if you get grit in the sheath, you are probably more likely to scratch things.

GB1

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by cwh2
Keep in mind that there's more than one rockwell scale for hardness and the "R" scale is not the same as the "C" scale. I cut kydex with a knife that is lower than a 90 on the rockwell "C" scale. smile

My knives get scratches, can't say I blame it on kydex. Kydex is generally formed tighter to the blade, and doesn't flex like leather, so if you get grit in the sheath, you are probably more likely to scratch things.

Good point. Kydex sure cuts and grinds easy.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Would not have thought a plastic sheath to be this hard!

From Wiki:
relatively hard thermoplastic, with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell R scale. This hardness, combined with a grained surface, increases its abrasive resistance.

Note they said Rockwell R scale.

Blades are measured on the Rockwell C scale.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
It would seem that it is not the kydex scratching it is hard material that gets stuck in the kydex and as you pull the knife in and out it rubs on the knife surface but if it a work knife who cares. I also see Ed T's point in using a spacer so it is not so tight ( at least that is what I read into his post). I just had heard this and wanted to get an experts opinion.

Back to the point of the post it sure looks like a great knife set up. I love the orange handle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2

Guilty as charged, your honor.

At a 90, could just make the knife out of kydex!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay....

Steel you can't actually sharpen. With a Whooly Mammoth fosilized penis ivory handle. In a sheath made of Cheetah leather, which is infused with jewelers rouge so that you can strop it like a razor....

Act now, and as an extra added bonus we'll throw in a stripper and a fat raker of coke.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have a custom that has had some of its finish worn off dude to the kydex. But I cannot say I care. It is a great all around setup.

I like that deep bellied knife Ed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Okay....

Steel you can't actually sharpen. With a Whooly Mammoth fosilized penis ivory handle. In a sheath made of Cheetah leather, which is infused with jewelers rouge so that you can strop it like a razor....

Act now, and as an extra added bonus we'll throw in a stripper and a fat raker of coke.

What knife are you referring to?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
His ultimate fantasy knife smile

Ed T

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Okay....

Here is the blank for the scales. It's walrus, but close enough perhaps.

Thank me later.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
wow. Worried about scratches on a knife blade.

I'd never heard that one before.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hello Ed, do you heat treat the blades yourself ?

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
Hello Ed, do you heat treat the blades yourself ?

I do heat treat all the carbon steel blades myself. I have a friend that does the ATS34 as he also does cryo treating on them.

Ed T

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 3,515 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,505
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.