Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well Bob you and I both know that camps are full every year of the old two hundred and seventy along with the ought six and seven mag. In over 40 years afield I have seen very few of the cartridges often mentioned here.

Yeah I know some are out there but their numbers are so small they would be left out of a survey smirk

Randy

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rta if I show up at the ranch in Wyoming lugging something other than a 270,my old pal rancher looks at me (with eyes narrowed),and says....

"What are you messin' with now?...You should know better by now you don't need anything other than your 270..." blush smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dogger
Just re-read Gil Sengel's 270 article in the Feb 2003 issue of Handloader and it makes me want to go out and buy a 270 Winchester right now!; load it up with a 130 grain bonded bullet!!; and hunt everything from mice to sheep to moose!!! Man, I did not need to re-read that article this close to Christmas!!!!

Someone shoot me please, or a least convince me that the 270 ain't good for nothing except back-up QB to the 30-06 and the 280...

This is easy for me, convincing someone that the 270Win isn't what you want for big game, cause I'm a hater down to the bone.

I grew up hunting with two groups of guys. The first group, Old School Maine deer hunters: 300 Savage & 30/30 all lever gun users and all wore peep sights. The second group, The Magnum Boys, 300WM & 7mmRM, Browning BAR's with high power scopes. I was the odd ball out and showed up in both camps with Bolt Guns is cartridges that had head stamps of 25/06, 270, 7mm Express (280 Rem before it was cool), 308 Win, & 30/06.
Two totally different hunting style in both camps. Old school boys-still hunters in big woods..never drove the deer but would bump the deer and usually the deer would come in front of one of the other guys in the line. The magnum boys were sitters, watching big cuts, fields, and power lines. The magnum boys relied on other hunters to move the deer around and hope fully into the area they sat on.
On the average the old school boys killed more deer than the magnum boys. I personally preferred the old school boys hunting methods so hunted with them the most. Boy did I get a lot of guff from the old school and magnum boys when I showed up with anything other than what they used and swore by, especially the Old School boys.
The worst was when I showed up with the 270. The old school boys started calling me "O'Connor the ballistic expert". After shooting a couple of deer square in the chest and having to track them in thick woods for some distance they started calling me "Jack Azz" for using the sub 30 cal. One thing that I noticed when I hunted with this group of guys was when they shot their deer there was never any tracking. The norm was neck shots dead right there or through the lungs with a very short blood trail.
It took me a long time to learn this since I then tried the 25/06 & 7mm Express with the same results as the 270. Long hard track jobs in thick woods, coupled with the harassment from the boys, pushed me to carry 30 cals. Then the deer started dieing right there or shortly after.

Fast forward 12 years and a move out west. Bought my wife a 270 for hunting out here. There again the same results that I saw in Maine. Shoot a deer square in the chest and it would run forever it seemed. Recoil was to much for her so we dropped down to a 243 and that really sucked. So I had a rifle built for her a 7x57 and we load it very mild. Kills stuff dead. I tried the 7mmRM out here and had troubles with it on elk and deemed it to light for elk.

So the moral of this story is 30 caliber or larger for me and for my wife 7mm going slow is her minimum. If I can ever convince her, she will be converted to a 30 caliber minimum also. The 30/06 in my mine is just about the perfect rifle over any 270. Save your money or just shoot and hunt more with your 06!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
rta if I show up at the ranch in Wyoming lugging something other than a 270,my old pal rancher looks at me (with eyes narrowed),and says....

"What are you messin' with now?...You should know better by now you don't need anything other than your 270..." blush smile

I mentioned this before, but over the years I've found myself describing several of my favorite chamberings to folks who aren't into such things. Telling them, "It's about like a .270", generally gets the point across and is not far from the truth. 120 to 160 grains at 3,100 to 2,800 fps, and you're lumping in about a dozen 6.5's and 7mm's. Not a bad place to be, but I like rifles too much to cut back to just the 270Win, even if it makes sense.....

A buddy recently called me about his wife's rifle, a walnut 700ADL in .270Win. They were at a sporting goods store looking for ammo and a scope. I told them to buy some 150gr WW Powerpoints and a Redfield Revolution. 4-5 shots later and I had her zeroed at 200yds and she can effectively kill anything that she might encounter locally with no fuss.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used a 270 for over 30 years with excellent results. The only difference was that I used 150 gr bullets. They will hit at the same point of impact at almost any range and will hit harder when they get there. It's a natural.
Yep, +1.

I moved here to Idaho from Alaska, I lived and died with my .300 win mag. up in the 'great land' with many dead sheep, moose and bou. But it was heavy and kicked like a mule.
In 2011 I bought a .270 KS and went out and killed two mountain goats, two whitetails and an elk in just that year.
All with 150 grainers.
Frankly the other Idaho goat tag holder used my rifle to kill his Idaho billy as well.
Three mountain goats in one year with that rifle, and those buggers can be tough to kill.

I became a .270/150grn. believer in short order, most kills were DRT.
Helluva caliber; O'Conner had it right.

Bout time you saw the light Frank. wink

I've been hunting with my M70 270 since I bought it new around 1983, all but 2 animals I have taken since then have been with the 270.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The older I have gotten the less Mountain hunting calls me. I now spend much of my time sitting and glassing for whitetail. Because I move very little I have began experimenting with other calibers. I have a 280ai, 243ai and 223ai should arrive any day now.

The 280 ai is a wonderful cartridge and with the high BC 284 bullets it can be shot much further than I have ever needed on a animal. 150 grain Nosler BT's have worked very well on game.

The 243 ai with a 105 gr bullet just is fun to shoot. I have been told it is a game getter. I have not shot any game with it but I should be changing that any day now.

This is all fun and games and gives me something to do that I really enjoy doing. However, I would love to have my youthful waist line and legs back. I would grab my 270 and head West again.

There are still days when I reach for my old Ruger 270 thats been with me so long. It's comforting having it with me, kind of like an old friend you can trust.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I guess one guy on the fire can't kill stuff with a 270. Glad it's not me. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Some of his most memorable hunting articles for Outdoor Life magazine include: "We Shot the Tamales" "Santiago and the Lady Hunter" "Lions Don't Come Easy" and "A Tiger Has Killed".
In this short passage from his story, "Up To Our Necks In Deer," Jack's love for the .270 rifle and impressive writing style are evident.
When the rifle cracked, the buck turned over clear over in the air, and hit like a bag of potatoes.
"Whoopee!" said Zefarino. "That's the kind of rifle I like, one that has power. One shot and the buck doesn't move. How do you call it?"
"The .270," I said.
"The same one you shoot the ram with, no?"
"The same."
"With the .30 you shot a buck and it ran. Then the smaller boy shoots a buck with the .25 and it ran. Now the large boy shoots a buck with this rifle and it is dead in its tracks. How good a rifle, this .270!"
"It shoots a good ball," I said, "--a very fast ball."
"Like the lightning!" said Zefarino. In 2006 the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center opened at Hells Gate State Park on the Snake River, near Lewiston, Idaho. Many of his big game trophies are on display there, along with other memorabilia, including his favorite .270 rifle.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JOC also said no cartridge can make up for poor shot placement.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 12/12/13.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Sounds all too "Broke Mountainish" to me Bob. You sure it wasn't a gleam in his eye instead... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was leaning 280AI for my next project (boat paddle ruger) but dang if this thread isn't making me want to go 270!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Bill is anything but Brokeback.. grin

His 270 has only bumped off about 30-40 bulls;and about as many mule deer,lots of them pretty big.Last bull was 363... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shot my two biggest whitetails with an ADL 270, couple nice antelope with it as well. Lucky gun!

What are the fancy new 270 bullets to use? Long range AB's?

Shot a lot of random factory stuff in my 'younger' days, 140 AB's loaded up for the last 5 or so years now.

Next rifle I get will be a 270 Montana.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/12/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GAY!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know, I thought about a 6.5 SAUM and all the fun prepping brass. And then I thought....

[bleep] that!

270 is way easier.....grin

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For sure.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wildcats are all fine and dandy, until your first run and gun on a coyote when you lose a handful of carefully prepped brass into the sagebrush. Suddenly that really cool Lapua brass, or all the time spent neck turning and fire forming seems more like money pissed down the drain.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My hero Dave Petzel from Field and Stream said the 270 is never the wrong choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought you 270 guys just used partitions.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I thought you 270 guys just used (insert bullet).

Fixed it. It is much easier to find bullets that don't work in a 270.

Arcus Venator
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 21 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.