Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dang Skidrow, what did I do to piss you Off. I told Calhoun I had made a mistake in calling it a '99. I think I've been very respectful and appreciative for the bits of information I've received. Look Skidrow, if I knew what I was doing...I wouldn't be asking you guys. I appreciate you measuring your barrel for me and it takes a lot of grief off of me. I just didn't know what I had and wanted to try and put it together to shoot in memory of my Dad. I apologize if I offended you in any way. I've sold a lot of them but never realized there were so many variations and models till I joined the fire and started reading the Savage forum. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 12/11/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outside diameter on the barrel threads is 0.900".

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Mad Dog. I don't have enough knowledge to know but it appears w/Skidrow's small thread barrel and mine that some were barreled w/the .840 threads. Makes me think of the left over barrels from Marlin and the manufacturing chang over to Savage production. I really have no idea. That's why I came here and I appreciate everyone's comment. I'll try and get her done...one way or the other. Thanks again guys. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 12/11/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not pissed off. Simply stating facts as I see them. I wish you luck on your quest.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How hard would it be to have a barrel with larger thread diameter turned to match the original that he has?

The 1895's were not assembled in serial order. Looking in the data I have, serial 7000 would probably be a 1896 production rifle...not late or early.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rick I've been reading a lot here but no posting. From what I gather it could be a rifle that was put together from Marlin parts at Savage. Just got an email from a man on another forum about a 30-30 barrel that he said would not fit as he the early guns had a smaller thread. So, I don't know...that's why I came here and really appreciate all the comments. I have not ruled out having the threads on a later barrel turned down like Skidrow suggested. I don't have another barrel to look at to see if it might work? Thanks for responding Rick. powdr

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
OK guys I have a smaller thread receiver approximately .840 and Skidrow and a guy on another forum also verified the early guns had a smaller thread on the barrel. Mad Dog has a '95 barrel w/the .900 barrel threads which would match up nicely w/the .895 female measurement from Gnoahh being an 1899. I've learned a lot but still don't have a barrel. Still have some feelers out and maybe Norm's barrel might work. Thanks for all the help guys...these darn '99's are really confusing sometime. powdr

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
powdr ,whats wrong with the barrel you have ,that you said was crap>/? is the finish crap or the rifling ? if its the rifling ,why not reline it?

Last edited by bubba15301; 12/12/13.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some guy decided to cut 3 dove tails on the top of the barrel. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guy decided to cut 3 dove tails on the top of the barrel. powdr

There are smiths out there that can weld up those dovetails and make that barrel look like they never happened. Its a rat but if you change the barrel it will still be a rat. Your choice but if the barrel you have shoots good why bother with a new one if the old one is repairable? Another way to go would be to put blanks in the dovetails and file them down to match the curve of the barrel. When they're still a bit proud peen them a bit and they pretty much go away. The same procedure is often done to fill screw holes. Peening the proud metal fills the gaps and once smoothed and touched up the holes, or dovetails, are barely noticeable.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah Skidrow that's exactly what I've been thinking about. It's an aftermarket barrel w/same contour as the heavy barrel Savages.
It is going to be a rat no doubt about it but I would like to get it to where I can shoot it. Thanks guys...if somebody decides to let go of a '95 barrel, let me know. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
Yeah Skidrow that's exactly what I've been thinking about. It's an aftermarket barrel w/same contour as the heavy barrel Savages.
It is going to be a rat no doubt about it but I would like to get it to where I can shoot it. Thanks guys...if somebody decides to let go of a '95 barrel, let me know. powdr

don't give up hope i'am working on it

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, thank you Norm. powdr

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Can you get a barrel through Customs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes I have shipped 5or 6 375 barrels south,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You ship "steel tubing."

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like I'm not going to be able to use Norm's barrel. He gave me an honest evaluation of the barrel at a fair price but just can't spend that much money here at Christmas time. Thank you Norm for going to all the trouble for me. You guys have been a life saver w/all of the info.
Does anyone make dove tail slots to peen in to place> Most of the one's I've seen don't take up much of the dove tail.
Does anyone have a picture of the barrel stub that gors under the barrel to screw the forearm to?

Thanks again Norm. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by powdr
OK guys I have a smaller thread receiver approximately .840 and Skidrow and a guy on another forum also verified the early guns had a smaller thread on the barrel. Mad Dog has a '95 barrel w/the .900 barrel threads which would match up nicely w/the .895 female measurement from Gnoahh being an 1899. I've learned a lot but still don't have a barrel. Still have some feelers out and maybe Norm's barrel might work. Thanks for all the help guys...these darn '99's are really confusing sometime. powdr

My 1895 barrel measured 0.783" on the flat before the threads, top of the threads measured 0.845".

An 1899H takedown barrel from 1911-1919 measured 0.828" and 0.898".

Don't know if it being a takedown barrel changes anything.

I'm not fast, but I eventually get around to things.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M99 takedowns and fixed barrels are the same. The only difference is the grove for the index metal in the forearm. Same diameter and same thread although some takedowns are quarter threaded. Witness the number of takedown barrels on non-takedown M99s.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah Calhoun, the .828 and .898 are close enough to .840 and .900 to work. And I would like to thank Skidrow again for taking measurements and verifying a smaller thread does exist. powdr

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.