Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8351261 12/13/13
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hello, well I used some knock off no name hoodie that was mostly polyester this season and really liked how comfortable it was. I wore it constantly in all weather.
It is bulky though and does not pack well.
What purpose made Hoodies do you like?
Do I just get a Patagonia R1 and be done with it or one made out of Merino wool?Thanks for reading.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 12/13/13.
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It depends on whether you want a base layer or a mid layer. For a base layer my favorite is the Ibex Indie hoody. A good synthetic base layer would be a Capilene 4 hoody.

For mid layer, I like both the R1 and the Ibex Shak.

Ed T

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

I use this one from minus33.com a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabelas has a nice 300 weight fleece zip hoodie non camo. Got one on sale for $30. Super warm but a little bulky to pack. I use it under a shell when it's threatening to rain and snow mixed. Check out STP lots of ckeap options there.

I've been wanting to check out a Patagonia Better Sweater.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/?p=25662-0

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ed_T: Where do you grab your Ibex stuff? They seem a little on the high side, but I'm liking the look of that Indie hoodie

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My favorite is a patagonia wool hoodie. I also have an Ibex Indie and an R1 as a Mid. The R1 is awesome, but I wish they'd change the off center zipper (even though it makes perfect sense :))

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a fan of the Kryptec Cerdic hoodie, I had one just like the one in the photo except it was in Mountain Mimicry but it was too big for me and I had to sell it. If they made them again in MM i'd buy another in a heartbeat.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Ed_T: Where do you grab your Ibex stuff? They seem a little on the high side, but I'm liking the look of that Indie hoodie

OutdoorAg,

Watch Ibex's web site for clearance items. Probably won't see any Indie's until Spring, but I bought a couple at 40% - 50% off.

My all time favorite was the Backpacking Light Beartooth Hoody which is no longer made. They were a little lighter weight than the Indie.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I picked up two APCU Spy Hoodies for $50 each. I like 'em better than my R1. I think they are a tad warmer and they are an ounce lighter.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have 3 underarmour hoodies that I've worn on just about every kind of adventure for the last 5 years. I just rotate between them. I guide in them daily for 70ish days a season (fish) and they shed fish smell very well. Hard to get the smell out of other materials.

Pretty good stuff.

Last edited by Calvin; 12/13/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
It depends on whether you want a base layer or a mid layer. For a base layer my favorite is the Ibex Indie hoody. A good synthetic base layer would be a Capilene 4 hoody.

For mid layer, I like both the R1 and the Ibex Shak.

I love Ibex merino. It's my favorite so far, and I like their business model. The Indie Hoodie and Indie Crew are like a 190 weight base layer. However, it pretty much kicks Smartwools 220 weight, and Icebreaker's 250 weights ass in performance for me. Something to consider... If you think it might be a little warmer than your other stuff, it's going to make you sweat.

I lived in a Shak Hoodie for a winter. I liked it so much, I wore it to work too. I lovingly covered it in sawdust, dirt, hydraulic oil, and sweat.

Ibex is well made stuff.

Last edited by DanAdair; 12/13/13.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hopefully not too far off topic, but the only time I really like hoods on coats is for rain. For simply cold weather gear, I don't care for the feeling that I can't turn my head from side to side that I get with most hooded jackets (parkas).

I just got this Seirus brand "Hoodz" recently. I primarily got it for winter backpacking/ xc skiing, and winter camping. I can't sleep when my face and nose get too cold, even in a mummy bag. This hood can be worn both under the chin, over the nose like a normal balaclava, and even completely pulled down like a neck warmer/ buff. It is light weight and incredibly warm! (but being fleece the wind cuts through it if that is an issue). The nice thing about it is that you don't get any of the restricted movement feeling you get from a parka hood.

http://www.rei.com/product/725706/seirus-hoodz

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
With a snug fitting hoody like the Indie, there isn't an issue of turning your head. The hoody just turns with it.

Ed T

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've picked up a few Smartwool micro weight long sleeve shirts when they get down to reasonable prices. Then I put one of these hoodies over them.

http://www.woolovers.us/lambswool/womens-mens/lambswool-hoody.aspx

$50 all year long.

I use it like a base layer, because I pretty much wear it all the time, just not against my skin. Ditch the goofy knitted "string" and you are good to go.

Circles
C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been wearing this one for the last few months. I'm a big fan of Wildthings gear. They have a 25% off sale going on right now.
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/collections/all-mountain-clothing-and-gear/products/m-wind-pro-hoody

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Under Armour hoodies as well.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
How does the Ibex stuff dry out compared to synthetics? Seems like it is always a drizzle during bow season here in NY. I like the idea of merino over synthetic.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
How does the Ibex stuff dry out compared to synthetics? Seems like it is always a drizzle during bow season here in NY. I like the idea of merino over synthetic.

I've worn the Ibex wool all day in drizzle and wet snow with no shell and just worn it dry in camp. Drys a little slower than synthetics but is comfortable all day.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact that wool still insulates when it's wet is why I wear woolies instead of synthetic fleece. I'll pack the extra 6 ounces, just so I'm not a statistic.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That and the fact that you can hunt for a week in wool and not come close to stinking as bad as you would wearing synthetics for 2 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.