Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know, probably been done, and I remember reading about the 6.5 Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer about 40 years ago, and that one would be pretty similar.

Reason I am asking is, I am trying to trade for a 264 WinMag rifle (which if I am successful would make my FN Supreme Sporting Mauser rifle in 257WBY expendable and immediately for sale) and I remember just how much more I enjoyed my one 7mm Remington Magnum once I ran a 300 WinMag reamer into the chamber. That mutha was some kinda FAST, and I LOVE me some FAST!

So, as I wait to hear back from party number two about my trade offer for his Late Model 70 Classic in 264 WinMag, the wildcatter and speed whore in me started to think up ways to make the great 264 WinMag even BETTER, as in even FASTER.

The Model 70 Classics are long enough to accept a 300WBY case, so I could do a 6.5 Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer, but I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project. And, the slightly lessened powder capacity of the 300 Win Mag VS the Weatherby might make more sense for my light bullet loads in my new deersmacker. I am thinking, and hoping for, 110gr or 120gr 6.5 TTSX's at 3800fps or a bit better.

Anyone here done this or seen it done?

Wondering if it is uncommon enough (original enough) for me to be able to call it the .264 Safariman smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
PS: Anyone here want to trade me a couple hundred 257 Weatherby cases for a similar number of 264 WinMag empty cases? How about several hundred 100gr and 115gr Barnes TTSX bullets for some similar weight (110-120gr) 6.5 TTSX's? <G>

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found that McWhorter is building rifles so chambered, and stating 3500fps with 139-140gr bullets. Sooooo..... my 110-120gr TTSX's, with Moly, should get me to the 3700 range, anyways. Talking to my self here a bit at after Midnight (Kidney Disease pain and other symptoms again) but the idea sounds kind of fun and may have merit!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Mark- How about a full length 8mm hull necked down to 6.5. That would basically be a 6.5 STW right?

Or you could open the bolt face and do a 6.5 RUM!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by safariman
I found that McWhorter is building rifles so chambered, and stating 3500fps with 139-140gr bullets. Sooooo..... my 110-120gr TTSX's, with Moly, should get me to the 3700 range, anyways. Talking to my self here a bit at after Midnight (Kidney Disease pain and other symptoms again) but the idea sounds kind of fun and may have merit!

Pretty sure the McWhorter 6.5 Wby is based on the 257/270, not the longer 300

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wouldn't that just be a 264 win mag with a weatherby shoulder? I use 264 win mag brass necked down for the 257 wby. Long way around the barn.

Last edited by mtnman1; 12/13/13.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 264 WM case is essentially a 7mm Rem Mag case, not based off the 300 WM.

I would probably cut to the chase and buy a scope with turrets but that's just my way. Probably a McMillan, too.

Tanner

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
May want to shoot as is for a few months.. Never know how quick Nosler will bring the 26 to life....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner
A 264 WM case is essentially a 7mm Rem Mag case, not based off the 300 WM.

Tanner

I am quite aware of that, which is why I am considering building a 5.6 off of the longer bodied 300WinMag case.

Turrets, and plastic? HERESY! <G>

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

Pretty sure the McWhorter 6.5 Wby is based on the 257/270, not the longer 300

They have both. Listings of chambering available includes the 6.5/300 WinMag. So, if I do one, I will not be the first (not that I really thought that my idea was not already thought of and tried, somewhere)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mark- How about a full length 8mm hull necked down to 6.5. That would basically be a 6.5 STW right?

Or you could open the bolt face and do a 6.5 RUM!

Don't think for one moment that these ideas have not crossed my mind! And, I have a several coffee cans stash of 8mm RemMAg brass alrady in the gun room to make sure that I will always be able to feed my 340 Tyrannosaur.

For the small bore of the .264 though, I think the 300 WinMag case might be the ticket. I sure liked my 7mm Mashburn Super and this would be very similar, with only a slight difference in bore and bullet diameter. Could be called a 6.5 or 264 Mashburn Super, also. But, I kind of like the ring of 264 Safariman for some reason <G>

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rangefinders and turrets have made magnums unneeded and unwanted, especially for sub 500 yards duties.

I say buy a bunch of bullets, a good scope with repeatable adjustments, and spend your money and time practicing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Rangefinders and turrets have made magnums unneeded and unwanted, especially for sub 500 yards duties.

I say buy a bunch of bullets, a good scope with repeatable adjustments, and spend your money and time practicing.

Thanks for the input, but that is not how I roll. I do have a good LRF Binoc combo set, but was able to take my Mule deer buck this year at 618 yards (Likely the longest shot I will ever try) and make a perfect hit with the first shot using just a little "Kentucky Windage" with my 257WBY. Kept the verticle crosshair where I wanted the bullet to land in relation to his foreleg, and placed the horizontal wire atop his antler tips and killed him.

The super speeds I love are not just for trajectory flattening purposes. I love how the mega speed rounds, using Barnes TTSX bullets in particular, flatten game real quicklike and how many DRT's, Bangflops, never heard the shot type of kills I get. IME, the venison tastes better when a buck does not have any time to pump a bunch of adrenaline into his system and his lights go out immediately upon the bullet impacting. I don't get that result EVERY time, but most of the time I do and enough of the time to keep me shooting the stuff that starts out at 3500fps or better for deer. Several times, if the range is under 450 yards or so, I have been able to watch a buck collapsing in my scope before the recoil pushes my view up and away from my deer. More often than not when I re-aquire the deer in my scope he is just laying there, never to move again.

Plus, its FUN!

Fun to DRT a deer, fun to have something a little different and unique to me in camp, fun to discuss the ballistics and speeds and such.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might take a look at the .26 Nosler when it comes out. Sounds similar to what you're wanting to build. No belt to deal with from what I've garnered about this cartridge.

Bend, Ore. � November 22, 2013 � Like many shooting enthusiasts, the Nosler family has always dreamed of introducing a new rifle cartridge to the industry; that time is finally here with the arrival of the 26 Nosler�.

The goal of the new 26 Nosler� cartridge was to introduce something to the shooting sports industry that took full advantage of new technology available to shooters including the advance of optics, reticle systems and of course high Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) bullets such as the AccuBond� Long Range� line. The old boundaries are about to be pushed to new limits.

The 26 Nosler� cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler� 129 grain, AccuBond� Long Range� bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle. Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler� has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards. Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler� retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington� produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler� case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The �26� also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions.

�I really feel the 26 Nosler� has great value amongst the large family of 6.5mm cartridges. With minimal recoil, tremendous velocity, energy and the ability to point and shoot at the intended target up to a quarter mile away, this is the quintessential deer, antelope and long-range target cartridge available on the market today.� �Bob Nosler, CEO/President Nosler, Inc.

The 26 Nosler� is a new and unique cartridge that was submitted to SAAMI� in June, 2013. The formal launch will take place at the 2014 SHOT Show where more exciting news will be released regarding this cartridge. Additional announcements will include Nosler�s new platform rifle, in addition to exciting new bullet, brass and ammunition offerings.

For the most current information on Nosler product announcements, visit Nosler�s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NoslerInc

-###-

Media Contact:
Zach Waterman
Public Relations Manager

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taylorce1
You might take a look at the .26 Nosler when it comes out. Sounds similar to what you're wanting to build. No belt to deal with from what I've garnered about this cartridge.

Bend, Ore. &#150; November 22, 2013 &#150; Like many shooting enthusiasts, the Nosler family has always dreamed of introducing a new rifle cartridge to the industry; that time is finally here with the arrival of the 26 Nosler�.

The goal of the new 26 Nosler� cartridge was to introduce something to the shooting sports industry that took full advantage of new technology available to shooters including the advance of optics, reticle systems and of course high Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) bullets such as the AccuBond� Long Range&#153; line. The old boundaries are about to be pushed to new limits.

The 26 Nosler� cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler� 129 grain, AccuBond� Long Range&#153; bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle. Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler� has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards. Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler� retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington� produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler� case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The &#147;26&#148; also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions.

&#147;I really feel the 26 Nosler� has great value amongst the large family of 6.5mm cartridges. With minimal recoil, tremendous velocity, energy and the ability to point and shoot at the intended target up to a quarter mile away, this is the quintessential deer, antelope and long-range target cartridge available on the market today.&#148; &#150;Bob Nosler, CEO/President Nosler, Inc.

The 26 Nosler� is a new and unique cartridge that was submitted to SAAMI� in June, 2013. The formal launch will take place at the 2014 SHOT Show where more exciting news will be released regarding this cartridge. Additional announcements will include Nosler&#146;s new platform rifle, in addition to exciting new bullet, brass and ammunition offerings.

For the most current information on Nosler product announcements, visit Nosler&#146;s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NoslerInc

-###-

Media Contact:
Zach Waterman
Public Relations Manager

Thanks! I had not heard much about that round yet. Sounds like someone else besides me understands the advantages of a long point blank range and super speeds on deer, antelope and the like. Noslers new round sounds exciting and full of merit. I wonder how much more case capacity it will have VS the 264 WinMag round.

Waiting for this one, and checking to see if its chambering reamer will clean up the chamber of a 264 WinMag may have some merit. Though I would have to buy new brass and I already have several hundred new 300 WinMag cases laying in the gun room.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Thanks for the input, but that is not how I roll. I do have a good LRF Binoc combo set, but was able to take my Mule deer buck this year at 618 yards (Likely the longest shot I will ever try) and make a perfect hit with the first shot using just a little "Kentucky Windage" with my 257WBY. Kept the verticle crosshair where I wanted the bullet to land in relation to his foreleg, and placed the horizontal wire atop his antler tips and killed him.

The super speeds I love are not just for trajectory flattening purposes. I love how the mega speed rounds, using Barnes TTSX bullets in particular, flatten game real quicklike and how many DRT's, Bangflops, never heard the shot type of kills I get. IME, the venison tastes better when a buck does not have any time to pump a bunch of adrenaline into his system and his lights go out immediately upon the bullet impacting. I don't get that result EVERY time, but most of the time I do and enough of the time to keep me shooting the stuff that starts out at 3500fps or better for deer. Several times, if the range is under 450 yards or so, I have been able to watch a buck collapsing in my scope before the recoil pushes my view up and away from my deer. More often than not when I re-aquire the deer in my scope he is just laying there, never to move again.

Plus, its FUN!

Fun to DRT a deer, fun to have something a little different and unique to me in camp, fun to discuss the ballistics and speeds and such.

How much drift and drop did your rifle have at that range? If you were just guessing, I would put that shot soundly in the irresponsible realm.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very early in the AM, no breeze yet. The hold was going to place my bullet somewhere between the brisket and the Withers just behind the foreleg which means a clean miss or a kill shot. Experiences of the past told me I was going to get a center of the ribcage hit, through the boiler room, and I was right.

I and my hunting buddies shoot Mule deer at 400 yards plus every year, and know how and where to hold. We practice on varmints all spring and summer. Like with a traditional archer or shotgunner who kill game regularly, we don't always know all of the math to the Nth degree but lots and lots of practice and experience combined with super speed rounds bring it all together. Been doing it this way, successfully, for a long time now.

Don't know how, or more to the point WHY, a discussion of my wildcat cartridge idea went this direction. If ya'll want to shoot sedate catridges and do the turret twisting thing, go forth and be happy. Some of us do it another way, and we are also successful and have loads of fun with our methods. And, we kill our game cleanly and swiftly.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project.

Why would you want a short neck?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My .264 wm pushes the barnes 130 grain tsx at 3470 fps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.