Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Here's some pics of a rifle with some beautiful grain patterns. Can someone tell me whether it would be properly referred to as "Fiddle Back"?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=377760447

Also, these stripes appear to be perpendicular to the grain. Anyone know whether these patterns would weaken, strengthen or not do anything to the stock...other than aesthetically?

Any educated responses appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Draeb; 12/12/13.

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law that over-arches rulers and ruled alike"- C.S. Lewis
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if it would be called "fiddle back" or not, but that is one gorgeous stock!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Always called that a Tiger Stripe.. But the first time I saw a moose in the woods I ran all the way back to camp hollering "I saw a sow moose!" so I'm not the one to ask.....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Think that is fiddle back.

W

Last edited by woofer; 12/12/13.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, fiddleback is the correct term for that grain pattern.
Here are some fine samples.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=f...mp;ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=620

Last edited by VonGruff; 12/12/13.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I call fiddleback is narrower strips of dark wood and a lot closer together.

`Bring Enough Gun`
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by woofer
Always called that a Tiger Stripe.. But the first time I saw a moose in the woods I ran all the way back to camp hollering "I saw a sow moose!" so I'm not the one to ask.....

W

Ha!

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law that over-arches rulers and ruled alike"- C.S. Lewis
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If it did compromise the strength of the stock I'm sure it'd take a heavy hitting cartridge to cause any damage.....

I'm sure in a 6.5 Swede I ain't gotta worry about it.

I guess I'm mainly just curious about the proper term and whether it does weaken stocks or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No weakening, just added beauty. And yes, that one is a good one IMO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fiddleback, as some have pointed out, is much tighter than that. The figure in that particular stock is weak enough I would call it "loose curl" rather than fiddleback. It is almost certainly boardsawn which reduces the look on the broad vertical surfaces. The best fiddleback is quartersawn to show the figure best on the widest surfaces.

It literally is a case of the wood fibers undulating as they are laid down. It typically is more dense than non-fiddleback wood from the same exact tree and stronger and more stable. It is about how much wood is in the wood and how good the wood in the wood is.

Wood is a matrix surrounding a surprising amount of air. Build that matrix with stronger wood, laid down with fibers running in different directions to handle different stresses, and put more wood in it and it will be stronger.

It is often called curly in maple. I often wonder where the notion of tiger "tail" came from...

Here are a couple examples in maple of the difference in look between boardsawn and quartersawn. These two stocks came from right next to each other.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good info from Sitka deer.
I would call the stock referenced a fiddle back pattern, but as noted it is not a real tight pattern.
Maybe that should be the difference between fiddle back and tiger stripe pattern--how tight the pattern.
The knife handle below has a little tighter pattern, but not a high end piece.
I have some tiger stripe maple that is pretty soft, but most is fairly hard.
[Linked Image]
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks guys. Whether curly, fiddle back, or tiger stripped it's all beautiful, and if it means a stronger grain- or atleast not a weaker one- then i'm happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a 6.5x55 Mauser I regret selling to this day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Dang dude that thing is gorgeous.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
WOW

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is this marbled or fiddleback? A pre-war M70 270.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neither, really... The butt is mainly crotch wood. The black lines do not follow the annual rings perfectly and are caused by fungus growing in the wood. The microscopic fungus "hairs" release digestive enzymes that allows the fungus to use the digested materials.

The black is the left-over oxidized sugars that could not be absorbed.

True marbling is entirely random and usually much blacker.

Note: I realize there are some points simplified to the point one way of looking at the description could be called an error...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and it is gorgeous!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
yes that is what I have always known as fiddle back

those are some very fine rifles there.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
An old Stradivarius violin just sold for $2.3 million.
Yes when you look at the back side, it has "fiddle back".
Not quite as nice a pattern as some of the wood shown above.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 12/19/13.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, batch, 9 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,481
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.