Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hello, My buddy and I have the opportunity to each purchase a unit 34 landowner tag for the 2014 rifle season. The ranch is 13,000 acres but we were told the elk hang out above 8000 ft during the rifle season which consists of about 7000 acres. I was told there was decent numbers of 250"-280" bulls there with a few over 300". What should we expect to pay for these tags with accommodations on the property for 8 days (3 days before season to scout and 5 days hunting? The property is near Pinion. Thanks for any help. Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guided,or just the authorization plus food/lodging?

A 34 RO authorization usually brings $2500/3000 and up.

Last edited by SLM; 12/15/13.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
SLM, It's going to be semi-guided I believe. It was explained to me that there are a few family members at the lodge to show you around to scout and point you in the right direction. They would also be available to assist with retrieving your elk and quartering for the walk in cooler. The lodging is included with kitchen. You bring your own food and cook it. Thanks Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will your tags be ranch only, or are you able to hunt all of Unit 34? I hunted quite a bit around Pinon back around 2000 - 2004 for deer, our elk hunting now is nearer to Sacramento. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk specifics off line.

Where in upstate NY are you? We are originally from outside of Buffalo.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trying to remember an area around Pinion that would have 8000 ft. of elevation. Seems like where I have been was more like 4500.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Razz, That sounds great! I will send you out a pm with my phone number. I live between Rochester and Syracuse on Seneca lake near Watkins Glenn. I believe the tag is for the ranch only but not sure about that. I will call today and find out.

SSB, I really hope it's closer to what you said. I am going by a guy that I met about 6 monthes ago that has hunted this ranch in the past. I just read the email he sent and he said it was also near Cloudcroft? Do you know anything about this area? Thank you very much guys. Kevin

Romans 8-28
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The country west of Pinon and just east of Timberon is a bit over 8K. Access to this country is near Pinon but Pinon is in the 5000 to 6000 range -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can get all the elevation you can handle around Cloudcroft....beautifull area! If you have never been down that way, coming from NY you will be amazed. I was!

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
SSB, I sent a pm.

GregW, I spoke with my friend this afternoon. He mentioned the property was near Timberon! He had not mentioned that before. He told me if you come through one part of the ranch it's near Cloudcroft. He also mentioned Pinion but the ranch is closer to the other two towns. Thanks everyone. Kevin

Romans 8-28
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
woods1126,
A "ranch tag" only authorizes you to hunt on the ranch, not the public area surrounding, though still in #34. As you may know, there are NO non-resident rifle elk tags available on public lands. That law went into effect 2 years ago if I recall.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/16/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would estimate that the 5 day hunt with "accomodations" could go to $5,000 each. That is in addition to your bull tag. Don't forget to get USGS topographic maps that cover the entire property. You may need 2 or 3 to piece together. Get them at 1:24,000 scale to show good topographic features.
Topozone, out of Montana will take USGS maps and re-configure them and make you one complete map. Make sure you get the maps either in waterproof paper or spray them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
woods1126,
As you may know, there are NO non-resident rifle elk tags available on public lands. That law went into effect 2 years ago if I recall.

Huh?? Non residents can not apply for antlerless tags in the draw, but they can apply for bull tags. Also, landowner tags -bull or antlerless - are allowed for non-residents, both ranch only and unit wide.

Razz
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Razz
woods1126,
As you may know, there are NO non-resident rifle elk tags available on public lands. That law went into effect 2 years ago if I recall.

Huh?? Non residents can not apply for antlerless tags in the draw, but they can apply for bull tags. Also, landowner tags -bull or antlerless - are allowed for non-residents, both ranch only and unit wide.

Yeah, you are right on the non-resident elk clarification. There are a limited number of either sex tags plus the high quality bull tags at $780 for the draw.
My point to make was that there are no non-resident cow only tags available on public land.
As for a Ranch tag being valid Unit wide, we were told by the local warden that Ranch tags were only valid on the ranch they were purchased for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes on the ranch only, maybe I didn't word it clearly, must stay on the ranch

Razz
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As for a Ranch tag being valid Unit wide, we were told by the local warden that Ranch tags were only valid on the ranch they were purchased for.
Yeah, but the reality is that you will be able to hunt not only the deeded, but also the BLM, USFS and/or NM State Trust land that is leased. Not supposed to be that way, but that's the way that it is.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen

Yeah, but the reality is that you will be able to hunt not only the deeded, but also the BLM, USFS and/or NM State Trust land that is leased. Not supposed to be that way, but that's the way that it is.
Wow! I did not realize that. Does the leased land have to be adjacent to the private?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by mudhen

Wow! I did not realize that. Does the leased land have to be adjacent to the private?
It has to be within what the rancher considers to be "his" ranch. When I say that it's not supposed to be that way, I mean that it doesn't match up to the letter of the regs. If you run across a CO that's having a bad day or who has a hard on for the rancher, you might be cited.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would not want to get caught with a RO lic on public land.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Depends on the accomodations.... RO bull tags can go from $1,500 to easily over $2,500. Just depends on demand. Closer to the hunt, the lower the price can go oftentimes. Accomodations can be $50 per day for a beat up trailer to couple of $hundreds for a nicer lodge. Didn't see you specify which.

The Sacramentos are decent country. I think you'll find bigger bulls over in the Gila or up in northern NM.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.