Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
John: I know this subject is a bit old. You wrote about the Shaw MK-VII 6.5-06 in the October 2008 Handloader Magazine.

Here's why I am contacting you in regards to this article. I had Shaw rebarrel a 1903 Remington action in the 6.5-06 caliber. Since I received the rifle back from them it has been a dog. 1. Hard to clean 2. Groups around 1.5 @ 100yds. 3. The throat was so long, I couldn't reach the lands with a 140 grain bullet. After contacting Shaw and talking with one of their customer service folks, they told me that they used a SAAMI Spec. reamer, and that's how the chamber throat was set up. When I spoke with Shaw in the beginning of this project, I asked for the 6.5-06 Wildcat, not the A-Square, as I had fears of the A-Square and the long throat. Guess they didn't hear me on that point. What is your experince beyond the Mk-VII tests with E.,R. Shaw barrels? The metal work Shaw did was good, and I had a previous rifle barreled by them in Cal. 35 Whelen, and it is a tack driver.I am just a little frustrated by the lack of performance of this particular rig. I am now considering a rebarrel, in the same cal., with another barrel maker.

Regards

Jerry Eden

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I had my 6.5-'06 rifle built the gunsmith was a friend who was also a bench rest shooter. He used one of his Red Elliot reamers to cut the chamber, and built it as a hunting rifle (as opposed to some target standard or other). Anyway I can touch the lands with long bullets. The action is a Rem M700, and the barrel is a Shilen -- which shoots very well�

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

My experience with half-a-dozen Shaw barrels since they retooled a decade or so ago has been good. It sounds like the problem is the "SAAMI" throat. My rifle was chambered so 140's would easily reach the lands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JerryEden
I am just a little frustrated by the lack of performance of this particular rig. I am now considering a rebarrel, in the same cal., with another barrel maker.

Jerry Eden

Jerry,

I would strongly suggest that you contact gunsmith Ray Montgomery of Grand Junction, Co.

The 6.5/06 is his specialty. I would further suggest that you have him chamber it for the 6.5x64 Brenneke. (a.k.a: 6.5x.270) By using full length .270 brass, one cannot untentionally chamber a round in a .25/06. And it uses standard 6.5/06 dies. (Thus you won't have to buy new dies.) The only difference between the two is that the 6.5x.270 has a .050" longer neck.

Also if and when you send him your rifle, take a .270 case and seat your preferred bullet to the length you want and send it with the rifle. Instruct him to throat the chamber to that dummy round plus whatever bullet jump you wish. I did that and I can touch the lands with a 129 gr. Hornady SP. I was VERY pleased with the job he did for me. And he was reasonably priced and a short wait.

He usually advertises in the pages of Handloader or Rifle magazine. Hope this helps...

GH

P.S: He doesn't like Shilen barrels. I can explain why but would choose to do so by PM rather than on an open forum...

BTW: After the 1st of the year, I am sending him a 1903 action and have him fit a barrel in .256 Newton. smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't think Ray M. is alive . . .

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, If not, then I just talked to his ghost last week... smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Do you think Shaw would knock off a couple threads and rechamber for you? Even if you offered to pay a few bucks for the work as a good faith gesture, it might be worth a try before rebarrel. Certainly worth some effort/compromise on Shaw's part to make a happy customer.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I already had the barrel "set back" under the conditions Grasshopper suggested. It's just not a very good barrel. I talked with Shaw, over the phone and in person at the NRA show, and while they were nice enough, they explained they just couldn't do anymore for me. I like the idea of the 6.5X64, as I already use trimmed Remington 270 cases for my 6.5-06. No danger of a mix up here, as I use Winchester 25-06 cases for my 6-06, and I use Winchester 270 cases in the 270. Best solution is probably a yank and replace.

Thanks

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Shilen barrel has been on my rifle since about 1980, and still works fine. Most accurate three-shot group was in the 2s, but I forget exactly what 120 gr bullet that was. I usually go with the barrel that the smith likes to fit, unless I am working a wild hair or other.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In my humble opinion Shaw has grown maybe a little too fast say maybe over the last 10 years. I wouldn't want this type of bad press getting out. I agree on the Ray Montgomery comment...he's built 3 for me and he really knows his stuff. If anybody can fix it...Ray can. powdr

Ray's Gunshop
1-970-434-6162

Last edited by powdr; 12/20/13.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dying here, LOL. I shouldn't laugh, but I just gave up on a 6.5-06 that wouldn't shoot. Two barrels later and I am starting to think the 6.5-06 is finicky. My next one is a 6.5-284...nice brass and proven performance.

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Originally Posted by JerryEden
I am just a little frustrated by the lack of performance of this particular rig. I am now considering a rebarrel, in the same cal., with another barrel maker.

Jerry Eden

Jerry,

I would strongly suggest that you contact gunsmith Ray Montgomery of Grand Junction, Co.

The 6.5/06 is his specialty. I would further suggest that you have him chamber it for the 6.5x64 Brenneke. (a.k.a: 6.5x.270) By using full length .270 brass, one cannot untentionally chamber a round in a .25/06. And it uses standard 6.5/06 dies. (Thus you won't have to buy new dies.) The only difference between the two is that the 6.5x.270 has a .050" longer neck.

Also if and when you send him your rifle, take a .270 case and seat your preferred bullet to the length you want and send it with the rifle. Instruct him to throat the chamber to that dummy round plus whatever bullet jump you wish. I did that and I can touch the lands with a 129 gr. Hornady SP. I was VERY pleased with the job he did for me. And he was reasonably priced and a short wait.

He usually advertises in the pages of Handloader or Rifle magazine. Hope this helps...

GH

P.S: He doesn't like Shilen barrels. I can explain why but would choose to do so by PM rather than on an open forum...

BTW: After the 1st of the year, I am sending him a 1903 action and have him fit a barrel in .256 Newton. smile

Hi Edward. Long time no type.

Speaking of 256 Newton, I found an original Newton rifle so chambered at the last show. "Bob" the old timer has it. It has been hacked on a bit but still an original Newton rifle. He wants two large for it though. I might have paid that myself if it was cleaner.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.