Hop To
#8364706 12/17/13
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I've never owned a Glock before (shot different ones), but a deal came up on a Gen 4 G19 that I couldn't pass up. I'll have to say that it's a nice compact package with plenty of firepower. The guns shoots point of aim at 15 yds. (as far as I've shot it so far). I will have to put some night sights on it, but other than that it's good to go.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it, but in my opinion, the 19 is Glock's most useful offering. Small enough to be concealable, and large enough to shoot like a full size pistol.

9mm ammunition is light years ahead of where it was in the 80's, due to improvements in projectiles and propellants.

You could do a great deal worse than bringing a Glock 19 home.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never owned a Glock either. I have handled a few and I think if I were to buy one (and I might) it would be the 19.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned a G19 for 15 years.

They might be good for open carry for cops, but they are too big for me for concealed carry.

I played around with it.
I built a 48 pound triple recoil spring assembly.
That was too fast for the magazine and too fast for the trigger.
So I doubled up the magazine springs and got a New York trigger.
I have been shooting double powder charges with it.
It takes a strong grip to chamber a round, and I have not seen any one else who could to it.
A little girl could do if there were a handle on the slide.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have owned a G19 for 15 years.

They might be good for open carry for cops, but they are too big for me for concealed carry.

I have been shooting double powder charges with it.

You are a retard and a girlie man to boot, since you can't hide a G19

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
an
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I played around with it.
I built a 48 pound triple recoil spring assembly.
That was too fast for the magazine and too fast for the trigger.
So I doubled up the magazine springs and got a New York trigger.
I have been shooting double powder charges with it....

.....uh......why? Idle curiosity or are you vying for a Darwinian award?

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
F
F
jstall - welcome to the world of GLOCK pistols. You now have one of the most reliable handguns ever made and a perfect choice for self-defense.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am leaning the same way in my quest for a mid-size carry pistol. The G19 really seems like a great candidate, I'll be anxious to hear how you like yours. On another note - you said you got a good deal. It seems most are right at $500, is that in the ball park of yours or did you beat that? Want to know if I should just pay $500 or keep looking...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by freddiemerc
jstall - welcome to the world of GLOCK pistols. You now have one of the most reliable handguns ever made and a perfect choice for self-defense.

And the Glock 19 is the best Glock. It is also the LAST pistol I'd part with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love mine. It goes with me everywhere.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
...And the Glock 19 is the best Glock. It is also the LAST pistol I'd part with.
TAK, what sights do you use? Any other alterations?

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
...And the Glock 19 is the best Glock. It is also the LAST pistol I'd part with.
TAK, what sights do you use? Any other alterations?

I did TLEE's Rx of a fluff and buff, a 3.5# connector, and a NY1(green) trigger spring. Weighs a tad under six pounds, five if you hook the gauge on the end of the trigger, very revolverish, NO stacking, it just goes. I'm anti-appendix carry but I'd not have a problem doing so with that trigger. It just has Meprolights on it currently be I have a set of Heine Straight 8's I need to install on it.

Edit: The sights I bought are the Ledge Pros, that's what I'd reccomend for a carry gun.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/17/13. Reason: added info
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I could only own two 9mm pistols, they would be a Browning Hi-Power & a Glock 19.

If I could only have one 9mm Pistol, it would be a Glock 19. I bought my Glock 19 22 years ago. And It's still going, & going, & going ! wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/17/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well I'm in good shape then chlinstructor, I've already got a Hi-Power and a Sig 228. The Hi-Power is my all time favorite, but I'm liking this G19. I ordered an Alien Gear IWB holster today, already have 2 Blackhawk OWB holsters. Probably shoot it some more this weekend, if I'm not deer hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jstall
I've never owned a Glock before (shot different ones), but a deal came up on a Gen 4 G19 that I couldn't pass up. I'll have to say that it's a nice compact package with plenty of firepower. The guns shoots point of aim at 15 yds. (as far as I've shot it so far). I will have to put some night sights on it, but other than that it's good to go.

I have owned several of the Glocks with night sights, and I can say that the standard sights serve me better.

When the light is so low that I need "Night sights", I can't see my target.

When it is light enough to see my target, the night sights suck.

Stock sights for me.

Owned G22's, G23's, G27's, G17's.

I now own a G21 Gen IV for nightstand gun.
G19 Gen III for car carry.
SIG 938 for "on my person" carry.

My favorite Glock, hands down, the G19.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a preference for the Gen 3 over the Gen 4, or the other way around?

Referring to the 19.

Last edited by muleshoe; 12/18/13.

Black Cows Matter!
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
From what I've been reading on GlockTalk some prefer the Gen 3 and some prefer the Gen 4 with reduced grip size and the ability to add different backstraps. I personally like the reduced grip size of the Gen 4, it fits my hand better.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redleg172
I am leaning the same way in my quest for a mid-size carry pistol. The G19 really seems like a great candidate, I'll be anxious to hear how you like yours. On another note - you said you got a good deal. It seems most are right at $500, is that in the ball park of yours or did you beat that? Want to know if I should just pay $500 or keep looking...

New Glocks are going for $509 - $529 around here (GA). $500 is a good price.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Originally Posted by jstall

I have owned several of the Glocks with night sights, and I can say that the standard sights serve me better.

When the light is so low that I need "Night sights", I can't see my target.

When it is light enough to see my target, the night sights suck.

Stock sights for me.

Owned G22's, G23's, G27's, G17's.

I now own a G21 Gen IV for nightstand gun.
G19 Gen III for car carry.
SIG 938 for "on my person" carry.

My favorite Glock, hands down, the G19.

I agree on all accounts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (3333vl, Al_Nyhus, 7mmStwer, 7887mm08, 35, anothergun, 15 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,040
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.