Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
Glock 26 or 19, if all she is going to do is keep it in a car. Or an xd.( I always forget about them).

bam, my wife shoots a g26 pretty darn well, and its also a great choice for anyone

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It will depend on her sensitivity to recoil. I got my wife a 380 bersa for no other reason than she was comfortable shooting it. I really wanted to get her a revolver but a standard power 38 was too much for her. (she is about 106 lbs) and not a shooter per say.

She tried a few of my 9mm's and they were too much as well. I would suggest finding out what her tolerance will be. You want her to shoot the gun and if the recoil is too much she just won't. i have been in enough training to see many women pick up a 38 revolver and put it down after 2 shots. Women gravitate to the semi auto's because they have less muzzle flash and usually less recoil. At least that has been my experience with new users.

There isn't much wrong with a 380 today with the current bullets. I would consider it on the lower end of an SD weapon but would not want to get shot with one. Ruger, Bersa, Sig all make decent 380's or 9mm's.

as with any semi auto, make sure she can rack the slide. I would not suggest a kahr pistol until she tries it. they are a little harder to rack than most.

it will also depend on how she is going to carry. Will she purse carry or IWB or ??? a glock 26 isn't something most women can conceal on the body. Its quite fat. I can't even conceal that gun much less anything above the size of my XDS or Shield.

if she can handle a 9mm, then you have the SW Shield, XDS, Sig p250 etc... If she wants something a little bigger you can look at the Ruger SR9c or the SW M&P 9c. These are compacts and not subcompacts like the shield, kahr or XDS

Last edited by semi; 12/16/13.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks all. I knew I'd get some wisdom here. I'll prob start out by taking her to the afore mentioned range, take my own guns for her to try, and rent a parcel of those mentioned here (a nice feature of that range).

I actually find my little J-frame 357 fairly easy to shoot with 38s which is what it's diet is 98% of the time but other than having her try it, I will take the tact that unless she shows unexpected proficiency with it, it will go low in the draft.

This could be a process, or for further lack of interest on her part, a one-occasion affair. I will not push it. It seems intuitive though to start her on some .22s after basic gun safety and then depending on inclinations, move up a bit and see how she does.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Look at some of the Kahr pistols in 9mm, like the CW9

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
George,

hope that all of this info posted by others--when funneled into the hopper--will help you out with your daughter and her needs.

blue;

i "see" said blue as he looked through the wooden window.

here is an epiphany--the "real world" is always beyond that wooden window...

some young fellows--after a stint in the academy--along with a few years on patrol--can all too easily showcase their "inexperience", whilst holding fast to things they've "learned", groupthink or otherwise.

you make mention that your wife went to the Shield--a fairly new, "somewhat untried" striker fired rig with a safety.

i might ask, did you remove the safety, so she won't forget to disengage it in a "moment of truth" type crisis?

either way--if you insist on an auto for her, why not climb the ladder a few more rungs--into the rarified air of the HK p7 m8--with neither "safety" nor confoundings. i've worked with several women using this platform, and they all excel shooting it--would that all could have one--and carry it. but they can't, for multiple reasons--prices, etc., aside.

the slide is murder for them to manipulate--whether slingshot or overhand, as the spring is so strong it will slam and seat cartridges whose overall length is mistakenly to excess--something that will choke all other rigs.

i would wish the best for you in your work--a very commendable profession--two in my family ply the trade. the same goes for your wife, and her wise decision to protect herself--along with your efforts to assist her--as you will not always be there to do so...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not a woman but I got a P7 waiting for me when I get back.

I will let you all know if I give it the 'Flave stamp of approval.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Thanks all. I knew I'd get some wisdom here. I'll prob start out by taking her to the afore mentioned range, take my own guns for her to try, and rent a parcel of those mentioned here (a nice feature of that range).

I actually find my little J-frame 357 fairly easy to shoot with 38s which is what it's diet is 98% of the time but other than having her try it, I will take the tact that unless she shows unexpected proficiency with it, it will go low in the draft.

This could be a process, or for further lack of interest on her part, a one-occasion affair. I will not push it. It seems intuitive though to start her on some .22s after basic gun safety and then depending on inclinations, move up a bit and see how she does.

I haven't read all the replies because oftentimes a reply is not an answer. The overwhelming opinions these days revolve around the semi auto and they do have their place. I would recommend a revolver and probably in the 357.

You can always shoot 38 special in the 357 to become familiar with the gun and do it cheap and efficient. Above all, they are safe. Anytime you have a semi auto in a hot condition, they are too easy to get firing, even when you don't want them to.

A revolver takes practice too, but the function of making them fire is much more deliberate and as a result they are safer all the time you are not shooting or preparing to shoot.

Sometimes we over value an aspect of a gun and forget what the intended purpose is. In self defense, there are few if any reading this that would ever need to defend their life with a firearm. It is better to be more familiar with the gun and have one that is still lethal but less likely to harm the person using it.

I have all sorts of handguns and have taught safe gun handling for many years. It isn't gender related when it comes to safety, women are actually more likely to take instruction quicker and more precise than men. Familiarity has everything to do with any gun handling, and day in and day out, the revolver is still what I would recommend.

I have a Smith and Wesson 657+ and it is a great gun for protection as well as hunting. It is small enough for concealment and accurate and powerful enough for hunting. They aren't cheap but can still be had for around $800.00...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm not a woman but I got a P7 waiting for me when I get back.

I will let you all know if I give it the 'Flave stamp of approval.

Travis

Aren't those made in Thailand?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merry Christmas HiVel, I made you a Christmas card.

It's a picture of me helping run a rifle qual in the real world. But I can't take credit for the rifle instruction, since I was contracted as the lead pistol instructor (passing along all the things I'd "learned"....did I use the quotation marks right?).

I added snowflakes and gave myself a Santa hat, 'Tis-The-Season you know.

Sincerely,
Inexperienced Youngster

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
take a look at the little sig p238

IC B3

F
F
Handgun selection tips are below, but do not forget about the right carry gear, dress, and training as well.

The type of handgun to be selected should be based upon a number of factors, including the intended use for this pistol/revolver (target shooting, hunting, personal protection, etc.), the cost of the handgun and its ammunition, the amount of recoil, and the ease of handling.

Final Checklist

1. Determine the intended use of the handgun. Will it have a single or multi-purpose use? Will it be used for competitive shooting, hunting, and/or personal protection? Should it have fixed or adjustable sights? What will be the best caliber and barrel length for the intended use?

2. Decide how much money to spend. While it may be necessary to stay within a budget, don't economize quality.

3. Is the ammunition for the handgun easily available? How much shooting will be done? How much does the ammunition cost?

4. Study the various makes and models of handguns.

5. Seek the advice of a knowledgeable person, preferably whom you trust.

6. Be sure that the handgun fits the hand properly. Be able to obtain a correct grip on the handgun and be sure that the index finger can easily reach the trigger. Proper handgun fit is very important. Make doubly sure the gun is unloaded, point it in a safe direction and then do the following: Hold the gun in the non-firing hand, place the trigger finger of your firing hand on the trigger--locating the distal pad or distal joint on the trigger face as you would when firing--then roll your hand back from the trigger and grip the gun ensuring the web is high on the backstrap. If the muzzle is in line with the bones of the forearm with your finger at its proper location on the trigger, the gun is a fit.

a. If the gun's backstrap cannot be centered in the web of your hand, midway between thumb and forefinger joints, while the crease of your trigger finger is on the trigger, then the gun is too big for you.

b. If your hand has a lot of extra slack, with your trigger finger curving far out from the side of the gun (so that you would be able to put a large portion of your trigger finger through the trigger guard), then the gun is small for your hand. Note that the small gun still lines up well with the forearm bones.

7. Consider the handgun's simplicity of operation and ease of cleaning.

8. Obtain information about the handgun's manufacturer. Are parts and service readily available? Is it likely that parts and service will be available in the future?

9. Does the handgun model have a record of trouble-free dependability?

10. Does the handgun have a warranty or guarantee? Review these documents.

11. Once you have your selection of potential handguns down to a few that meet all of your purchase criteria, go to a range that rents all, or most, of these handguns and try each one until you've found the one that is right for you. If you have the opportunity to attend a handgun match in your area, this is an ideal time to get a lot of free information about the handguns you are considering and maybe the owner will allow you to test fire it.

The most important thing is to find a handgun you are comfortable with (this includes the fit). If you are not comfortable and/or don't like it, you won't shoot it for practice. No practice = not proficient. Not proficient and there will not be a need to have one.

12. Purchase the handgun from a reputable person or dealer. If you are Active Duty Military, Retired or Reserve Military, or National Guard, contact us for a special purchasing consideration for which you may not be aware.

You are probably looking at the list above and thinking, wow, this is a lot of stuff. It is, but it isn�t. So many people just go and buy a good-looking handgun or one that could handle any situation, to include a bear; these are things that should not be part of your consideration. The list above will drive what you need (not want).

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
George,

hope that all of this info posted by others--when funneled into the hopper--will help you out with your daughter and her needs.

blue;

i "see" said blue as he looked through the wooden window.

here is an epiphany--the "real world" is always beyond that wooden window...

some young fellows--after a stint in the academy--along with a few years on patrol--can all too easily showcase their "inexperience", whilst holding fast to things they've "learned", groupthink or otherwise.

you make mention that your wife went to the Shield--a fairly new, "somewhat untried" striker fired rig with a safety.

i might ask, did you remove the safety, so she won't forget to disengage it in a "moment of truth" type crisis?

either way--if you insist on an auto for her, why not climb the ladder a few more rungs--into the rarified air of the HK p7 m8--with neither "safety" nor confoundings. i've worked with several women using this platform, and they all excel shooting it--would that all could have one--and carry it. but they can't, for multiple reasons--prices, etc., aside.

the slide is murder for them to manipulate--whether slingshot or overhand, as the spring is so strong it will slam and seat cartridges whose overall length is mistakenly to excess--something that will choke all other rigs.

i would wish the best for you in your work--a very commendable profession--two in my family ply the trade. the same goes for your wife, and her wise decision to protect herself--along with your efforts to assist her--as you will not always be there to do so...

I agree with your recommendation on the P7. I came across your post as I am in the hunt for another M8 right now and was perusing the handgun forum to see if anyone else has the P7 affliction that I do.

They are awesome guns to shoot. Very natural point of aim for most people and a very simple manual of arms. They are a bit top-heavy and do require a bit of strength or technique to master. That said, I absolutely love the PSP and M8 I have and would suggest anyone who hasn't yet, try out this gun.

It is a bit to deal with in certain one-handed drills. Slide lock is really tough single-handedly, but nothing is perfect. It is also a more expensive gun and a little more challenging to find holsters, but worth it in my estimation.

Last edited by Tarkio; 12/18/13.

Montana MOFO
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tarkio,

these rigs are at the very top. i could list many reasons why--but likely, you already know.

i know a few guys who use them, but the only two guys i know personally here on the 'fire that use them are shrapnel and scenarshooter. they both have a long history with the platform--and both of these men are at the very top of the heap in the shooting disciplines.

i've used the p7 for 26 years now--in my experience i'd have to say i would choose it again--above all else.

if you take a half dozen rigs and let a woman shoot all of them--they always do best shooting the p7. the problem is the hand strength needed to manipulate the slide from a closed position--the spring is so strong that almost all women really struggle with it. if they have an open slide situation--women can easily eject the spent mag, insert fresh mag, and squeeze grip to release the slide--very simple for them in this regard (they can also overhand release the slide, but this is slightly slower than releasing the slide via squeezing the grip).

extremely fast in action--with open slide you eject spent mag, insert fresh mag, squeeze grip, and press trigger to fire. early on there were some recommendations by hk to press the trigger rearward prior to--or during--squeezing the grip, to instantaneously fire when the slide is in battery (in my mind, it wasn't a good idea).

the p7 should always be carried hot--it is very safe--and eliminates those fears of some who debate "hot vs. cold" carry.

the design and engineering of this platform was at the very pinnacle--but apparently the market/world was not ready for such innovation, and the prices chased off would be users. one notable "negative" is that with certain powders, your brass will be slung some 30 feet--but these rigs really get with the program. on the other hand--if desired, you can "lighten charges" for cast bullets and your informal practice rounds--down to a certain point--a point that all other handguns will instantly choke on.

maybe shrap or scenar will chime in...

meanwhile, back at the ranch: deflave is about to "come out of the cave"--and into the light--of the p7...

the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Tarkio,

these rigs are at the very top. i could list many reasons why--but likely, you already know.

i know a few guys who use them, but the only two guys i know personally here on the 'fire that use them are shrapnel and scenarshooter. they both have a long history with the platform--and both of these men are at the very top of the heap in the shooting disciplines.

i've used the p7 for 26 years now--in my experience i'd have to say i would choose it again--above all else.

if you take a half dozen rigs and let a woman shoot all of them--they always do best shooting the p7. the problem is the hand strength needed to manipulate the slide from a closed position--the spring is so strong that almost all women really struggle with it. if they have an open slide situation--women can easily eject the spent mag, insert fresh mag, and squeeze grip to release the slide--very simple for them in this regard (they can also overhand release the slide, but this is slightly slower than releasing the slide via squeezeing the grip).

extremely fast in action--with open slide you eject spent mag, insert fresh mag, squeeze grip, and press trigger to fire. early on there were some recommendations by hk to press the trigger rearward prior to--or during--squeezing the grip, to instantaneously fire when the slide is in battery (in my mind, it wasn't a good idea).

the p7 should always be carried hot--it is very safe--and eliminates those fears of some who debate "hot vs. cold" carry.

the design and engineering of this platform was at the very pinnacle--but apparently the market/world was not ready for such innovation, and the prices chased off would be users. one notable "negative" is that with certain powders, your brass will be slung some 30 feet--but these rigs really get with the program. on the other hand--if desired, you can "lighten charges" for cast bullets and your informal practice rounds--down to a certain point--a point that all other handguns will instantly choke on.

maybe shrap or scenar will chime in...

High_Vel, yes the gun is a pretty dang good piece of equipment. I've carried a P7 PSP for years. Unfortunately, I've not shot/practiced with it as much as with my USPs just because of time constraints the past few years.

I have an immaculate/unfired M8 that I can't quite bear to carry and shoot which is why I am in the market for another M8 or maybe even M13 to carry and shoot.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Obviously, there are many fine options. I always suggest a revolver in 38 Special for women & even occasional male shooters.
No safety or magazine just pull the trigger & go boom. My wife has small hands & carries a S&W Ladysmith that has been ported, action slicked up, night sights added, & after market grips. For personal protection the ability to fire rapidly far surpasses fire power. I teach shooting skills & I see far to many beginners that have to have a big semi-auto with a large capacity magazine. In a panic many forget to remove the safety or properly seat the magazine. If using a semi-auto those without a safety are better for defense. I believe in KISS.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Merry Christmas HiVel, I made you a Christmas card.

It's a picture of me helping run a rifle qual in the real world. But I can't take credit for the rifle instruction, since I was contracted as the lead pistol instructor (passing along all the things I'd "learned"....did I use the quotation marks right?).

I added snowflakes and gave myself a Santa hat, 'Tis-The-Season you know.

Sincerely,
Inexperienced Youngster

[Linked Image]

'Tis the eve of Christmas Eve...

i left Blue with some well wishes, but he has left me with a question about his usage of "quotation marks"

at times, something like the Socratic Method just might be preferred:

"if you can't grammar with the regular boys, how will you grammar with the big boys?"

...time to wind you up and let you go--right on back to the days of grammar school. it's a special place to be----you know--things like "i" before "e" except after "c"....

epiphany #2: only you, can make Blue look more rediculous than you already have...

in my last post i referred to the analogy of the "wooden window" as i can't escape my past years in the construction field.

possibly the very common analogy of "thinking outside the box" might be preferred...

perhaps try reaching that right hand over, just past your left shoulder, and knock on the inside wall. it could be that someone down there in Texas just might turn that crank on the side there--until the lid flips open, and "Blue in the box" pops out--

"blinded by the light"

now about that pic you posted: you need to be very careful about putting these types of images up for viewing--lest you "skeer" all of the men away, leaving you all by your lonesome--to fruitlessly argue issues--with yourself.

i do recall there's a forum for "AR and Tactical Rifles" where it will neatly fit. some might call it the place of "misfit boys and their toys"--though surely not i. get someone to take you by the hand, and make sure those little elves scurry on along right behind you...

now about that Shield in general, and Handguns in particular: would imagine you've learned to gun a few rigs in your day--always a good thing. but keep in mind there are some here (and there), who over the years have learned to gun many, many rigs/platforms--and make it their business to know some of their particulars--as well as mastering their usage in various shooting stagings. additional interesting details such as engineering, construction, materials, attributes good and bad, how to help others excel shooting them at higher speeds, which ones might be "best" for CC with respect to certain individuals, etc., etc., are always nice to work/muse upon.

feel at liberty to counsel me (and others too), about some of those facets in the field of handgunning, and i'll reluctantly--reluctantly--assist you in showcasing your own ignorance and "inexperience"--and i'll do it with a note of sorrow too--as i'd much rather focus on positives...

now once again, just like last time--i'll leave you on another positive note: i really do wish you, your wife, and your kids well this holiday season--and in all the years to come...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, are you drunk?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel--good post.

For CC, above all else is safe carry and 100% reliability. A simple manual of arms, too.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
D
Do you need a personal loan? OR A business loan to start up

a business of your own? We offer loans to individuals and

companies at worldwide level. Our Well Known Financial

Company Has Earned a Huge Goodwill in Providing Venture

Capital Finance Services to Our Clients . Our Capital

Financial Company Provides Financial Solutions for Big

Projects like It, Surface Transportation, Medical

Infrastructure and So On. If you are interested in our

services, kindly contact us

springinvestmentltddhotmail.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dickson123
Do you need a personal loan? OR A business loan to start up

a business of your own? We offer loans to individuals and

companies at worldwide level. Our Well Known Financial

Company Has Earned a Huge Goodwill in Providing Venture

Capital Finance Services to Our Clients . Our Capital

Financial Company Provides Financial Solutions for Big

Projects like It, Surface Transportation, Medical

Infrastructure and So On. If you are interested in our

services, kindly contact us

springinvestmentltddhotmail.com

Your gun definitely sucks, and you're most certainly holding it wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,731
Posts18,535,099
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.