Have had both, now I have Sako's.

Low bolt lift, accurate, light, .... can't ask for much more

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/17/13.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
That 20" barrel is a deal breaker for me.

The 25-06 is a 22.44" barrel which isn't bad....I can live with that

Rob
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a 3-pos safety and CRF. I also like the EW's barrel contour with fluting... stiff but light.

I'm putting mine in a Mc Edge, Talley Lwt Ex Lows, etc.

PF, 2-pos safety, and Monte Carlo are not my thing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I prefer a 3-pos safety and CRF. I also like the EW's barrel contour with fluting... stiff but light.

Makes sense and sounds like a awesome project!

I think though that i am going to go with the Finnlight...

Rob
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

I agree...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a Extreme Weather for 5 days this summer! It is now replaced with a finnlight and have bought 2 more sakos since. The Winchester felt cheap and fit and finish was not even remotely close to being in the same league as the sako. That was my first and last winchester I will ever own. Yuck!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the chambering you're looking for, but I love the ergonomics of my imported finnlight with the fluted barrel and Recknagel sights. It's been near perfection straight out the box and I could not ask for a better fit for my dimensions. If I did not routinely use the iron sights, I'd lean toward the plain jane finnlight, but being I cannot live without irons, this particular version is mandatory for my wants.

A while back I posted a video of me running rounds through this rifle, along the lines of the D'Arcy Echol videos, and it goes through six rounds slick and clean as a whistle while at a blazing speed! The slickest feeding out the box production rifle I've owned. Gives custom rifles a run for the money. Very easy to shoot well.

But, it all boils down to fit. If this shoe fits, it's a ton of a great gun for the money.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is a beautiful rifle Gary!

Rob
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Before they started importing those I had one made up with a 23.5" barrel and I put it in an Mc Edge stock.

mines stainless though

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako. It's not even a contest.

Sako will be more accurate, the action will be slicker and the trigger will be better.

My Sako 25-06 will put three Noslers BT, TTSX or sierras in the mid to high .4s at a 100.

Dink

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Question for the folks that buy Extreme Weathers and restock them, why not just buy a Ultimate Shadow SS for restocking and save yourself a few hundred bucks? Only difference I really see in the barrreled action is the barrel fluting, am I missing anything here?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did just that. Put the stock I wanted on it and it had the 24" barrel in 30-06 I was looking for. I have to get it beaded still.

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by treefity
Question for the folks that buy Extreme Weathers and restock them, why not just buy a Ultimate Shadow SS for restocking and save yourself a few hundred bucks? Only difference I really see in the barrreled action is the barrel fluting, am I missing anything here?

Pull the B&C Stock and sell it for $150 - $200... then you've netted back the fluting for free. Lets face it, the standard plastic stock is worth nada by comparison.

Not everyone will want the fluting weight-savings however, and I get that.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
I have both rifles.

The Sako FL in 270 WSM and the Win EW in 300 WSM.

I prefer the Extreme Weather rifle personally and have no problem with the factory stock, in fact I like it and it shoots very well.

Both rifles shoot well but over all, I pick the EW rifle more often.

Just my .02.

Why do u pick it more often?

As I said, both rifles shoot very well.

I personally just like the feel of the EW more.

Hard to quantify, just how it is for me.

Both nice, quality rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by harv3589
I have both rifles.

The Sako FL in 270 WSM and the Win EW in 300 WSM.

I prefer the Extreme Weather rifle personally and have no problem with the factory stock, in fact I like it and it shoots very well.

Both rifles shoot well but over all, I pick the EW rifle more often.

Just my .02.

Why do u pick it more often?

As I said, both rifles shoot very well.

I personally just like the feel of the EW more.

Hard to quantify, just how it is for me.

Both nice, quality rifles.

Makes complete sense to me...

Rob
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Nope! smile

He pretty much nailed it huh Bob. I like the fluted EW barrels though. So much that I bought a new take off for $50.00 and slapped it on my 2008 limited edition 300 wsm fwt and it's damn near perfect now. Wood stock and all wink grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Treefity did indeed nail it! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

The only reason I was considering the EW was because I found a used one, so it was about the same price as the Ultimate shadow SS...

Rob
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Not the chambering you're looking for, but I love the ergonomics of my imported finnlight with the fluted barrel and Recknagel sights. It's been near perfection straight out the box and I could not ask for a better fit for my dimensions. If I did not routinely use the iron sights, I'd lean toward the plain jane finnlight, but being I cannot live without irons, this particular version is mandatory for my wants.

A while back I posted a video of me running rounds through this rifle, along the lines of the D'Arcy Echol videos, and it goes through six rounds slick and clean as a whistle while at a blazing speed! The slickest feeding out the box production rifle I've owned. Gives custom rifles a run for the money. Very easy to shoot well.

Lovely rifle Gary. Great optics and usable iron sights too! 9.3x62? Do you have a link to the video you posted? I couldn't find them. I take it what you were setting out to demonstrate is that in practice the 85 design is actually about as CRF as most current mass production mauser-type actions are. I have had exactly this debate with folks before over the 85 design. It is actually more CRF than most folks give it credit for, and this is because it feeds so smoothly. I would argue the 85 is in practice actually more CRF than say the Ruger 77 Hawkeye, at least out of the box.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,752
Posts18,514,665
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.