Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All -

Wondering if we have any MBA grads here? I'm 1 year out of being done with my undergrad (night school) and thinking an MBA would be the next logical step.

I have quite a few years of management/business experience and I'm in my mid-30's so it's not like a typical 21 year old trying to go MBA right away.

Just wondering what others' experience was with grad school and if you felt the MBA was worth it.

My grades are excellent (4.0) so I know I can gain admission.
And because I know some will ask - I have zero student loans. I'll owe nothing for my bachelors so I'm not stacking debt on debt.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to work for a company that will pay for you to get the MBA part time evenings and night classes.

Last edited by RaySendero; 12/19/13.

Ray
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It depends.

There is no shortage of MBAs, and unless you are talking about Harvard Business School or Wharton, it won't lead to a sure ticket on the fast track. Degrees from prestigious schools carry considerably more weight. OTOH, it can't hurt.

When my son got back from Iraq (Army NG) he got his MBA going part time, and it didn't lead to rapid promotion with his (large) company where he is mid-career. However, it may yet pay off. I know you are no longer in the military, but a masters has become virtually essential for officer promotions, certainly for field grades.

Keep in mind that most employment and promotional situations involve some level of competition, so anything that will get you noticed or give you an edge, will help. Looking only at minimal requirements is a losing proposition. Second place is worthless.

It can also depend on what you specialize in for your MBA.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 12/19/13.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would ask why do you want it ?

My wife has a Masters and I went to the school of hard knocks.( No degree) I have out earned her since the day I got out of the Airforce. Her reason was more personal, she promised her Dad she would finish it. We will most likely never recoupe the $20k we spent for that paper. Oh well, it made her happy and I am proud of her.

Sometimes it's not about your education, it is more about what you can do that the next guy can't.I am lucky, I can fix stuff. That is a waning trait amongst Americans nowadays. Most people just want to sit infront of a computer at a desk. To many in the workforce have that skill already.
I separated from the AF in 1993, I have not missed a day of work since I got out. Lots of people with letters after their name haven't been so lucky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Best if your employer pays for it. Shows good faith from both parties.
2. If you are going to extend the effort, go to a very, very good school. Lots of mediocre schools offering MBA's that are not worth much in the marketplace.
3. Some of the very best require a full time commitment. However, done right, your sign on bonus can wipe out any debt.
4. Again, don't waste your time with any but the truly good schools.
5. Last thought, your next logical step is to get a job and get your new career started. Then see #1.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is the MBA worth it?

Depends on what you want or plan to be when you grow up. My sister received her MBA from Clemson. She's a teacher and the attainment definitely increased her pay and positioned her for a district director, which is 4 times her current pay.

In comparison, I'm at the management level for a business unit within a very large Fortune company. I feel that none of my university investments got me to where I am. It was all hands on, hard work and being street smart.

Congrats on your accomplishments and the very impressive GPA!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was the squadron commander of a 98 man student group at a University. the majority were engineering students. In that situation, I encouraged the brightest and hardest working to get an MBA. The world is full of engineers. Those with the technical and business expertise will be the real leaders in the civilian world. I still feel that is wise advice for most non us invests specialties.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife has 2 Masters degrees and is currently working on her third. Had the dean of her school tell her in an interview to "get all the education you can for the job you hope to get cause once you get the job there will not be time". We can see the doors opening already.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The three MBA programs I am interested in are Marquette University, Booth and Kellogg.

I want it because I enjoy the coursework and everyone and their brother has a bachelor's these days. I went back because I could do it for free and because I was pinging that ceiling where I simply can not advance anymore without some form of paper.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
(snip)

In comparison, I'm at the management level for a business unit within a very large Fortune company. I feel that none of my university investments got me to where I am. It was all hands on, hard work and being street smart.

Congrats on your accomplishments and the very impressive GPA!

That's been my exeperience as an engineer, a masters or doctorate would not increase my salary nor would it make a difference in terms of advancement.

My experience has been the knowledge gained in a given field is 1000 times more important and valuable in one's career than advanced degrees. Not to mention two more years in school is two more years you're not earing a salary.

Final thought is 99 times out of 100 those that come straight out of an MBA program into management position and have no experience in a given field make the worst possible managers.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Momentum. You've already adjusted your life to school.

Since you are in the habit and routine of studying, just keep going.

It's too easy to stop once you have your bachelors, then it's harder to get going again.

JMO

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishdog52
1. Best if your employer pays for it. Shows good faith from both parties.
2. If you are going to extend the effort, go to a very, very good school. Lots of mediocre schools offering MBA's that are not worth much in the marketplace.
3. Some of the very best require a full time commitment. However, done right, your sign on bonus can wipe out any debt.
4. Again, don't waste your time with any but the truly good schools.
5. Last thought, your next logical step is to get a job and get your new career started. Then see #1.

+1,000,000

MBA's and JD's have become a very saturated market in the general sense, because so many kids who don't know what they want to do in life just stay in school for a few more years and get these degrees. Unless you have a very specific reason for getting an MBA and/or can go to a top-tier school, it's likely not worthwhile. Being in your mid-30's is also a strike against you when applying to many top-tier B-schools. There are some outliers who break the mold, but not a lot.

With that said, only you can decide if it's the right move. I'd just make sure I had a valid reason and specific end goal before taking the plunge. It's not a wise endeavor to take with the idea that you'll see how everything plays out later unless you're going to an elite school like Harvard, Wharton or Stanford.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's not a guarantee but it improves your chances in some kinds of positions. Some schools offer a generic MBA, some offer specific areas of emphasis.

As others indicated, any time you can get the company you're working for to pay for advanced education (my daughter is in this situation now with her employer paying for her MBA) it's at least a double benefit.

The question comes down to what you want to do career-wise and whether an MBA furthers that or not.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants to get into the 7 figure business world it will most certainly help as it's good beginning to develop a specialty. Otherwise, I think experience is just as valuable.

Even with experience and a 4.0, it can be difficult to score one of the Ivy League schools.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/20/13.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Even with experience and a 4.0, it can be difficult to score one of the Ivy League schools.

"Everyone" applying to the Ivies has stellar grades, GMAT scores and experience. You need a great story, diversity or serious connections to score admission.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

"Everyone" applying to the Ivies has stellar grades, GMAT scores and experience. You need a great story, diversity or serious connections to score admission.

Agreed. Though I did read somewhere recently that the average GPA going into HBS and Wharton was the 3.8 range. GMAT over 715 will be required as well.

My only hope is that I'm not applying to be a full time type of student but for their part-time Saturday programs at Kellogg and Booth. As for Marquette - I KNOW I can get in there as well.

Dream is Kellogg with Booth #2

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
The three MBA programs I am interested in are Marquette University, Booth and Kellogg.

I want it because I enjoy the coursework and everyone and their brother has a bachelor's these days. I went back because I could do it for free and because I was pinging that ceiling where I simply can not advance anymore without some form of paper.

Booth and Kellogg are in a whole different league than Marquette. They're both top-tier schools that provide a lot of valuable connections. You'll need a compelling reason for your MBA if you apply, though.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Booth and Kellogg are in a whole different league than Marquette. They're both top-tier schools that provide a lot of valuable connections. You'll need a compelling reason for your MBA if you apply, though.

That's exactly why I want to go there.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Agreed. Though I did read somewhere recently that the average GPA going into HBS and Wharton was the 3.8 range. GMAT over 715 will be required as well.

My only hope is that I'm not applying to be a full time type of student but for their part-time Saturday programs at Kellogg and Booth. As for Marquette - I KNOW I can get in there as well.

Dream is Kellogg with Booth #2

Is part-time a must? If you can score admission to Kellogg or Booth, the full-time program offers so much more.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Part time is the best chance to get admitted at my age. According to the admin people I've spoken to at both.

Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.