Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Vocal talent-Burton Cummings, for sure. All round musical talent-Rush. Not my favorite ban, but undeniable musical ability in Peart's drumming, Lifesons guitar and Geddy Lee is awesome on the bass.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ernie Combs -- Mr. Dress Up! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Steve Nash-Jim Carrey-Chris Jericho

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

John Garand - inventor of the M1 rifle, the finest battle instrument ever devised.

The entire Red/Green crew.

Bobby Orr, Gordy Howe, Wayne Gretsky, and Ivan Cournoyer.

Terri Clark, a singer from Medicine Hat, smoking' hot and featured in the Winchester ammo ads.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In no particular order my FAVOURITE all time Canadians!:
Bill Marion, Gerry Ouelette George Marsh, Rudy Schultz, Herman Webber, John Primrose, Susan Natrass, Barney Hartman, Jim and Gil Boa, Paul Reibin, Bob Pitcairn, Glenn Ellert,and a couple of the Todd family......
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pamela Anderson's TIts!

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by catnthehat
In no particular order my FAVOURITE all time Canadians!:
Bill Marion, Gerry Ouelette George Marsh, Rudy Schultz, Herman Webber, John Primrose, Susan Natrass, Barney Hartman, Jim and Gil Boa, Paul Reibin, Bob Pitcairn, Glenn Ellert,and a couple of the Todd family......
Cat

Paul Reibin and Bob Pitcairn are two excellent chaps I know very well having shot many matches with.
I'm not familiar with the others you mention...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly Olympic team members, one set a World record with a borrowed gun in 1956- 600/60X, another was a skeet shooter with World records, factory C.I.L. shooter, another is a past North American ( World) silhouette champion, two others were Canadian team members and coaches, all were national champs at one time or another, and all were champions when i was growing up and learning to shoot
Know/knew most them , some very well.
Paul won big at Cannought last year at the Nats, not bad for someone past 80, eh!
he is an icon in the Cnad9an shooting World, and when he is gone we will certainly be diminished!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SHANIA ! [and Ian Tyson for his longevity]

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lightfoot bar none.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm going to enter the contest, and nominate Sir William Van Horne. Building that railway took a lot of talent.
It would have been built at some time by someone else, but where would Canada have been without it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have you guys ever heard Gordon Lightfoots song, Canadian railroad trilogy? One of my alltime favourites!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's his crowning glory in my eyes. (Lightfoots, that is.)

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Could you tell the story Brother Keith? I understand Lightfoot was commissioned to write a song about the rail.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't know the history, but Google and Wikepedia are your friends. wink

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
From Wikepedia:

This song was commissioned by the CBC for a special broadcast on January 1, 1967, to start Canada's Centennial year. It appeared on Lightfoot's The Way I Feel album later in the same year along with the song "Crossroads," a shorter song of similar theme. The structure of the song, with a slow tempo section in the middle and faster paced sections at the beginning and end, was patterned more or less opposite to Gibson and Camp's "Civil War Trilogy" (famously recorded by The Limeliters on the 1963 live album Our Men In San Francisco). In the first section, the song picks up speed like a locomotive building up a head of steam.

While Lightfoot's song echoes the optimism of the railroad age, it also chronicles the cost in sweat and blood of building "an iron road runnin' from the sea to the sea." The slow middle section of the song is especially poignant, vividly describing the efforts and sorrows of the nameless and forgotten navvies whose manual labour actually built the railway.

Session personnel for the 1967 recording were: Gordon Lightfoot (12-string), Red Shea (Lead acoustic guitar), John Stockfish (Fender Bass), and Charlie McCoy (Harmonica).

Lightfoot re-recorded the track on his 1975 compilation album, Gord's Gold, with full orchestration (arranged by Lee Holdridge). A live version also appears on two of his live albums, first on his 1969 album Sunday Concert and again on the 2012 release "All Live", which consists of songs recorded during his live concerts at Toronto's Massey Hall during the period from 1998 to 2001.

According to Lightfoot, Pierre Berton said to him, "You know, Gord, you said as much in that song as I said in my book." Berton was referring to his two books about the building of the railway across Canada, The National Dream and The Last Spike.

In 2001, Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" was honoured as one of the Canadian MasterWorks by the Audio-Visual Preservation Trust of Canada.

The song has been covered by John Mellencamp and George Hamilton IV, among others. James Keelaghan performed the song on the Lightfoot tribute album, Beautiful. In the summer of 2004, the song was performed by that year's Canadian Idol Top 6.

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Red Shea, who was the lead gitarist for Lightfoot for many years also played for Tommy Hunter, a man with little talent. Shea was an amazing guitarist and got a good leg up on "Let's Go" a teen music show in the 60's. He was in Toronto at the time. I loved his guitar playing.

Brother Keith

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now now Tommy Hunter was talented. My Dad always said Tommy could sorta sing smile

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I used to laugh when Red Shea carried Tommy's guitar out on stage for him at the end of the show. It should have been the other way around. Tommy was at best a 6 chord man. Red Shea could make a guitar talk.

Saying Hunter was sorta talented is like saying Al Cherney kinda drank too much. grin

Brother Keith

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actor/director Paul Gross
Singer/musician Ian Tyson

Writer would hafta be Guy Vanderhaghie (spelled wrong I'm sure)

Athlete would be Sandra Schmerler
Politician is Dief

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.