-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I found something out the hard way, in 2012 I was rear-ended while parked waiting for a accident to clear. and ended up with Whiplash out of the deal.

This could be some important Info for you.
some Health care insurance has a Claus in the policy they don't cover Auto accidents
Some Auto policies, are writing the policy so they only cover the 20% deductible.

That is what happened to me, I ended up having to pay a lot of Medical bills out of my pocket, so my credit didn't get ruined.

I canceled my policy with my Auto Ins company because of it, I told them I want full coverage, and didn't get it.

Now I have full coverage.

It is something that you may want to check into, Medical bills can add up in a hurry.
I will eventually get my money back, but it sure can put you in a bind at the time.

Kevin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is your definition of 'Full Coverage'?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MColeman
What is your definition of 'Full Coverage'?

I have full Medical coverage with my Auto Ins now, if I get in a Auto accident and get hurt. my auto Ins covers 100% of the Medical Bills.
Where before it only covered a 20% co-pay.

Kevin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then you are saying that you have medical coverage with no deductibles or co-pays up to the limits of your policy. Being a retired insurance agent we had to not only know what we said but we had to fully understand what the customer thought we were saying. I've had customers that would tell me what I said several years after the sale. I would know that I didn't say it like they heard it because the customer always hears it in a way that protects him the most. It's human nature. Auto medical insurance is cheap.

Usually when a customer says he wants full coverage he means that he wants liability insurance and comprehensive and collision. What they don't understand is you can get liability and still not have enough liability. Does he want emergency road service, uninsured motorist, accidental death and dismemberment and all the fringe coverages? When he has a wreck he'll swear that he wanted it all.

Last edited by MColeman; 12/22/13.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Then you are saying that you have medical coverage with no deductibles or co-pays up to the limits of your policy. Being a retired insurance agent we had to not only know what we said but we had to fully understand what the customer thought we were saying. I've had customers that would tell me what I said several years after the sale. I would know that I didn't say it like they heard it because the customer always hears it in a way that protects him the most. It's human nature. Auto medical insurance is cheap.

Usually when a customer says he wants full coverage he means that he wants liability insurance and comprehensive and collision. What they don't understand is you can get liability and still not have enough liability. Does he want emergency road service, uninsured motorist, accidental death and dismemberment and all the fringe coverages? When he has a wreck he'll swear that he wanted it all.

That is why I put this up.
A lot of auto policies just cover a co-pay, and I always thought it covered all Medical, if it was from a Auto accident. and that is not the case.
and a lot of Health care Ins, is putting in a Claus, so they don't cover a Auto accident.
just something that I wanted people to know, so they could check there policies. so they don't go thru what I did.
it kind of hurts when you have to pull 10K+ out of your own pocket when you weren't planning on it.

Kevin

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Exactly..

Which is why EVERYONE should read their 'declaration page' and if, for some reason, you have ANY questions about definitions and/or coverages - GET WITH YOUR AGENT and have it clarified..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No such animal as "full coverage." There are ALWAYS exclusions and exceptions. Any agent that will not be that honest and frank with a client needs to be replaced quickly.

One has to utilize the resources available, including their agent and legal counsel, to understand what their policy is providing in conjunction with their state's no-fault laws and regulations. A good accident lawyer can be worth their weight in gold when these situations arise. They can negotiate payments and protect the credit of their clients very well.

Even if a health/auto liability insurer makes payments for medical, in accordance with the limits of the contract, those payments can be considered conditional in nature and subject to subrogation if an at fault party is identified. They can lien any future settlement for their recovery. Insurers have attorneys on staff to do this and represent at fault parties. It can be quite the battle.

Medpay is a VERY important component of auto policies, as that is where a significant amount of financial risk is to be found now that medical costs have blown through the roof. It is important to insure ones self and passengers at least at the limits you are providing coverage to others. UM/UIM is so important folks overlook how often it becomes a critical issue in accidents.

Excellent advice given above in this thread. Buck, I hope you make a full recovery physically and can find yourself completely indemnified from your financial expenditures. The stress can be overwhelming. Seek legal counsel as appropriate.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.