-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The first time I attempted making scales for a knife was a good learning experience and I appreciated the comments on this forum on how to avoid pitting in the fiberglass resin.

While I could see plenty of things that needed improving in that first knife, a coworker of mine liked it enough that he wanted me to make one for his father for Christmas using the same blank.

I learned from the first round that the materials should be similar in texture, and since I wanted to keep the scales simple I went with one material: plain old black denim. I mixed the resin carefully to try keep bubbles to a minimum and made sure to press the stack well.

There are a few imperfections of course, but I was pleased with the way it came out since this is only the second knife I have ever assembled.

[Linked Image]

I know this color scheme is probably overplayed, but please forgive me as I am just getting started. grin

I can't wait to hear how my friend's father likes it and I hope it gets plenty of use. That of course would be the biggest compliment.

A couple of things are different from the first knife I put together. First off, the Damascus pattern that was on this blank was not as subtle as the first one that I ordered, so I decided to blue the entire blade. Secondly I felt that some rudimentary file work was needed to provide some extra grip, and the addition of orange liners seemed to be a nice touch that the new owner would appreciate.

Thanks for looking, and Merry Christmas! smile

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
a little hard to see the details of the scales in your pictures but from what I can see it looks like they came out very clean and uniform. Great job.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
looks good to me. Homemade micarta is fun for a while, then later not so much. Yours came out very nice

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sometimes low resolution shots are the best. wink

Thanks for the comments!

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice .

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.