Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seems silly to write about rain gear, when there's snow on the ground, but I'm already dreaming of next years elk hunt. We had a fairly (more like very) wet 2013 archery season here in Colorado. It became obvious that my rain gear is now suitable only in church (it's "hole-y", har har ). Sorry for the bad joke... Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations.

As for my needs; I spend most of my time in a tree stand, but several miles on foot isn't uncommon either (especially when scouting). I'll sacrifice a little in the "pack-ability" department, to gain in the way of durability. I'm primarily an archery hunter, so the stuff can't be noisy. Finally, I'm not wealthy, so the big dollar stuff is out... it's crazy what people will spend on fancy hunting clothes. That being said, I won't buy junk, so I will spend up to $200 for the set (pants and coat).

So, let's hear your recommendations; good, bad or otherwise...

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think there's lots of good rain gear that you can get for $200, but not lots of good rain gear that's quiet and durable for $200. I guess that depends on what you mean by quiet though.

I used a set of Marmot Precip this year during the ML season in SW Colorado, and it worked fine. Got rained on every day, most days twice. It's not the quietest, but then again, I found that when it was raining enough to be suited up, I wasn't really putting stalks on animals anyway.

One feature I wouldn't do without is side zip pants. IMHO, you really need to be able to put the pants on or off without taking your boots off.

Also, get some quality gaiters that cover the tops of your boots, your feet will stay much drier.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have tried the packable rainwear from Cabelas at $90 each for jacket and pants. I does not hold up well. It's fine if you are stationary. My 2nd pair from Cabelas even developed holes in the knees just from kneeling in grass. Just walking around, it tears and develops holes pretty easy from snags on limbs ,etc.

I now have a set I bought at Bass Pro for about $35 each that looks better, although it is not packable in a small stuff sack.

As Smokeploe states though quiet and rain gear don't go together unless you are into the big buck stuff and even then I don't think it is al that quiet. I'll take dry over quiet any day.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/23/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've got Russel rain gear that I've had good luck with for 3 seasons now

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Seems silly to write about rain gear, when there's snow on the ground, but I'm already dreaming of next years elk hunt. We had a fairly (more like very) wet 2013 archery season here in Colorado. It became obvious that my rain gear is now suitable only in church (it's "hole-y", har har ). Sorry for the bad joke... Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations.

As for my needs; I spend most of my time in a tree stand, but several miles on foot isn't uncommon either (especially when scouting). I'll sacrifice a little in the "pack-ability" department, to gain in the way of durability. I'm primarily an archery hunter, so the stuff can't be noisy. Finally, I'm not wealthy, so the big dollar stuff is out... it's crazy what people will spend on fancy hunting clothes. That being said, I won't buy junk, so I will spend up to $200 for the set (pants and coat).

So, let's hear your recommendations; good, bad or otherwise...

No such beast exists. Get Helly Hansen "rubber" rain gear to stay dry and deal with it.

NOTHING goretex works, or works for lone, that I can guarantee.

If I want to bowhunt in the rain, I get wet.

That being said we tend to run rain ponchos, I can drape it over when it comes, and yank it back off right away.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If your rain gear needs to double as your wind gear (and it does in the mtns so it's not silly to talk about it with snow on the ground) I think you're better off with pants and a jacket than a poncho, ponchos can be hard to control in the wind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use camo colored Frogg Toggs. they are a little louder than I like, but not by much. They are very lightweight/packable and serve as excellent windbreakers

They also make a great top/insurance layer if you get out in the field and realize you wish you'd have put on one extra layer of clothes that morning.... (happenned to me when a surprise overnight snow hit last year).

I think I got mine for about $50 for the set. you can get them cheaper if you hold out and wait for a dept store special.

I echo the anti-pancho opinion. I dont like them becoming a "sail", and they dont cover your arms effectively either.

DOUBLE echo the zip up pants requirement too!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not anything to do with archery hunting.

One nice thing about a pauncho ( and I'm talking about the heavier ones that are rubberized nylon or such that were also shelter halves) is they make dandy riding gear. You put them on and then throw the front up over the horse or mule's neck and drape the back down over the rump and you have a 1100 pound heater under you. I also put the pauncho over the saddle with the horn sticking up thru the head opening and spread it out over the gear and tack. Then I climb on with a full rain suit. This keeps everything totally dry.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very valid point on the ability of a poncho to cover up more than "just you".

when I'm wearing my pancho, I put it over my backpack too, to help keep all my gear (somewhat) dry.

I think the perfect rain gear topper would be a poncho with full-length sleeves. unfortunately, I've never seen one for sale (or at least... havent recognized it as such.....)

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of the leg zippers - my old raingear did not have them, and while I did manage to get them on over my boots, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

There have been times that a poncho would be just the ticket, but I think I would prefer to stick with the coat/pants option.

As for quietness; I realize rain gear is not typically as quiet as, say, a fleece jacket, but I'm probably more concerned with the noise of the fabric to my ears, than the animals. Sure, if the fabric is super noisey, the animal may hear me draw, but what I really can't stand is turning to look a different direction, and having that "abrasive fabric sound" fill my ears... I don't want to miss noises from an approching critter.

Has anyone tried the regular Cabela's Rain Suede (not the super packable space rain vesion)? If so, how did you like them? Are they worth the money (~$175 for the set)? Looks like they have the leg zippers too...

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Re leg zippers. On the Cabelas gear I had, the pants had leg zippers, but still did not open far enough to facilitate getting them off without ta struggle.

G
G
Cabela's MT050 works great for early season elk hunting. Been using is for 10 years. Gore-Tex is one of the few true breathable fabrics. The MT050 is comfortable to wear even when you have a few miles to hike while wearing it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Re leg zippers. On the Cabelas gear I had, the pants had leg zippers, but still did not open far enough to facilitate getting them off without ta struggle.

On some, including the Marmots, the zippers are full-length. That really makes it easy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by saddlesore

On some, including the Marmots, the zippers are full-length. That really makes it easy.

That would be he cast's meow, rather than those calf length ones that just end up frustrating a guy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Kuiu Chugach served me well on my Dall sheep hunt this year. Highly recommend it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For $200?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used both cabelas packable rain suede and MT050. MT050 are definately quieter because they have actual fleece on the outside. Which is great when it is dry, but you don't wear it to be dry. When it gets wet, it holds moisture which makes it heavier and cold. So I don't like it much. I guess you could try spraying the fleece with something like scotchgurard, but not sure what that does to the goretex.

The rain suede gives up a little on quiet, but is still OK and they have lasted 6-8 years between sets. If you watch for sales, you can do a set for under $200.

I suspect the cabelas mentioned that were not tough are the "space rain" ones. Very light and packable, but not much on durable.

Venor ergo sum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The MT050 I have has no fleece. It has held up really well and is quiet.

I second the leg gaiters advice. Keeping your legs dry is huge for staying warm.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used a Cabelas Dri-Plus rain suit for over 10 years. For an inexpensive rain suit, it was amazing. It never did leak, and I still have the parka. I tossed the pants this year because I tore too many holes in them.
Just before 2013 archery season I invested in a Sitka Gear Cloudburst parka and pants. The finish to the fabric makes them surprisingly quiet, and in a week of steady rain they performed perfectly. Only wish my boots had done the same.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
The MT050 I have has no fleece. It has held up really well and is quiet.

I second the leg gaiters advice. Keeping your legs dry is huge for staying warm.

I was wrong to say fleece on the MT050, it isn't fleece, but it has a soft knap that absorbs water. Probably a DWR spray or treatment would be helpful but as a new product I didn't like it due to the water retention. It feels cold when wet if you are only wearing the rainsuit.

Venor ergo sum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 16 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.