Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite is the Colt Woodsman.

The best looking target handgun ever is the Bullseye Match Target

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by reelman
S&W M41![Linked Image]

Interesting 41... Mine is a first year of production and has never been abused...

Art,

I've got a fairly large Christmas stocking and I'm sure that M41 would fit in it. Oh, and yes I've been good this year. smile

Bob

Sucks! You wasted the whole year being good for just a semi-auto 22? wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&W Model 41

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Of today's picks you really only have the 41 that's left and it can be hard to find and the ruger which is a great value but not a 41 IMHO, and I have one.

Not to hijack the thread but this sort of illustrates the down fall of the shooting sports to me. When I was a kid there was a local pistol club that met at the lumber co. And would shoot NRA bullseye matches at 50 ft. Today all anybody shoots is to stand at maybe 20-25 feet and bang away at a torso shaped target like hitting that is some feat of skill. Target shooting is so far gone all the manufacturers have quit making the fine pistols for the most part.Pretty sad.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have owned a M41 Smith for years and see no reason at all to look elsewhere for "the best". That said, the Ruger 22/45 I bought from karnis is a very good shooter.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm surprised at the number of posters who favour the M41. In the early 60's when I was handgunning this was the pistol which was least reliable. A few people in our club had them and they were always being sent in for repairs. By far the High Standard was the most popular.

Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a M41. now I have Rugers.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
When I shot competitive pistol, the High Standard Supermatic Citation or Trophy were the most popular. The Citation I had was absolutely trouble free for tens of thousands of rounds. There were also quite a few Rugers on the line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few Rugers, add the right VQ parts and there awesome. Mine are accurate and not picky eaters

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fifty years ago I had a Smith 41. They are great shooting guns. But I sold it while in college to have money for wine, women and song. I should have kept the 41! Now I am married, too old to drink and can�t hear much!

Now I have two Rugers. They are not as good as I remember the Smith was. But both shoot better than I can. One has a Volquartsen upper with a Leupold scope and it flat shoots.

For a serious target gun, pick the Smith 41. For everyday use and casual target shooting, the Ruger works.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Model 41 with the 5 and 7 1/2" barrels.I also own a High Standard Military Victor.They are both more accurate than this old man can shoot now.I used them for years in Bullseye Matches.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really dislike these "What's the best..." threads. Mostly because BEST is relative... As compared to WHAT ?

2ndly: Very few folks bother to buy representatives from all manufacturers and models... Most folks just buy what appeals to them and if works; they stick with it... smile

I'd think the best way is to find your local Bullseye Pistol Team and ask them. I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you, and likely even let you try what they own...

When I shot on the local pistol team, Most of the guys used High Standards, if they could affort them. If they couldn't, they used Rugers.

Only one guy on my team used a S&W Mod: 41. He ended up buying a Ruger while his Mod 41 was either at the 'smiths or back to S&W... I regret to report that he shot the Ruger much more than the Smith... frown There are folks here whom I like and respect that endorsed the S&W Mod 41. My teammate's experience however, soured me on that pistol and I've never owned one.

I have, however, owned at least 5 High Standards, and still own two: A Supermatic Citation, and an older Flite-King . I have owned likely a half dozen Rugers, and found them to be a excellent value and more accurate than I am. smile My experience with the Rugers is limited to the Mark I and Mark II. I've not owned a Mark III, and don't intend to buy one. I still own a couple of the Rugers... I've owned a couple of Brownings , A Nomad and a Buckmark. Still own the Nomad ! However, I really don't care for the sights on the Brownings. To my eye, they are hard to get good definition. shocked I've also owned a couple of Walthers. A PPK/s and a P-22. Loved them both. And the P-22 makes a GREAT Trail/Carry pistol - Light, comact and accurate.

I like the Ruger for it's rugged reliability. I like the High Standard for its ease of interchanging barrels, and it's great accuracy. And I like the Walther P-22 for it's portability.

So there you have it: The above is not meant to be a put-down of any brand. They all have their advantages. All I can offer is my experience. YMMV

GH

PS, I also own an ACE conversion for my Gold Cup .45. I like it because it feels like a 1911... (And it don't get any better than that!) grin

Last edited by Grasshopper; 12/24/13. Reason: add PS

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only "problem" I've had with it occurred when using some Remington hollow-points that wouldn't feed. Turned out most of the bullets were oversize. Never had a feeding failure with any other Long Rifle ammo.

FINALLY!! Someone else has had this experience. The Golden Bullets and cheaper version Rems I tried to use in both a Ruger and a S&W M&P are guaranteed to jam. I measured them up to 0.228 and few were 0.224 or less.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like the Ruger MKII Government Model.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Own a family pre war woodsman with a short barrel. Never shot matches, so only paused at the file card on the club for sale board that said S&W 41----- $700 last month.
You guys are making me think I should have.........esp since it was in the box with the 2 barrel ends and the tools.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OMG !!! Hurry up and get your butt back there.

Denny

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
High Standard, but since I am more interested in a small game / trail pistol than a pure range / match piece I want one just like my Dad's great old Model B rather than the match guns thus far listed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
small game/trail use demands a Woodsman Sport.....nothing else compares.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a Smith 41, HiStandard 106, Clark Ruger MKII all very accurate.
The most accurate is a Ruger MKII Gov't model with Volq, sear and trigger.

Coach

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
just get a ruger w a bull barrel.

Probably the most practical choice, value for the dollar.

There can be a bunch of collector value in some of the other choices with no better accuracy or function.

IMHO,

DF

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, AB2506, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 662 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.