Hop To
#8394231 12/25/13
R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ok guys, I was gifted a Colt Magpul 6920 today. While I am not a AR guy I am a long time rifleman and reloader.

So I will be using this for range play and deer, hogs & varmints.
No home self defense work!

I will surely be loading heavier ammo (my preference) and putting some type of glass on it.

So will you guys with the experience lead me down the right path?

I am all ears.

Randy

Last edited by rta48; 12/25/13.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rta48
Ok guys, I was gifted a Colt Magpul 6920 today. While I am not a AR guy I am a long time rifleman and reloader.

So I will be using this for range play and deer, hogs & varmints.
No home self defense work!

First off, congrats, some smart person really likes you. Second, let's hope for "No home self defense work!" but thinking it will never ever happen, and not planning accordingly, ain't overly bright.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New trigger. Geissle Hi Speed National Match is my favorite.
A good Scope mount. ADM or LaRue Tactical for that.
Scope of your choice.
And a lot of range time with different reloads to see what it likes the best.

Merry Christmas!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
get decent glass for sure. I think the 3-9, 3.5-10 etc range is very useful for what you have in mind. I have a 1.5-6 on one of mine I am very fond of, but the other is a 3.5-10, both work fine for deer, pigs, coyotes, fox, armadillo, and fiddler crab.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geissle trigger, aimpoint pro, some 69 SMK's, varget and you are there!

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
IC B2

R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Take a knee thanks for the concern and I agree with you! Fortunately I have many other choices to deal with that potential.

And yes you are right again, I am very fortunate to have someone that thinks of me.

Randy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bravo Company had some cosmetic defect chargin handles for sale a few months back and i got a Mod 3 Gunfighter charging handle and REALLY like it over the standard....much easier to manipulate especially with any sort of optic that has to sit farther back....better trigger is always a good investment in any firearm....

Last edited by rattler; 12/25/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VX 2.5X8 works great on some of mine. Just drop in some
JP Enterprises AR-15 REDUCED POWER Spring Kit(3.5lb-4.5lb) and
JoeBob's AR15 Grip Screw Trigger Adjuster. Take some semi chrome and polish the surfaces a little and the stock trigger will work good for deer and hogs.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How does joebobs adjuster work? Never heard of it before now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just put the optics of your choice on it and take it out.

That Colt 6920 is great, just as it is, out of the box. You could go insane with all the options available to tweak it with. They are all fun to consider, and even more fun to use, but aren't really needed.

For the work you've mentioned, any quality bullet over 60gr will get the job done with gusto.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I put glass on it (3x9 Conquest) took some 55 gr. BT I had and put together some 75 gr. AMax's and went to the range. The 1st thing I noticed was the trigger (not what I am used too on my bolt guns (grin)

I found the forend or guard or whatever you call it to be too short. The little vertical handle that came with the gun would be useful in close quarters I think.

The gin functioned perfectly. I shot 260 rnds all together and no malfunctions. I could play with the 75's and this thing would really shoot. The 55's shot well also.

Prior to shooting I took the gun completely down and cleaned the barrel and then coated it with Dyna bore coat. This is something I have been doing in my bolt guns for a while now and I have found that it makes a huge difference with fouling.

The barrel on this M4 cleaned up real easy. 11 patches and she was clean. The clean up should go down to 4 or 5 patches soon.

Things that I will want to change; #1 the trigger , I have done some reading. I know NOTHING about a two stage trigger. But the Geissele gets alot of recommendations. Maybe one of you can explain the the 2 stage deal.

#2 the forend or whatever you call it needs to be changed. I am assuming I could buy something that extends further out? It would have to work around the front sight. I read were the front sight can be removed but I don't think I really would want to do that.

It was alot of fun to shot this at the range, my wonderful wife may have made a BIG mistake buying me this for Christmas. I have avoided these guns for quite a while knowing that I might become addicted to them and now after playing with one I think I might have been right. LOL

Randy

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by jimmyp
How does joebobs adjuster work? Never heard of it before now

It is just taking some of the pretravel slack out. It goes up from the bottom of the pistol grip and serves as a stop. I have played with the set screw before and it will shave about 1/2-3/4 pound off of the pull and shortens things a little bit. I am always concerned with anything like that. If a blown primer leaks its way down there or debris builds up you have lost the slop and will tie up the gun. Totally fine on a play gun but nothing serious.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Randy good luck with the disease. It takes a lot of discipline to not needlessly swap stuff out. Yes the front sight post can be shaved down and that will allow you to float the barrel easily and pick pretty much any forend you would like to use.

I run a troy alpha rail and I really like it. Just saw this mounted on a buddies AR and really liked it. As a bonus the install is simple and includes the only tool necessary. You can pull up plenty of stuff on youtube on how to shave down the front sight.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/si-megafins.html

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't do anything with it. Go shoot the crap out of it put a few hundred rounds through it. Then take a reputable carbine course.

Only after that will you have a good idea of what you need/want.

Last edited by pira114; 12/28/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a good disassembly display cause there are parts that can just go boing and fly to who knows where.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My Ar Really Likes Hornady 68 Gr Bthp With inr4198

R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Disease LOL, I think you right blush

I have made a few changes already. 1st I installed a ambidextrous safety ( Bad Ass ) from Bravo Company. Then I put one of the Burris scope mounts on and slapped a Zeiss Conquest I had lying around. After several trips to the range the trigger had to go. So I ordered a Geissele SSA-E . WOW, what a difference the trigger made. Plus an easy install. The most surprising thing about these AR's is just how simple they are. A lot of fun to fool with.

Randy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (16gage, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,958
Posts18,519,418
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.