Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
For those who own/or have owned the Browning X-Bolt..........what is your opinion of the of the rifle........accuracy and so forth???

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
For those who own/or have owned the Browning X-Bolt..........what is your opinion of the of the rifle........accuracy and so forth???

I owned the stainless synthetic version in 7mm-08.. nice handy rifle , great magazine which sat flush,low bolt lift,great accuracy. No longer own it and don't miss it. I don't know what it is but as hard as I try I cannot warm up to any Browning rifle kept the FN Safaris and the FN Bar's .

This is the model I owned

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one. 270. Took 3 shots to get on target with Nosler Custom ammo. Next 3 went into .625". Boring. Sold it without ever firing another shot. No complaints what so ever. I just like working on gun and that one needed nothing.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Convinced my boss last month to buy a stainless stalker with fluted barrel in 30-06. He mounted a scope and gave it to me to sight in. I used factory Federal 168 TSX loads which it promptly put sub-MOA after 1 sight-in shot. Incredibly boring and reliable. I loved the short both throw and the tang safety (I'm a lefty). Overall I was really impressed with it.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have stainless stalker in a 7RM. Consistently shoots 3 shot groups < MOA with typically 2 shots making one large hole, all with factory ammo. Has shot everything well I have put in it. Mirrors the performance of all the A-Bolts I have shot. The recoil pad really is an upgrade from the A-Bolt.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have a 7-08 in micro hunter. Handles great. Shoots great. May be my favorite rifle now. Just picked up a used synthetic in 280. Haven't shot it yet but expect the same.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I currently have an X-bolt Hunter/Stainless in 7mm-08. It's like several previous Browning rifles I've owned. Fit and finish is excellent. Accuracy with numerous factory loads is consistently good with .5 to 1.25 groups at 100 yds. The only drawback on Browning rifles is if you want to play with them, re-barrel, etc - any gunsmith will tell you they don't like working on Browning rifles. Plus side to that is buy the caliber you want and you have no reason to tinker.

Last edited by 7mm08fan; 12/25/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in a 300 Win Mag. It was accurate right out of the box and I wish all my rifles had a trigger as smooth. Whether I use my hand loads or factory ammo the rifle isn't particular. It shoots them all well. Excellent fit and finish and I've had no problems after 3 years in the field.

Last edited by Biggs300; 12/25/13.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Have stainless stalker in a 7RM. Consistently shoots 3 shot groups < MOA with typically 2 shots making one large hole, all with factory ammo. Has shot everything well I have put in it. Mirrors the performance of all the A-Bolts I have shot. The recoil pad really is an upgrade from the A-Bolt.

My brother bought this exact rig about 2 months ago. What an accurate rifle! We adjusted the trigger down to a little less than 3 lbs, and it stacks the bullets on top of one another. He is planning on taking this gun, stoked with 140 gr TTSXs, to Argentina for red stag and puma in March and to South Africa in July.

Personally, I have an X-Bolt in .22-250, a walk-about Micro Hunter, and it shoots my favorite PD load featuring the 50gr NBT into 1/2". This version is scaled for a woman or a young teen, and the LOP is a little short. But since it is chambered in .22-250, it's no big deal.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on all of the above. accurate with factory ammo. Very accurate with handloads, almost boringly accurate. My most recent one is a composite stalker in 7/08 with a Nikon
prostaff 5 2.5-10x ...little cloverleafs @100... too damn cold yet to shoot further.Leaps and bounds over the A-bolts ... can't go wrong. Good luck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bought a Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 for my daughters college graduation this year. I handload for my Sako but bought Hornady "Lite" 120gr Hornady SST's,.factory ammo from Cabela's for her.
Gun is VERY accurate, light, and fits perfect. Beautiful figure walnut stock.,

Her first shot with it in the field was a DRT heart shot on a 10 point Texas whitetail a couple weeks ago @ 92 yards.

I HIGHLY recommend this rifle.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a half dozen or so X-Bolts and every one functioned flawlessly, fit and finish was top notch and accuracy was superb....I have owned many many new bolt action rifles over the years including Remington 700's and mod 7's, Weatherby MKV's, Winchester mod 70's, Sako Mod 75/85 and A7's, Ruger mod 77/77mkII's and Hawkeye models, and CZ 527 rifles and Browning rifles have been the most consistently out of the box accurate by far than any other brand..........Good luck.................Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Currently own 2, a black synthetic stalker in 7mm-08, and a stainless synthetic stalker in 7mm wsm. Both are sub moa easily. Fit and finish is very good, and recoil is noticeably reduced with their new recoil pad. Only delta I have is the 7wsm doesn't always eject. This just came up after about 50 rounds down the tube just prior to last deer season. I am currently working away from my home and my rifles so I haven't talked to Browning yet on this issue.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a firm believer in browning and the x bolt is my favorite to date. I have a few and they have all been easy to work the loads for and not as picky bout what they shoot. Hope to get another one soon

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My X-Bolt .30-06 Synthetic is easily the most accurate centerfire for big game use that I own. Action is slick, and it has a great factory trigger. Its light weight makes for a great choice for a mountain rifle, made to be carried up and down hills.
If I were to buy another factory rifle, the X-Bolt would get top consideration.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Stainless/Walnut .280 Rem. X-bolt, through which I have pushed 180 rounds so far. It is a decent enough rifle, but I still prefer my Kimber 84L or Model 70s over it. In my view, it is in the same class as my Tikkas and a good accurate push feed platform. However, the pot metal bottom and bolt shroud is harder for me to take than the Tikka�s poly in the same applications. On the other hand, I really like being able to open the bolt with the safety on and the rotary mag feeding function of the X-bolt. I am not interested in purchasing another X-bolt, but I am definitely keeping the one that I have and plan on shooting it a lot. CP.

How accurate is your 280? I just got a composite stalker in 280 for Christmas

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After 60 or so rounds, the rifle settled in and I am shooting under an inch with every 160 gr. bullet I have tried. I have used H4350, H4831 and IMR 7828 with no real appreciable change in accuracy as well. CP.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
CP, is the bottom metal and bolt shroud on the X-Bolt pot metal or aluminium? I think it's aluminium, I never considered aluminium as pot metal, I've always considered the white metal Remington uses on their trigger guard and floorplates as pot metal though.........Hb

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You know-I think you are right. But, I am still left wondering how impact-resistant the bottom metal would be in a fall. Except for the TG, I think because of its shape it would stand up better than an A-bolt. I also believe that my X-bolt is a step above my A-bolt in almost every other regard as well. It is a good rifle and this praise is coming from a Model 70 guy. CP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.