Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking about getting a Track Kit for my Suzuki 450 King Quad.
Does anyone have them on there machine ?. or have seen them in use ?.
I would like to hear some Reviews on them before I spend that much money.

Thanks
Kevin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never driven a tracked ATV but if I really need extra traction I try a set chains before forking out the $$$ for tracks.

My buddy used chains (all four wheels) on his Suzuki King Quad with very good results in slippery muddy conditions in AK.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fish head
I've never driven a tracked ATV but if I really need extra traction I try a set chains before forking out the $$$ for tracks.

My buddy used chains (all four wheels) on his Suzuki King Quad with very good results in slippery muddy conditions in AK.

Thanks
I have chains for all 4 tires, and they work good, but I go out west Elk hunting DIY every year, and some years the snow is so deep, I can't get even close to some of my hunting areas even with chains.
That is why I am thinking about a set of Tracks.

Kevin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snowmachine. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From the prices I've seen, a good used snowmobile would be cheaper than a set of tracks. However, if you don't get any snow, the snowmobile would be high and dry while the tracks would keep going in the rocks.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Snowmachine. grin

That would be nice, but I don't have the room to haul both out west, when I am coming from Michigan.
And a set of tracks for my ATV is a lot cheaper then havng a snow machine too.

Kevin

Last edited by buckykm1; 12/26/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Recently on Gold Rush the guys had tracked UTV that was struggling in deep snow. I wasn't very impressed with it.

In deep snow a short track snowmachine can struggle, get stuck, won't get 'er done ... and they're made for snow. It takes a long track machine that's built for powder to go off trail in deep soft snow.

Like I said I've never driven a tracked ATV but I have spent lots of time snowmobiling and seen and ridden a lot of different machines. Just a guess but I seriously doubt if a tracked ATV will do what you want in the worst of conditions.

I gotta say though I would be interested in hearing from someone that's actually ridden one in snow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite a few tracks on ATV's round here.
Makes the ATV a truly year round use machine.
I know people that have quit riding snowmachines here and just use their ATV or UTV with tracks.
Your problem will be your machine is pretty small motored to run tracks. Normally a 700cc minimum around here.
I have heard that the track makers have/will address this and will provide a smaller machine designed set soon. Tracks cut speed ALOT, maybe half. Tracks will cover you with snow/mud on an ATV. UTV owners can get a cab.
If you are using a set of tracks for fun backcountry riding, you need a friend to buy a set also. It's no fun always riding by yourself and it gets real cold out there if you break something 20 miles back and are by yourself.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Recently on Gold Rush the guys had tracked UTV that was struggling in deep snow. I wasn't very impressed with it.

In deep snow a short track snowmachine can struggle, get stuck, won't get 'er done ... and they're made for snow. It takes a long track machine that's built for powder to go off trail in deep soft snow.

Like I said I've never driven a tracked ATV but I have spent lots of time snowmobiling and seen and ridden a lot of different machines. Just a guess but I seriously doubt if a tracked ATV will do what you want in the worst of conditions.

I gotta say though I would be interested in hearing from someone that's actually ridden one in snow.

Yep
where I have my problem, is how it thaws during the day and refreezes at night, I am sure you know how your snow kind of crystalizes from that.
I can go thru 2 feet of powder with no problem, but when it crystalizes like that is where I think the Tracks would work good ?.

Kevin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fish, I saw that also.
What a joke.
I was telling my buddies that Kubota was probably hurt way more by that showing, than anything they gained by giving those guys machines to be seen on tv all the time.
Kubota's are like farm tractors.
They are low geared, slow tractors for the working UTV rider.
Usually they are Hydros, which is HORRIBLE for tracks in deep snow. They are grossly heavy.
Tracks need HP, snap and high end screaming. Everything Kubota isn't.
As a work machine for the 60 and over crowd they are great.
For the I want to have fun UTV crowd, not even.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buckykm1

Yep
where I have my problem, is how it thaws during the day and refreezes at night, I am sure you know how your snow kind of crystalizes from that.
I can go thru 2 feet of powder with no problem, but when it crystalizes like that is where I think the Tracks would work good ?.

Kevin

Possibly ... unless you break through the crust and can't get back on top ???

I'm just guessing though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Klikitarik. I'd be willing to bet he's seen tracked 4 wheelers in action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snowmachine. grin

That would be nice, but I don't have the room to haul both out west, when I am coming from Michigan.

Kevin

I don't think I'd be wanting to start the drive if I didn't have a clue whatr I was up against. Unproven tracks on an ATV are not wholey reassuring.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Snowmachine. grin

Kevin

I don't think I'd be wanting to start the drive if I didn't have a clue whatr I was up against. Unproven tracks on an ATV are not wholey reassuring.

The Tracks that I am looking at are 4 season Tracks, so I would be able to test them here. and I would only put them on if I needed them, I don't think that I would leave them on anyway, but maybe ?. From what I have read, and seen on Videos the only down side is you lose speed, and I never go fast anyway, I rarely run my Quad over 20 mph.
I would really like to hear from someone that has a set.

Kevin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Power steering is another great thing to have with tracks.
They are fall/winter additions here. Back to tires after the snow leaves.
I was riding with my buddy last spring in his CanAm and we were in patchy snow and bare surface, anyway we broke the a-frame while running on the dry. I considered it more of a faulty weld than running them on the dry, but who knows. He has them on right now and has had no issues (we've had snow at times, but it keeps melting).
Fuel consumption goes up too.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen an atv with them in the field. However, it's dry here and we never have that much snow during hunting seasons.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never seen an atv with them in the field. However, it's dry here and we never have that much snow during hunting seasons.

I have been hunting Montana, and 2 out of the last 5 years, I couldn't get to my favorite hunting spots because of the snow, that is why I am thinking about Tracks.
it is very frustrating when you drive 1700 miles to go Elk hunting. and you can't get to your best spot.

Kevin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take Formidilosus with you......

and a life preserver. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen plenty of them but have never ridden an atv that had them. A couple of issues that would prevent me from buying them is turning radius and gas mileage. If you're looking for a machine that can do pretty much anything, i'd look at an Argo type vehicle.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An Argo might be a good compromise.

A buddy of mine in Alaska had an early Argo and his thoughts were that it was a very capable vehicle but it had one big downside that he did not like. The lack of suspension would be beat the crap out of you on rough or rocky trails. He talked about having a black and blue arm from banging against the tub.

He sold it after just one hunting season and bought a Suzuki 4 wheeler and never looked back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.