Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, sometimes it's simply hazardous to take your daughter hunting. The evening before Thanksgiving my daughter and I were in a tripod stand about 40 yards from a feeder when a big hog came in. Although there was only about 15 minutes of light left, I could see that he was a bar. How and when he was cut is an entirely different issue since no one cuts hogs on the property, but he was big: 350+ lbs.

Anyway, my nine-year old daughter was doing her best to line him up with my favorite stand rifle, an inexpensive Savage Model 16 in .260 Remington (pushing Remington's Managed Recoil loads for stand hunting), but the stock is way too long. Much to her credit, instead of just pointing in the general direction and letting fly, she said, "I can't get a steady shot, dad; you'll have to do it," and she handed me the rifle. I shot the hog and several of us loaded him up.

The Monday after Thanksgiving weekend I ordered a youth stock for the Savage and gave it to her for Christmas. It's still a touch long since she's a small nine-year old, but with a rest she'll be able to handle it much better than a full size rifle. Plus, she'll grow into it; although if she takes after her mother she'll never grow into a full size stock. She did, however, inform me that I'm probably never going to get it back.

Well, anyway, long story short...I know, too late!...here's my dilemma: I now have no .260. And I want a .260. I could always get another Savage since they're great rifles and won't break the bank (not to mention that I wouldn't be worried about banging up the stock in a truck or stand); I could splurge and get a Sako 85 (although there's that stock thing); or I could order an ASR from Montana Rifle Company, sort of splitting the difference between the two.

If y'all were in my shoes, what would you do? And no, I don't want to fool with another caliber. I already have a M70FWT in 7x57, so I'm not destitute of another rifle with which to hunt. I just want another .260.

Thanks

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good choice! used mt. rifle or yes a savage in wood stock that can be up-graded.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If you're just looking for other options in general, Remington still chambers the Model Seven in .260. You can get 'em with a synthetic stock (not SS though) for about $600.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako. If you don't buy one you will always wish you had.

Dink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm cheap so I'd scout the local Pawn shops for a Savage 110 in '06, 270 (standard bolt face) and don't shoot it!!
Re-barrel it at home to 260rem and the longer mag box will be there so you can seat the bullets longer and chase the lands as you wear the barrel out(years from now).

If you get bored you can always put the factory barrel back on and play.
Just trying to help!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Those are all good ideas, thanks. I don't shoot enough to ever have to worry about shooting out a barrel, so I'm not going to worry much about chasing the lands. And Dink, I've been chewing over the Sako for a long time, but I also know the terrain we hunt. None of us abuse our rifles, but between trucks and stands they get pretty knocked around. The Model 7 is a nice rifle, but I've just never been able to warm up to them. Maybe if I actually shot one I'd feel differently about it.

The MRC ASR seems interesting, though - sort of a M70 clone in .260 Rem.

I appreciate all your replies.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,get the ASR .260 and go kill deer and hogs with it. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If your worried about the Sako stock look around until you can find a spare. Or use it till it breaks then buy a mcmillian.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike, come by my house and buy the stainless steel Remington 7 that is in my closet. Buddy of mine left it here six months ago and said "sell it" - synthetic stock and a Nikon Scope, and a coffee can of ammo.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Odessa
Mike, come by my house and buy the stainless steel Remington 7 that is in my closet. Buddy of mine left it here six months ago and said "sell it" - synthetic stock and a Nikon Scope, and a coffee can of ammo.

THIS ! ! ! ^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the idea of the ASR. Also take a look at a Cooper Excalibur. I was very pleasantly surprised how good one felt that I shouldered.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger made a run of stainless Hawkeye's in 260 a while back. CDNN has them listed and sold tons. Watch Gunbroker, as they still pop up on there.

I've always been a fan of the 260.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Ruger made a run of stainless Hawkeye's in 260 a while back. CDNN has them listed and sold tons. Watch Gunbroker, as they still pop up on there.

I've always been a fan of the 260.

Bud's had one listed this past summer. Didn't pick it up, but probably should have.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pointer
I like the idea of the ASR. Also take a look at a Cooper Excalibur. I was very pleasantly surprised how good one felt that I shouldered.

I have a note into MRC with a few questions. And you're right about the Cooper: very nice rifle.

I'll let y'all know what finally happens. I move glacially on stuff like this...which is why a lot of stuff is gone before I grab it!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RevMike
Well, sometimes it's simply hazardous to take your daughter hunting. The evening before Thanksgiving my daughter and I were in a tripod stand about 40 yards from a feeder when a big hog came in. Although there was only about 15 minutes of light left, I could see that he was a bar. How and when he was cut is an entirely different issue since no one cuts hogs on the property, but he was big: 350+ lbs.

Anyway, my nine-year old daughter was doing her best to line him up with my favorite stand rifle, an inexpensive Savage Model 16 in .260 Remington (pushing Remington's Managed Recoil loads for stand hunting), but the stock is way too long. Much to her credit, instead of just pointing in the general direction and letting fly, she said, "I can't get a steady shot, dad; you'll have to do it," and she handed me the rifle. I shot the hog and several of us loaded him up.

The Monday after Thanksgiving weekend I ordered a youth stock for the Savage and gave it to her for Christmas. It's still a touch long since she's a small nine-year old, but with a rest she'll be able to handle it much better than a full size rifle. Plus, she'll grow into it; although if she takes after her mother she'll never grow into a full size stock. She did, however, inform me that I'm probably never going to get it back.

Well, anyway, long story short...I know, too late!...here's my dilemma: I now have no .260. And I want a .260. I could always get another Savage since they're great rifles and won't break the bank (not to mention that I wouldn't be worried about banging up the stock in a truck or stand); I could splurge and get a Sako 85 (although there's that stock thing); or I could order an ASR from Montana Rifle Company, sort of splitting the difference between the two.

If y'all were in my shoes, what would you do? And no, I don't want to fool with another caliber. I already have a M70FWT in 7x57, so I'm not destitute of another rifle with which to hunt. I just want another .260.

Thanks

Mike

You are a lucky man. You have a daughter who loves to hunt AND, since she has taken yours, you have every right to go by a new rifle.
I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 260 and love it. I'm a big fan of the Tikka rifles. Having said that, if Odessa has a M7 Stainless in 260 for sale, I believe that is the way I would go.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
You are a lucky man. You have a daughter who loves to hunt AND, since she has taken yours, you have every right to go by a new rifle.
I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 260 and love it. I'm a big fan of the Tikka rifles. Having said that, if Odessa has a M7 Stainless in 260 for sale, I believe that is the way I would go.

Thanks. She's funny: wanted a rifle (mine) and new Barbie for Christmas. Got 'em both.

Speaking of Tikka, my evil brother-in-law is keeps whispering that both Tikka and Sako are still cranking about 6.5x55s. Get thee behind me, Satan.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AJD

You guys are killing me! Anyone hit the last powerball?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bite the bullet get the Sako but in 6.5 X 55. You will relegate the .260 to that part of your mind where you store the memories of all those mousey girls who were nice enough to take home to Mom but somehow never tripped your trigger, the ones whose names you can't quite remember.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (16penny, 405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.