Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
its looking like I failed on elk this year... i have one more day i can hunt and its not looking good, so i am considering a buffalo to fill the freezer. i live in eastern washington and would travel to montana or so to grab one. i dont need a hunt as much as a pile of meat....and i want to kill it myself. hide is of little value to me as is the head. looking for meat is the goal.

any advice?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good question, interested in the answer as well.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
look for a hunt for a yearling or 2 year old then if your not really out for hide or head....meat will be alot better though you get less than a trophy bull.....the tribes here have a "buffalo ranch" here and though im a white boy have enough connections that a some usually winds up in my freezer over the course of a year laugh im sure the tribes here would sell yah a meat buff to shoot but im pretty sure you can find one closer to home than me even though you included Montana in your post....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
high country;
I hope this finds you acceptably well and that you had a good Christmas.

The only thought I'll offer on your query is that everyone I've talked to that went on a buffalo hunt that did not keep the hide and get it tanned has said afterward that they wished they had done so.

I'm cognizant that adds cost to the process, but that's what I've been told a few times now.

All the best to you and yours in 2014 sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buy a side of beef.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
high country;
I hope this finds you acceptably well and that you had a good Christmas.

The only thought I'll offer on your query is that everyone I've talked to that went on a buffalo hunt that did not keep the hide and get it tanned has said afterward that they wished they had done so.

I'm cognizant that adds cost to the process, but that's what I've been told a few times now.

All the best to you and yours in 2014 sir.

Dwayne
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.
Buffalo Pasture hunts 'round here are fairly spendy.
I'd find a local rancher and buy his home grown beef also.

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wageslave
Yep.
Buffalo Pasture hunts 'round here are fairly spendy.
I'd find a local rancher and buy his home grown beef also.

The rancher might even let you shoot it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Buy a side of beef.

beef aint exactly cheap either right now....paid $900 for half a 4-H steer cut and wrapped a month ago cause my wife struck out on elk this year....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
if you can find a ranch that grass-feeds rather than grain feeds it may be worthwhile, otherwise just buy beef.

having said that, IME,you're generally looking at the following on a shoot-and-keep-all ranch:

cow: $800-$1000

meat bull (2-3YO, 1100#) $2000-$3000

mature bull (4-7YO, 1200# plus) $5000-$6000

Last edited by UtahLefty; 12/27/13.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$900 is way cheaper than the buff hunts round here.

PG, CB or LR preferred? grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

LR for me. I like to overpenetrate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what she said.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

that was a half....be $1900 for a whole one.....least the whole one i bought and split with my inlaws.....when the girls were still home on top of the game meat we would buy 3 beef halves through out the year.....keeping two young athletes fed was an expensive proposition, Jess would come home from practice, thaw out a 2 pound package of burger, make it into three patties, fry them up and eat them and a couple hours later have supper crazy course i also really like our local range raised beef aswell.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$2500 for a meat bull here....
then you gotta get it cut and wrapped.....
I'll take the $900, have a third the bill and be able to eat all the meat before it's freezer burnt.
Maybe someone will sell already wrapped buffalo....I do not know.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get on the internet and just google up something like, "buff hunts".

I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seriously, the best option for cheap meat is horse. There are a bunch of old canners out there a guy could pick up for nothing. As in the cost of hauling it off. Cut it up yourself, and you're into a lot of meat for almost nothing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No one, if it's just for meat, i don't think there is any way you can economically justify a buff over going with a side of cow.
But Buff to me does taste better than cow, the one i shot was grass fed, not kept in a feed lot. He is looking at me now, hanging on the wall.
Don't discount those hides if you do shoot one. It is not cheap to get one done, but i have two rugs or whatever made out of them, and they are quite beautiful, heavy, and you could sleep through a blizzard under them. Don't forget dustin hoffman in "little big man" under them blankets with the sisters.
About five years ago, i paid about 2k for a mature bull, another 1200 or so for the head/hide to be done, probably another 300 for processing and so on.
Since we have run out of mr buff meat was thinking of getting another one. Think i would have to kill through about 5k to do it today.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a Bison Farm about five miles from my Virginia Home and they have a store that sells nothing but Bison Meat and i buy from them , but never liked it as well as Beef or Elk .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i have been doing so well on deer and elk over the years that i have maintained a motto of "beef free since 93".....i am not buying a beef.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.