Print Thread
Hop To
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I finally had the chance to play with the SO BCS2. My 1st impression is this is a pretty amazing shelter. Truly enough room for 3 guys during hunting season. It is probably has the most efficient space to weight ratio of any shelter I have used. My only bitch so far is it doesn't quite fit in my side yard at my house smile

I'll be looking forward to get it out in the field over the next couple weeks and also to get a chance to use it in the "Grand" version.

It does come in a bit heavier than the original BCS but is still plenty light and compact for solo trips.

All in all a very well thought out upgrade.

Ed T

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I want to get my hands on it too. I am pretty sure I want one, might replace the six.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
My thoughts as well. Base form solo to 3, in "Grand: format a six man shelter.

Ed T

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What are the main differences between that shelter and the original ?
Tim

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Tim,

Biggest changes are two zippered entrances with the stove jack between them. Slightly lowered height, eliminated the "tail" at the rear, a few inches wider at the rear. A bit heavier than the BCS1, but only 2-3 ounces more than the BCS1 with the optional zip-in panel. More useable space.

Ed T

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I recall, the Grande version comes in right about 4 lbs complete and the standard version comes in at 3 lbs 6 ounces complete. This equates to a slightly higher minimum weight than the BCS1, however much more room for the weight. I have done 4 and a stove in the Grande version.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good info thanks. The BCS1 has been excellent, but the 2 zippers is a much better idea when using the stove. Add that to my to-buy list before next Fall. The tent and the stove together (ED T Ti stove) redefine comfort and portability. Nothing like going to sleep at night with the stove glowing orange.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have just got a BCS 2 from SO- and absolutely fabulous service from Angie at SO ( I think Kevin probably calls her the boss ;^) Or if he is smart he does. They seem to be a great team. Thanks!!

I have a Integral Designs George Tarp that I have used for years and was thinking of having SO put a stove jack in its extra panel. While I do like the light weight of the ID GT; the BCS is better in a ton of ways; and I am happy I just got it rather than putting a jack in the George tarp.

Kevin- ? Pardon my ingnorance, but what is the Grand option on the BCS2?

Thanks again!

-Stephen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the Grand is the back end of two bcs2 put together. If I was starting over with a heated shelter the BCS2 would be in the final running.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soooo. You can't stand up in a BCS2?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would be a deal breaker for me. I really like being able to stand up to put my pants on.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
The BCS2 isn't much shorter, it's like 6'8 or 6'10. Unless Brad & Dan have grown a lot since I last saw them, they can stand to put on pants:)

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like and am impressed with my BCS1 ,not sure how or what you would want to improve on a great tent..The BCS is still my favorite for extended trips..IMO

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Could anybody post any pics of their BCS 2? The pics on the site leave me wanting for more. I would like to get one of these shelters someday. When I have the cash and the price is right I will. I've missed two discounts I think, one when I was furloughed during the shutdown and the other right before Christmas. Hard to spend money on myself at times like that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
The BCS2 isn't much shorter, it's like 6'8 or 6'10. Unless Brad & Dan have grown a lot since I last saw them, they can stand to put on pants:)

When you say it like that it just sounds kinky eek

Would you say it's a safe bet that you could fit a Sawtooth inside of it?

I'm also curious if the BCS2 has a rear pole in it?

I'm Irish...

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I think it would be pretty close on fitting a Sawtooth. I know the BCS2 is wider in the rear than the ST. Single pole. I guess I would describe it as a tipi/mid morph, Think the best features of a 4/6 man tipi along with the best features of a mid like an SL5. With the guy outs there is s lot of head room, almost like side walls.
You should come over one weekend and we can go out in it for a night or two.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh I've grown a lot just not that direction! Lol. I'm hoping 5 more days of elk hunting will start the diet on the right track!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EdT, I'm still unemployed all next week too. Pretty much XC skiing and drinking whiskey all week. It really sucks.

Randy and I are going to make a trip into a lake, 6 miles, and jig great big Macs through the ice. That's the weekend of the 10th-12th. I'll probably get stuck working that Friday, and head in Saturday morning.

You're certainly welcome up here anytime. Ice fishing trips, you're required to bring a 5th per person, per day smile

I'm Irish...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.