Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The good, bad & the ugly from those who have it or have had it.

Thinking of switching from cable to Direct TV & have gotten a lot of mixed reviews with internet searches, but overall, more negative than positive.

Thanks.

MM

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only thing it has going for it is that it's better than any of the alternatives.

Been a DirectTV customer for something like 12 or 14 years now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have Comcast cable in VA and DTV in SC. I prefer DTV. Better selection, picture and customer service. But cable has the better Internet offering for me because I work from home with huge up and down load file requirements.

Having said that when I fully move into one residence I may go AT&T and U-Verse. They seem to have the best TV-Internet package.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Direct TV has been good for me. Only very rarely in an extreme storm will reception go out and there has to be lots of electrical activity. It's no big deal if you have a DVR. You can always watch a recorded movie or show.

Maybe once a year the box will glitch and has to be rebooted. I had one box that failed but Direct TV sent me a new one that I received in a couple of days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been a customer off and on since 1995. I lived a couple of places that I couldn't have a dish put in and they are eons ahead of Dish and just way better than cable. Other than that,they suck. smile

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Interesting because that's the first positive comment I've heard about ATT and U-Verse.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have lost reception a few times a year during bad, really bad weather, I never lost any sleep over that.

One thing about DT, they insist that you are "responsible" for their equipment, if the reciever goes out, they say you pay for the new receiver as you are the one leasing it,

I told them to pound sand and just come and unhook the system, I'm done,

That is always followed by,"Well Kenneth, Our records show you have been a valuable customer for 9 years and We certainly wish to continue with that",

be firm and DT can be very accommodating. The pay per view can be handy at times, Six bucks for a HD movie, beats 50 bucks at the theater.

I really can't recommend DT, nor can I say any other provider is better, 900 channels of crap and reruns, other than sports, I'm not sure why I even have DT. YMMV.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The only thing it has going for it is that it's better than any of the alternatives.

This....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 options where I live, Dish and directv. Directv is MUCH better and their rates are VERY stable.

Once your intro-rate is expired your bill will stay the same for years on end if you don't change programming around. I have the same package for over 10yrs and my bill has gone up exactly $10.

They also have an arrangement with Verizon for bill bundling and internet service thru Verizon DSL.

The only equipment failure I've had is a remote and it was many years old.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Interesting because that's the first positive comment I've heard about ATT and U-Verse.

My parents and sister's love U-Verse as do my neighbors. And they all moved off DTV. The problem for folks like me is I'm more dependent on the Internet for work. It becomes very expensive to get the Net without some sort of package TV deal.

As for TV, all I care about are the base channels and sports packages. Oh, and Gunsmoke/Encore Westerns. :-)

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
As I write this, I am holding in my other hand a letter from DTV telling me my rates are going up.

Programming is becoming expensive, it appears.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
As I write this, I am holding in my other hand a letter from DTV telling me my rates are going up.

Programming is becoming expensive, it appears.

Cable rates increase every year whether you ask for it or not. frown

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have FiOS for 3 days. So far, 3 service calls for video (Pixelation) and audio breakup and three different CS reps with different accents, none American. Channels disappearing, reappearing. Tech coming Monday, if not fixed going back DTV and I'll deal with the bad weather.

Americans First!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had Direct-TV for many years and have no intention of changing.

One thing to consider, we're in Montana and our Direct-TV is through a rural cooperative and not Direct TV itself. Usually, none of the Direct TV special offers apply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the last 21 years, we have tried both DirecTv and Dish, as well as a brief fling with service through our telephone co-op. We are now pretty well set with DTV, as the pricing and service have been consistently better than the alternatives.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We've had local cable, Dish Network, and now DirecTV. We've had DTV for the last 2-1/2 years, and it's the best we've had by a good margin.....more HD options, cheaper rates, better service, and they have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Neither Dish or DirecTV will ever upgrade your equipment for long term customers, so I'm almost of the opinion it's best to switch back and forth.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not true. Back in July DTV called me and said I was eligible for upgrade to their Genie, which actually saved me money because it took place of a second HD DVR we no longer needed.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We upgraded to the Genie at the two-year point. The new equipment was free, with another two-year contract, and gave us better usability.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
They should call it "Repeat TV". And it doesn't matter what package you get you are paying to support channels that cannot survive on their own; like the shopping channels. I am ready to just about give up on TV anyway. They need "ala carte" and let the buyer decide on which individual channels they want to get. A lot of those other channels would go belly up. Good riddance.
I only have it because cable ends a half mile from my house. And the reason I want cable is Road Runner for the PC.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (14idaho, 35, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 876 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.