Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
There is another feeding frenzy in DC over this issue.
link to story
Liberals say keep paying, even while they keep bleating that the economy is recovering. Conservatives say, create jobs instead, save the SIX BILLION dollars, and if the economy IS recovering, the problem will correct itself.
What is really going on, as we all know, is that liberals want Americans out of work, and tied to government.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like to see people going through hardship any more that the next guy does. That being said, I don't agree with extending the benefits. There's work out there-it may not be what folks want at this time, but there's jobs to be had. I really struggle with extending these benefits, when there's places hiring. I would do whatever it took, work-wise to put food on the table for my family. I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, where the steel industry collapse devastated the local economy. Through the collapse, I was unemployed for a grand total of 1 day. 'Didn't particularly like the job I took when I got laid off from my other job, but it was work and it paid the bills until I found something better. Folks need to swallow their pride and just get a job period, then start looking for a better one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Watching the 10:00 news last night and the interviews with the people who just got cut off was depressing.

We need to rename the phenomena that Obama and the Progressives have brought us. Wrap the Affordable Care Act, the IRS targeting non progressives, the EPA's tyranny, the Attorney General's war on Justice, and the Congress' willingness to run us into bankruptcy.

We need to lump it all under the title "Democratcare".

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would suggest perhaps niether side is real excited about extending because it will show what the real unemployment numbers are and the economy is still in deep doo doo because of a total lack of leadership in Washington.

Time to talk up that Oblama economy again NWA. Only near 48 miilion on foodstamps. Life is great on the left.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good. Although I'm sure when congress gets off there vacation it will be the first thing they re-instate. Dems can't lose there voting block, and I'm sure they will blame it on the right ( and yes, I am unemployed although not on unemployment)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would suggest perhaps niether side is real excited about extending because it will show what the real unemployment numbers are and the economy is still in deep doo doo because of a total lack of leadership in Washington.

BINGO!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I don't like to see people going through hardship any more that the next guy does. That being said, I don't agree with extending the benefits. There's work out there-it may not be what folks want at this time, but there's jobs to be had. I really struggle with extending these benefits, when there's places hiring. I would do whatever it took, work-wise to put food on the table for my family. I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, where the steel industry collapse devastated the local economy. Through the collapse, I was unemployed for a grand total of 1 day. 'Didn't particularly like the job I took when I got laid off from my other job, but it was work and it paid the bills until I found something better. Folks need to swallow their pride and just get a job period, then start looking for a better one.

My feelings, too. Some of these people have been drawing for what, 2 years or so ( between their state & federal benefits )?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
as the article says "the GOP is right on policy, but wrong on the politics".
As long as the liberals control the mass media, any viewpoint other than theirs will get short shrift on the 6:00 news.
The so called "free press", the supposed cornerstone of a Democracy, has been hijacked by the left, and is the vehicle they use to destroy Democracy.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have any problem with cutting off employment benefits. It's a simple insurance proposition. We all pay our premiums, and for that we get up to six months of unemployment. Not 12, not 24, not 36.

We all know people that game the system. They are probably a fairly good sized minority, but the bigger problem is that the government teat keeps people from going out and doing what it takes. Go drive a truck. Go work night shift. The "job" has become some status symbol of who you are, instead of just paying your bills, and taking care of yourself.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My wife's friend figured out how to extend her unemployment 2 1/4 yrs. She worked for a credit counseling company only for 1 year. I was amazed!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On interesting statistic is how many people actually "find" a job really close to when the benefits run out compared to at, oh, 10 months.

Some people need incentive to actually take a job instead of looking for the "perfect" job.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How many of those without jobs voted for zero?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My one big problem with this is cutting off benefits to everyone that's been receiving unemployment for longer than 26 weeks with basically no notice.

They have could have at least given people 90 days to plan ahead. I'm not in favor of forever unemployment benefits but cutting people off right after Christmas is cruel.

IMO, there should be a time limit on receiving full benefits and after a certain point they should taper off. Make it hurt to be unemployed for a long period of time.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie
On interesting statistic is how many people actually "find" a job really close to when the benefits run out compared to at, oh, 10 months.

Some people need incentive to actually take a job instead of looking for the "perfect" job.

even more amazing, is the number of folks that finagle their way into the ranks of the 'disabled' when their unemployment runs out. They are committed, just dip out of a different pocket.

Sam......

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eyeball
How many of those without jobs voted for zero?

Most likely, all of them. sick

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
are not people told how long their benefits will last at the start ,,MARK it on the calander dumb ass then when they turn the page 6-12 months or so later the WAKE UP call is there,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks need to swallow their pride and just get a job period, then start looking for a better one.

The following is just my personal opinion:

While I agree in principle with this there are other factors in play.

Take the area I live in for example. The economy has been on the downhill slope since all the outsourcing of manufacturing began in the 1990's ( i.e. the reason I went back to college as my decent paying job went to Guatemala)

Couple this with the most recent downturn and there is almost nothing left.

Jobs on the lower end of the pay scale (i.e. fast food workers, loading docks, etc.) are in large part filled by the burgeoning illegal Hispanic influx.

Another factor here is programs like Tyson Foods is instituting at one of their chicken production facilities in NC. They are bringing in something like 450 workers from Burma to replace many current employees and run the operation . I am sure there are other companies doing the same thing.

And this is being done with the blessings, replete with monthly stipends for the workers and tax breaks for the company, of both the NC state government and the varmints in DC.

The better paying jobs are even fewer and further between. Any openings that appear usually have an avalanche of applications (i.e. 1,000 +). Thus, it often becomes a sheer numbers game.

Then add in very unique job requirements on many positions like one I recently saw that wanted fluency in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and Hindustani and the employment field gets even more narrow.

Another thing that has to be looked at is folks that have, like my own situation ( permanent long-term neuro-muscular ailments that affect my back, legs, and eye-hand coordination), medical issues that preclude them from working some jobs.

I know I would be happy to work on loading dock or a production line but my body would not last more than a day or two and I would be back to walking with a cane or in the hospital with my arms and legs seized up again.

One more item I have encountered if you have a good education and a lot of experience ( like my personal case) many potential employers will shy away. I have actually been told " you are far too qualified for any position we have open."

I guess the fear of having to pay someone too much or the fear of a more highly qualified person not staying with them drives this.

In short, I guess what I am saying is that the issue is seldom as cut and dried as governmental reports and figures or media reporting is showing.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12/29/13.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are folks that really need unemployment, and there are those gaming the system. Democrats lump them all into the poor and downtrodden. Its there game.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Cartod
There are folks that really need unemployment, and there are those gaming the system. Democrats lump them all into the poor and downtrodden. Its there game.

I'm all for folks with a work history receiving the benefits, those with no history should get nothing.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generally state unemployment lasts for 6mos. The people I feel bad for are the ones in construction (i know this all to well, but im lucky that im never off long enough to worry about it) It can very easily be 6-7 months between projects in the northern part of the states. I know many will say "just go pick up and go to the dakotas" we'll leaving ones family and everything they've ever known is just not for everyone. The sad part about the construction guys is they are contributing into the top 10% when they are working. vicious cycle. But if ya plan for it, its doable. Where many of these people would rather just sit on unemployment is if they go get a 10/hr job, if they get layed off from there, it shows less earnings, and they get less unemplyoment really putting themselves in a bind next time. vicious cycle. I personally do side jobs, and plow snow for the city. I also "bid" on every job that comes up dont care what it is or who its for. Probably why im generally off only 4mos at the longest, ive taken some real lemon jobs and turned them into 80-100K jobs.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,574
Posts18,531,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.