Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by norm99
are not people told how long their benefits will last at the start ,,MARK it on the calander dumb ass then when they turn the page 6-12 months or so later the WAKE UP call is there,

norm

Not renewing the extension of benefits changed how long people planned on receiving benefits. This didn't come up until December and they had now way of knowing they'd be cut off prior to that.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Are a lot of people who won't take a job because unemployment pays more. Why work when you can do whatever you want and get more money? They'll take jobs when they have to, when the money runs out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have an extended family member in Illinois that has just received 3 years of unemployment benefits. And keep in mind, he hasn't been cut off yet. It should be 90 days, then zero. The corruption is mind boggling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought unemployment only lasted 6 months and then you had better have a job because unemployment ran out. Why 1 or 2 years?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Around here, all the jobs that normally high school kids get, ( like working at McDonald's for instance) are being held by adults that WILL work....

programs at the local community college, particularly that have to do with anything medical, has a 2 to 3 year waiting list, of those that have been accepted....mainly women who have a husband that is permanently unemployed ( meaning he won't work), is a meth head or deals drugs and steals stuff from others.. they mainly take the minimal courses it takes to qualify as a CNA and then hope to get on with the local hospital... then work enough hours to get medical benefits and that is it...

my wife works in the staffing office at the local hospital, and it is amazing how little work ethic there is here on the west coast, vs the Midwest work ethic she came from being from Minnesota....

she even has to take periods of time off, when she maxes out her accrued vacation time.. and is one of the few women in the hospital in that position... use it or lose it and state law doesn't allow the hospital to just make her lose it...

if the roads are bad, half the staff calls in sick... if the weekend is going to have nice weather, seems half the staff calls in sick....people want to be paid to be on call, and then get all pissed off when they are called in....

as my wife grumbles about " I can't come in to work today, I broke a nail and have to go see my manicurist at 11..."...

this in a town with the economy being crap, even in the best of economic times...

about a third of the local working aged adults around here, are on some sort of assistance, half those are collecting under multiple identities weekly..... and it is probably just coincidence that according to the sheriff's office and the county commissioners, that they figure 1/3 of the local economy is also tied into production and distribution of illegal drugs...

however they look the other way, if it is not going to be distributed locally... they figure it is the job of those down the highway in California where most of it is bound for, to stop distribution down there....

people lose their unemployment benefits around here, they are busy scamming another way to stay on the Government Hand out program....doesn't seem to concern many.. they don't want to work anyway....

and getting a job, just means that they figure how much time it takes to work, and then get laid off, to start the cycle all over again... and the local governmental distribution agencies, seem to be orientated to counsel them on just how and when to do so... means job security for them to be needed to hand it all out...

democrats, spending other people's money....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I thought unemployment only lasted 6 months and then you had better have a job because unemployment ran out. Why 1 or 2 years?

That's the way it used to be until Hussein started handing out welfare benefits to the chronically unemployed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by norm99
are not people told how long their benefits will last at the start ,,MARK it on the calander dumb ass then when they turn the page 6-12 months or so later the WAKE UP call is there,

norm

Not renewing the extension of benefits changed how long people planned on receiving benefits. This didn't come up until December and they had now way of knowing they'd be cut off prior to that.

maybe true but they should not Expect extensions an realy only on what was the initial term

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
If they made people work for the state--mowing lawns, picking up trash, washing buildings, etc.--as a condition of unemployment pay, most of the unemployed would be employed within a few weeks.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What about the people that are already employed doing that work?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About two years I got unexpectedly laid off. Unemployment was a God-send because I had made a career move to take the new position and got screwed. However, I gave myself 4 months (120 days) to find a another career position. Once that 4 months was up, I had made a deal with my wife to get a job. Any job. Even if it hurt my career. So I did. I got a job selling cars. I hated it, but it paid the bills. I've still not found a position at the level, pay and status I was at before I was laid off, but at some point, you have to be a man, take your lumps and feed your family.

There are plenty of jobs and opportunities, but most of them aren't great jobs. That being said, they are JOBS. You really think my grandfather wanted to do half the things he did during the depression to support his family?

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 12/29/13.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is just the start of the 2014 election season and this is the first (of many) Democrat "distractions" to shift the attention from the Democrats and Obamacare to the Republicans.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unemployment benefits need to be changed in to an interest free loan. You get three years of benefits and then you don't get any more until the loan is paid back. If you never pay it back they take it out of your SS.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say extend them. The jobs out there(at least my area) arent enough to keep pace with the unemployed. Especially at this time when the retail market is ridding themselves of seasonal workers. We lost over half of our workers this past year(more going in the spring) and the number one complaint from those workers at the recent job fair? Getting turned down for lower wage positions because they are "over qualified". A bunch of these employees are losing their homes, though a union rep was on hand to help enroll some in union sponsored mortgage programs to see some through. A couple filed for bankruptcy. I really feel for these people. Looks like ill be heading the same direction, though I dont have nearly as much to lose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Unemployment benefits need to be changed in to an interest free loan. You get three years of benefits and then you don't get any more until the loan is paid back. If you never pay it back they take it out of your SS.

So one gets penalized for not paying back a loan you already paid for?

Last edited by pahick; 12/29/13.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Many of you fail to understand the economics of unemployment, what we have are basically good people that are out of work.

For these people to loose their homes and cars makes little sense, the jobs are gone for good, unfair trade packs and restrictive taxes guarantee they won't be back any time soon.

I don't know the answer but helping these people out short term is a way better option then letting them fail.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain why giving people money for 3 years and basically encouraging them not to work is a good idea? The long term unemployed, become very difficult to employ again. It is a dependency trap that needs to end after initial 90 days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make recipients pay back funds received.

Allow 6 months free and clear, any extension beyond that should be payed back when the person is gainfully employed.

.5 - 5% or so withheld from future paychecks, depending on the amount borrowed, would go a long way to motivate some to find work and at the least ensure some form of taxes were payed.

In my state you can receive nearly $600 dollars a week for a year and a half! Over 40k just handed over! Lots of people claim UE while working full time under the table.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I have a friend/neighbor and neighbor who milked it for I believe two years. He was an HR manager for a number of years and knew the system.
For two years he went on line weekly and applied for jobs that he really would not have taken anyway and was sure that he would not get.
Finally the gravey train ran out on him, so his wife found a job.
This story is quite a bit more complicated, but the bottom line is he milked the system for a long time and had plenty of time to hunt and fish, on our dime.
Oh, and he got rid of an old Ford explorer and got a nice new car for his daughter under the "cash for Clunkers" program.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner

In my state you can receive nearly $600 dollars a week for a year and a half! Over 40k just handed over! Lots of people claim UE while working full time under the table.

And thats called fraud! If you know someone, turn them in!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to think stories like that were the exception. Not anymore.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 61 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,420
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.