Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry jimy, for the sarcasm, but do you want to know how to get a truck driving job that takes two years experience ?

Go get two years experience.

Go take a minimum wage, entry level truck driving job, or head up to the Dakotas and drive in the cold and snow for two years.

THEN, go back and apply for the job that takes experience.

In short, do whatever you have to do. If that means finding a way to live on minimum wage for a couple of years, then DO IT.

Nobody said it was easy.
Easy was the first two years of unemployment, when you had full benefits. That was easy, but if the whole unemployed experience does not get tougher over time. If it isn't uncomfortable, then why go back to work at all ?
There are lots of people who have made the decision, the "lifestyle choice" to not work, sit back and live off of taxpayer dollars.
I know some of them, and frankly, they live pretty good. At least in California, nobody goes hungry, nobody gets cold, far from it. Not unless you spend your welfare money on booze and drugs.
People on welfare have cable TV and Smart Phones. People on welfare have high speed internet and go to see movies at the movie theater.
I'm tired of paying for it.

Like I said above, if your on "unemployment" for over two years, your not on unemployment, your on welfare.
And if your on welfare, living off my tax dollars, you better be spending your days trying to find something productive to do, not sitting on your azz watching Opra on the big screen.

MOLON LABE
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I would suggest perhaps niether side is real excited about extending because it will show what the real unemployment numbers are and the economy is still in deep doo doo because of a total lack of leadership in Washington.

Time to talk up that Oblama economy again NWA. Only near 48 miilion on foodstamps. Life is great on the left.

Perhaps we can eliminate poverty and unemployment (in one fell swoop) just by letting the unwashed, poor and, unemployed starve to death. That way, universal prosperity is just around the corner.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
But I like Oprah, and I like my big screen, and I deserve both of them.
Why would I want to work for minimum wage, or be cold ?

I'd really like to be selling weed but big government and over regulation make it almost impossible on a small scale, Mexican imports grown with out DEP regulators or labor relations demanding FICA payments make it tough.
Maybe I will look into trucking. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shoot MoFo, no mo welfare checks???

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Time to talk up that Oblama economy again NWA. Only near 48 miilion on foodstamps. Life is great on the left.

Wife and I were talking about the "Obama" economy today, we are seeing more and more clean cut, educated, neatly dressed middle aged white men at the highway off ramps with cardboard signs looking for help. In the old days (Bush and before) the only folks looking for handouts in our town at the street corners were unshaven folks that looked like they spend the past 20 years living in the woods drinking.

Ted
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
I really do sympathize with those that are in careers or areas with high unemployment. It sucks. It's bad luck. It's awful. It's terrible. There's no jobs. Yes, I get it. We all get it.

So what?

No one owes you a job. You don't have the right to a job. You most certainly have no right to a nice job at a nice pay level exactly where you want it.

Move. Get a truck driving job. Start a home business. Start a regular business. Telemarket. Buy and sell. Work in the oil fields.

It's up to you

The government ("we the People") doesn't owe you anything....

Yep! This is the right thought!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I feel that Federal un-employment extensions should work like this;

To start, you get what ever your state provides, then once that runs out the first federal extension should be

100% for six months

The second federal extension should be

80% for six months

Then 60%, then 40% then 20% until straight up welfare is more lucrative.

You can dilly dally around with those numbers just about any way you want, as long as each extension is noticeably less than the one before it, slowly weaning people off the gravy train.

See, i always thought it should be a dollar amount. Say 6 months at 100%, or whatever the initial rate is. Calculate that dollar amount and that is how much you can collect. If you go to work at Burger King at minimum wage and only need to take $300 a week, then you benefits last longer. Give the person an incentive to take a lower paying job right away while looking for a better job. We cant just keep paying people to now work. 6 months is a pretty good deal.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jimy
Many of these people have no idea how to find a job, many are long or life time employees who's jobs have been eliminated or out sourced over seas, they don't need kicked in the face they need a hand, some more than others.

I know of no one that asked to be in their situation, and if you are not then be happy things have worked out well for you.

That works for 6 months. After that, you should not expect someone to pay your way. A career change or a move might be in your future. The government could open the economy like crazy if they would process some permits on drilling and mining. Energy is a booming industry that can drive this country, but the government is fighting it every step of the way.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs
I would suggest perhaps niether side is real excited about extending because it will show what the real unemployment numbers are and the economy is still in deep doo doo because of a total lack of leadership in Washington.

Perhaps we can eliminate poverty and unemployment (in one fell swoop) just by letting the unwashed, poor and, unemployed starve to death. That way, universal prosperity is just around the corner.

spoken like a true progressive djs. Make up a worst case scenario, assign it to your opposition, and then finish up with sarcasm and innuendo. Bravo.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Some thing some of you don't quite have a handle on is the fact the jobs these people need do not exist any longer.

Some of say , move, to where? with what? Just how do you sell your home when the economy in that area is dead? Who wants it?

Who takes care of your elderly parents? The state? The church? Or maybe their elderly neighbors?

Some of you would rather bitch and whine about others than to be thankful for what you have.

When I was "downsized" in the fall of 2008, I did what was needed. I moved 500 miles away and had to essentially commute for 6 months until my family could join me. While at that job I kept looking for a better one. After 18 months I found a job back in our old area, better than the one I lost. It takes some perseverance and maybe even a bit of hardship but I never collected a dime of unemployment money. It most certainly can be done.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Some thing some of you don't quite have a handle on is the fact the jobs these people need do not exist any longer.

Some of say , move, to where? with what? Just how do you sell your home when the economy in that area is dead? Who wants it?

Who takes care of your elderly parents? The state? The church? Or maybe their elderly neighbors?

Some of you would rather bitch and whine about others than to be thankful for what you have.

A return question would be... why do I have to pay for that person and the choices he made. It is unfortunate that some jobs have disappeared, but there is work and business in this country. A person needs to do what is necessary to make a living.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oakster

A return question would be... why do I have to pay for that person and the choices he made. It is unfortunate that some jobs have disappeared, but there is work and business in this country. A person needs to do what is necessary to make a living.

But that's so cold and hard shouldn't you be carrying them for 12 or 15 years or forever if they whine well enough?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent 9 months looking for a job that paid more than $8 an hour. I didn't find one so I took a Walmart job. I didn't like it but since I was getting retirement pay I could not get Unemployment money. I spent 25 months at Walmart before I got a job I could make real money at. I made just enough at Walmart to pay for health care but it was worth it. Working at Walmart sucks and you will have to lower your standards but it was the right decision to take the job.

I don't have any sympathy for those folks who's unemployment runs out because Walmart is hiring. Sometimes you have to do what is necessary to survive. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's one big "atta boy" for the Duckster, well done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are plenty of "shovel ready" jobs available. Trouble is, there IS a shovel involved.

These parasites do not desire to work and would sit on their lazy ass and starve to damn death before they would put in an honest day's work..

The country is on it's way down.

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
=OaksterA return question would be... why do I have to pay for that person and the choices he made. It is unfortunate that some jobs have disappeared, but there is work and business in this country. A person needs to do what is necessary to make a living.

So it is you paying them? Are you saying men that worked their whole life paid nothing into this fund that they are now using ?

If you do feel this burden is being unfairly placed upon you maybe you should take a look at how much we really piss away.

Government auditors spent the past five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them -- costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually -- fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve.

Now doesn't that bite you right on the sak?

Last edited by jimy; 12/29/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I talk to contractors weekly who are having a hard time getting guys who can work inside the plants, general laborers, people in the trades, equipment operators etc.. that start off at $15/hour and go up very quickly to $25-$40 per hour because they can't find people who can pass a drug test, a background check to get a TWIC card, and now plants are doing credit checks as well.

They also make them take training test, shave clean daily etc...Lots of folks can't pass the test or keep their beard off or show up to work wihtout missing a day every two weeks.

Seems like when I entered the work force for the first time unemployment was 6 weeks and then they extended it to 12 weeks after a big deal about it.

I'm 42 and have never been eligible for unemployment. When I don't get paid I just don't get paid.

Years ago a friend of mine got out of the Navy and went on unemployment and came by and asked me to sign his deal saying that he was looking for work (pre internet days). I told him to get the [bleep] out of my office. SOB then went to my dad and asked him the same thing. Pretty much the last I talked to him but I hear about him every so often.

I don't know if they still do it but guys in the heavy construction industry around here used to really abuse the crap out of the system when things were really going good. They would always try and get laid off right before hunting season and draw unemployment thru hunting season and go right back to work after.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/29/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So it is you paying them? Are you saying men that worked their whole life paid nothing into this fund that they are now using ?

way to twist the man's statement. There is a huge difference between stating that there should be a finite limit to the length of benefits one can collect for unemployment and your projected assertion

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This was posted on a local marketplace recently. Is it me?

Does anyone here know of anyone that is hiring? My husband has been out of work since May and with the end of the federal unemployment coming on the 28th its getting pretty desperate. I have an interview at City Market tomorrow but our landlord has decided that he can't work with us anymore. If anyone has any ideas they would be very welcome.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just another slacker looking for a hand out, right?

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1234, 29aholic, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,575
Posts18,532,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.