Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Just one bit of advice. Don't carry a balance. The interest on mine is way too high.

That's the key to any CC.

The Cabelas card is ok, but for a standard rewards card, Cableas charges insane interest rates, 20% on mine.

any balance at all will wipe out any rewards.

There are better reward cards available, that you can redeem on a much larger variety of goods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I charged over 100,000 on mine building my house,,,, paid it off every month with draws on the construction loan,,,, had a nice shopping spree after the house was done , good customer service

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1 on the customer service. Also quick to point out fraudulent charges as well. Much appreciated since I use mine for online shopping.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They were a great help when I got fraudulent charges, a book company kept sending books claiming I ordered them for my children, (never had kids) and they would not stop sending them till Cabelas killed all their charges, changed my account number so they could not try it again. Very good service!

Ted
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One word of warning: used mine on a trip from Montana to California this past summer. On the way back home, card was shut off while trying to check in at a hotel. I knew I had no where near my limit, so I called the customer service number on the card...customer service closed at 11:00 pm. Luckily, I don't rely on one card, and the next morning I verified that they shut down the card due to the unusual activity. (I was a little worried that there could have been a lot of fraudulent charges put on the card. Learned from friends that they routinely notify Cabela's before going out of state. My wife used to work for Citibank and their policy if fraudulent charges were suspected would be to request the vendor to ask for ID. Would have been a crappy situation if I was in the middle of nowhere needing gas and they closed down the card without warning.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MY card has been shut down once on a trip as well, called and they cleared it.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

charges insane interest rates, 20% on mine.

The interest rate on mine is a reasonable 14%. I've don't use mine as much as a lot of folks, but about every other year build up $200-$300 worth of points. They also send out a lot of $25, $50, or even $75 off coupons to cardholders at times.

3 years ago I combined a $75 off coupon, a free shipping offer, along with $225 in points to buy a new Leupold scope for just over $100.

I bought a new tent in October for right at $200 off.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Thinking about getting a cabelas Visa card for paying my monthly bills. I thought this May be a good way to accumulate some points to get some "free" stuff from cabelas. Anybody else use one of these for this purpose?
Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I've had one for years now and I've gotten some good, free interest as well as discounts and accumulated points but...it's been at the cost of A LOT of hassles and time spent on the phone with them. For instance, a lot of times they will advertise free interest and no payments for a year on certain items. You go in and get them on your card and the bill shows up wanting paid in the normal fashion. Sometimes this is because there was fine print saying you had to tell them at the time of the purchase. Well, to Cabela's credit they went ahead with the offer anyway once when I did this. Another time though, I looked all over for fine print and couldn't detect any. The bills still showed up and again Cabela's was easy to work with and generally very genial on the phone. I say "Cabela's" but it ain't Cabela's it's the credit card company who owns the financial services. About the third time I not only looked for all fine print but asked/alerted everybody in the store before making my purchases including not only Cabela's people but the people in the credit card kiosk. Still, I had the hassles with the Bills showing up and wanting paid essentially early. The credit card always honored the agreements and the people are usually more friendly than most but it is still a hassle. And all of these times it did not entail just one phone call but multiple calls over probably on average, three different billing cycles where the people assured you the glitch was cleared up but it wasn't.

So get this card and get the discounts and points if you want but be advised, if your experience is like mine, you'll work for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had one for years with favorable results but I think there are better options out there now. I used to use it to pay everything, insurance premiums, house stuff, big and small purchases and ALWAYS pay it off in full ever month...great customer service as well but basically one percent back to me monthly. I switched over to Capital One where it is 1.5 % cash back (Better rebate than Cabelas) across the board and you are free to apply the savings in the form of $$ back to you anywhere you want (not just Cabelas goodies). I will always use the card for in the store purchases and on line buys but now the bulk of my buying is through Capital one....And again, I will never carry a balance because the "Savings" can quickly be used up if one is not really careful about reading the fine print.
My two cents.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
+1 on Capital One. Been using one for years with zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a Cabela's card for about 10 years now, I use it for almost everything.

Kevin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had mine for several years with no troubles at all. That said, we pay it off monthly and use it for the convenience and the better safety associated with the possibility of fraudulent charges or identity theft.
The interest rate is fairly high if you do not pay it off as you use it.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I've got one and used it to pay for our new counter top. I got a lot of points. I've curtailed using it lately due to not getting my statement on time twice. We pay off what's charged so we don't pay interest. If I do use it I keep track of the billing online so I don't pay interest.

Online bill pay enables me to pay off the balance as soon as the charge gets posted.

Last edited by wadevb1; 12/30/13.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best thing about using the Cabela's visa is their customer service. When you call, you get an American who says "this is (name) in Nebraska USA".

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been a card holder since they started, worked my way up to the Black Card.
Excellent company, I think they even own the Bank that carries the card.
Short story, my son went to Australia one summer while he was in college, he had a Visa card from our local credit union. About two days before he left I found out that card was good only in the US.
Panic set in on his part so I called Cabelas to see if theirs was good over there and if he could be put on my account.
Their card is good world wide and they said there would be a card sent to his Australia address, he was there one day and the card showed up.
Most of my points go for Christmas presents, I have just about all the hunting gear I"ll ever use.

Last edited by jbmi; 12/30/13.

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been doing that for years. There might be better cards but this one works for me. I charge everything on it and pay the card in total every month.
I suppose I get $4-500 free stuff per year on this card.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't remember the amounts given back so went and looked it up. Attached is a cabelas web site showing the three cards.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/CLUB-Visa-Program/153277380.uts

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had my Cabela's Visa card for many years. I pay off the balance every month so I don't pay the high interests.

One time my card was compromised, Cabelas called me about a couple of large purchases in another state, and when I said they were not mine, they canceled the charges, and issued me a new card.

They also allow a personal picture on your card. I have my avatar buffalo pic on my card.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll be using it exclusively in Europe, my other CC has a 3% fee for foreign transactions, the Cabela's card has a 1% fee.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
love them... Just went and received 55 dollars worth of free fishing supplies from my points...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.