Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimy
Just another slacker looking for a hand out, right?

you are speaking of yourself?

Sam......

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm your huckleberry,

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I find it odd that a week before your benefits run out you are desperately searching for, not one, but two jobs. No particular skill set mentioned, so not a high bar. There are jobs available locally and I am sure they had a nice relaxing summer.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some of you truly astound me, for you to believe that so many of your friends and neighbors would risk loosing their homes, vehicles and self esteem to collect unemployment checks, instead of trying to find a job.

You do understand these people were once gainfully employed, are long term tax payers that are being taxed on the benefits they are receiving.

The money they receive is being spent locally to improve the economy where they live, paying for utilities, grocery's and every day family needs, its not being pissed away in foreign lands on people that would kill you if givin the chance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These "benefits" are finite and must end.

Folks my never work in the same jobs or in the same place... but they can work.

I am 59yrs old...

When it comes for me i will never get the same job I have back

I will learn to do something else.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They can work, and want to work, yet not every man out there was equally blessed as many of you critics were with double digit IO's.
Many need trained, many are aging and many more are just not physically capable of doing some of these manual labor jobs.

And to slap over the rode truckers in the face by saying any one can drive a truck is just irresponsible.
piloting 85 thousand pounds of steel down the road at 70 plus MPH is not child's play, it takes a prompt, skilled, and disciplined individual to safely deliverer products across America.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got layed off, I had 6 months of unemployment. 2 months later I had found a job. Not doing what I was doing and at only half the pay but it was better pay than unemployment. Still have that job and looking for something with more pay. I am 58 years old.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 12/30/13.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Duckster and mtnsnake are both examples of the system working, and working well, congrats to both.

We only hear of the long term users that haven't yet found meaningful employment.

Last edited by jimy; 12/30/13.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They can work, and want to work, yet not every man out there was equally blessed as many of you critics were with double digit IO's.
Many need trained, many are aging and many more are just not physically capable of doing some of these manual labor jobs.

And to slap over the rode truckers in the face by saying any one can drive a truck is just irresponsible.
piloting 85 thousand pounds of steel down the road at 70 plus MPH is not child's play, it takes a prompt, skilled, and disciplined individual to safely deliverer products across America.

i didn't reply to this yesterday, cause you're obviously a troll, or an idjit. but i'm watching a process run, so i thought, "why not".

ok, so here you go troll boy. let's keep extending unemployment bennies. you tell us how long we're going to pay them?

since 3 years isn't long enough, what is? 5? 10?

how about we just pay people not to work infinitely?

it's not about blessings, IQ's, manual labor, or slapping OTR truck drivers. it's not even about UE abuse or fraud, or republicans or democrats. it's about a finite resource that you people think you can just wish into being infinite.

no matter how much you want to keep giving stuff away, the music is eventually going to stop. and somebody is going to be without a chair.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps we can eliminate poverty and unemployment (in one fell swoop) just by letting the unwashed, poor and, unemployed starve to death. That way, universal prosperity is just around the corner.

Who's going to pay for the funerals? The taxpayer I suppose?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jimy,

One question: exactly how long should "unemployment" continue for? Are you arguing that it should go forever? If not, please give us a length of time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Troll boy, that coming from some one with the grammatical equalivent of an inner city third grader. Touching.

You are giving nothing away, these Americans earned a hand,
our government pizzes away billions of dollars every day,
this is an investment in the very people that make this country great, the American worker.

Oh yea GFY.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by goalie
jimy,

One question: exactly how long should "unemployment" continue for? Are you arguing that it should go forever? If not, please give us a length of time.

I don't know, maybe till the economic climate improves, jobs are more readily available, no one has an answer but I will tell you this.

There is more shame in kicking a good man while he is down than reaching out and helping him to his feet.We are not talking about life time welfare recipients here, we are talking good people in a bad spot, they have paid taxes and with a hand will again pay taxes, that's a good thing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got to go split some wood, I'll be back after dark for our next lesson. smile

Troll Boy,

Last edited by jimy; 12/30/13.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Start handing these folks a cup to piss in before another check is cut and the numbers will fall on their own. Do the same with state welfare benefits.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jimy, you are accusing us of jumping to conclusions of the nature of all of the unemployment recipients, yet you jump to conclusions as to how we define the mass of these recipients. A bit of irony there. The reality of the situation is, some people can do math. If that math tells them that unemployment causes less pain than employment, they will many times choose unemployment.

My observation of the ad that I posted is there is no planning and foresight in that couple, as if the end of benefits were a surprise to them (of course I will not mention that May-Dec layoff does not even qualify them for benefit extension, so I don't believe them). In my world view they would not starve but only if they chose to, but the threat of an empty belly is a great motivator in a responsible individual.

"We only hear of the long term users that haven't yet found meaningful employment."

What is 'meaningful employment' and does it even exist for 6 billion people?

NRA Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My buddy's daughter says she can't find a "fun job".

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is just a troll fest

These benefits are not ment to be a welfare program

The will end at some point.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Many of you fail to understand the economics of unemployment, what we have are basically good people that are out of work.

For these people to loose their homes and cars makes little sense, the jobs are gone for good, unfair trade packs and restrictive taxes guarantee they won't be back any time soon.

I don't know the answer but helping these people out short term is a way better option then letting them fail.

The problem is, we've turned unemployment into a new entitlement, a new kind of welfare. Frankly, we would be better off to have it end after 90 days and have people kicked out of their homes and living on the streets so it would created political pressure for a real economic recovery/ Not the bullshit statism we are getting that does not entail job creation or growth.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I would suggest perhaps niether side is real excited about extending because it will show what the real unemployment numbers are and the economy is still in deep doo doo because of a total lack of leadership in Washington.

Time to talk up that Oblama economy again NWA. Only near 48 miilion on foodstamps. Life is great on the left.

Perhaps we can eliminate poverty and unemployment (in one fell swoop) just by letting the unwashed, poor and, unemployed starve to death. That way, universal prosperity is just around the corner.

spoken like a true progressive djs. Make up a worst case scenario, assign it to your opposition, and then finish up with sarcasm and innuendo. Bravo.

Why, thank you for the complement Sam.

But the fact remains, all the unemployed are not lazy (yes, some are) but with new technologies, many skills are no longer in demand and the training requirements for many new skills are lengthy and expensive (or unattainable). In the mid-1980's recession, the organization I worked for closed and about 300 of us were laid off. After much searching, I did take a down grade in salary (was making just over $195,000, accepted a position that paid only $36,000). I was considered unemployable for many positions since I was told that I'd leave if I got an offer for $200,000 or thereabouts - well, duh).

I went to the hospital this morning for pre-op tests and was greeted by a robotic check-in device which allowed me to check in, sign releases, etc., pay and, confirm the surgery I'm having in two weeks. The doctor told me that they've eliminated about 30 admitting people (over 20 departments) with this system. Perhaps these folks who are now technologically and structurally unemployed are in favor of cost cutting as much as most do, but their skills are now obsolete. With no job, there is no income to use for re-training (maybe we need much greater government grants for multi-year re-training).

I read one economic journal in which it was postulated that the US will need to accept a permanent unemployment rate of about 15-18% (compared with the traditional 3-4%) due to loss of labor-intensive jobs (from robotics, technological innovation and, greater efficiency). The unanswered question is "How will these folks survive"?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 3,243 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,589
Posts18,532,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.