Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I have seen plenty of them but have never ridden an atv that had them. A couple of issues that would prevent me from buying them is turning radius and gas mileage. If you're looking for a machine that can do pretty much anything, i'd look at an Argo type vehicle.

In some places a Argo would be a good way to go. but in Montana where I have been hunting the last few year, a Argo or a side by side are not legal on a ATV trail. and there is also a 51" wide or less rule too.
I am not sure if my ATV would still be 51" or less with tracks ?, it will be real close.
I just sent a email to Camoplast to find out how much the Tracks increase the width.

Kevin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy of mine just bought a 1000 CanAm with tracks for deep snow in the UP and that bastard is awesome.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would recommend a bigger cc then 450. The tracks are heavy and you wont get enough speed to power thru the big stuff...700 cc or better.. Ive seen them run up at Lake of the Woods and there awesome.....

How much snow are you thinking of going thru???
Maybe a little lift and bigger aggressive tires will get thru???
And that would still be cheaper the the tracks......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One other thing that is nice on the tracks is that they don't tear up ground like tires. My ground is real soft muck in places where my bike will sink and needs to claw its way out. My buds bike does very little damage to the trail, I thought it would be the opposite

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by noduck
I would recommend a bigger cc then 450. The tracks are heavy and you wont get enough speed to power thru the big stuff...700 cc or better.. Ive seen them run up at Lake of the Woods and there awesome.....

How much snow are you thinking of going thru???
Maybe a little lift and bigger aggressive tires will get thru???
And that would still be cheaper the the tracks......

The Tracks that I am looking at actually change the sprocket on them for different size machines. ( Camoplast Tatou 4S )where other brands are one size fits all.
I really only want them for when I go out west Elk hunting, some years they get early snows, 1' to 3' with some drifts higher, and the trouble is, it thaws during the day and refreezes at night, after several days of that, it crystalizes, even with chains you can go thru it, and it isn't hard enough to get on top of it.
that is where I think the tracks will work.
It is very frustrating when I drive 1700 miles to go Elk hunting, and I can't get within 12 miles of my best spots.

Kevin

Last edited by buckykm1; 12/30/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm also interested in a tracked atv or utv. I drove a side by side with tracks in a muddy field at a sports show a few years ago. It wasn't much of a test, but in the muck the steering was very heavy. I think power steering would be a real plus on a tracked machine. There are a few companies offering aftermarket power steering upgrades for older machines. I've also thought of buying an older Jeep Wrangler and putting tracks on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That would be a kick on my Bronco II. Do they require front and/or rear lockers?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just for kicks, I priced a set of tracks for my Bronco II: an even $9k. I guess I'll have to pass this week.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As far as heavy steering, yes they are heavy but if you check out diff manufacturers track designs, some use a very rounded skidframe design where there is actually very little track contacting until you run into softer terrian, these types may be better for ATVs with no power steering & should be easier to steer (but still not what you call light.)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by senior
As far as heavy steering, yes they are heavy but if you check out diff manufacturers track designs, some use a very rounded skidframe design where there is actually very little track contacting until you run into softer terrian, these types may be better for ATVs with no power steering & should be easier to steer (but still not what you call light.)

Thanks
That is one thing that has me leaning toward the Camoplast Tatou 4s system, on the front tracks the outside edges are rounded up to help it steer a little easier.
But I am sure it will still steer pretty hard ?. I don't have PS

Kevin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't see how these things would be worth a crap, on anything but level ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I can't see how these things would be worth a crap, on anything but level ground.

You need to run one in the snow, there that good assuming you got enough motor. 1000 CC is the min as far as Im concerned.. Power stearing is another must IMO

As far as hills the one I have been on is awesome, better than tires in snow for sure. Doubt hills and dry ground would be anything but easy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are amazing. Trust me.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Check out some of the Video's on YouTube it may change your mind ?.
I was skeptical too until I watched a few. they look pretty good to me.

Kevin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're made with snowmobile tracks. Those things climb some hellacious hills. Also, watch snow groomers on ski hills. They look like they're climbing vertical. I've watched them go straight up hills where an atv can't go when it's dry. I can't see where these would be any different.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fish head
Snowmachine. grin

Cheaper than tracks.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That would be a kick on my Bronco II. Do they require front and/or rear lockers?

Not sure. But in northern MN, I've seen several on Suzuki Sidekicks and Geo Trackers.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They're made with snowmobile tracks. Those things climb some hellacious hills. Also, watch snow groomers on ski hills. They look like they're climbing vertical. I've watched them go straight up hills where an atv can't go when it's dry. I can't see where these would be any different.

I'm talking about side-hilling. I've spent a ton of time on a Trackster and Bomby sno-cat. Vertical is cake. Sidehill, the downhill track has to spin faster than the uphill. I can't see that happening with 4....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wageslave
Quite a few tracks on ATV's round here.
Makes the ATV a truly year round use machine.
I know people that have quit riding snowmachines here and just use their ATV or UTV with tracks.
Your problem will be your machine is pretty small motored to run tracks. Normally a 700cc minimum around here.
I have heard that the track makers have/will address this and will provide a smaller machine designed set soon. Tracks cut speed ALOT, maybe half. Tracks will cover you with snow/mud on an ATV. UTV owners can get a cab.
If you are using a set of tracks for fun backcountry riding, you need a friend to buy a set also. It's no fun always riding by yourself and it gets real cold out there if you break something 20 miles back and are by yourself.

The tracks were on a Kubota which has about zero off road capabilities stock and probably less with the tracks on.My kid has tracks on his Ranger and can almost go anywhere in snow.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had a Dealer tell me today that he felt the TJD Tracks were better than Camoplast Tatou 4s ?.
and he sells them both.
Any thoughts ?

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.