Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Things kids born in 2014 may never know:

1. The post office. Instead of email, someone used to come all the way to your house just to drop a bunch of ads into a box on the front porch. This service was a big money loser.

2. Parking meters. There was a time when you had to pay for parking by putting coins into a little steel box on a pole.

3. Bank tellers. People used to visit a bank branch to make deposits and withdrawals. What a lot of effort expended on something that can be done digitally in mere seconds with no travel involved.

4. Paper statements. Trees used to give their lives so that those who refused to go digital could get bills and other statements in the mail. (See No. 1.)

5. Paper checks. While it was illegal to make your own paper money, it was OK to write an amount of money on a piece of ordinary paper. Once you signed it, it somehow magically became the same as money.

6. Cable TV. Before universal Wi-Fi, there used to be a wire running all the way from downtown to bring entertainment into the house.

7. Toll booths. Before they started charging tolls by taking a picture of your license plate, you had to stop at a booth and either throw money in a basket or hand it to someone. They were kind of like phone booths on the turnpike.

8. Phone booths. Before everyone had wireless phones, there used to be little glass rooms on street corners where you�d go in and use coins to make a call.

9. Newspapers. In days before everyone had computers at home and in their pockets, printing presses made paper versions of websites. People would then drive around and throw them on your lawn.

10. Car keys. Cars had keys you�d insert into a keyhole in the doors and dashboard to unlock and start the car. Sometimes you�d lock them in, then try to retrieve them with a coat hanger. Other people would stop and try to help.

11. Bookstores. A retail store where you�d go to buy books.

12. Books. There used to be a physical version of e-books made out of paper.

13. DVDs and Video Tapes. Before movies were delivered online, they came on discs or video/audio tapes you�d stick into your computer or a player attached to your TV.

14. Incandescent lighting. This kind of light bulb didn�t last as long or cost as much as LED lighting, but it had a nice glow to it.

15. Fax machines. These devices transmitted a piece of paper to another fax machine anywhere in the world. It worked over phone lines.

16. Phone lines. Before wireless, calls were carried on wires. Like power wires, they were strung everywhere and stopped working during snow and ice storms.

17. Non-digital picture frames. There was a time when a picture frame could only display one picture at a time, so you needed a frame for every picture. Some were better looking than the picture they contained.

18. Cursive handwriting. You�d pick up a pen or pencil and actually write things by hand. Not only that, but the letters of each word were all connected in such a way that it was often impossible to decipher.

19. Camcorders. Before HD video cameras became standard in phones, you had to buy a separate device if you wanted video selfies.

20. Blind dates. In the days before dating websites, people were forced to meet one another any way they could, including being introduced to friends of friends. It was awkward, because there was no way to IM, text, exchange pics or otherwise communicate before actually meeting. The people you met this way usually weren�t as good looking as you.

21. Talking to one person at a time. Before pocket computers, you weren�t required to stay in constant communication via text. Nor was it customary to let everyone you�d ever met know where you were and what you were doing via Facebook. As a result, you�d often find yourself forced to communicate solely with the people in front of you.

22. Driving a car. Before self-driving cars, you had to do it all: gas, brakes, mirrors, turn signals, talk on the phone, text, put on makeup (or shave)and eat, all at the same time.

23. Setting a thermostat. Before the internet and Wi-Fi you had to manually set the temperature in your house.

24. Forgetting someone�s name. Before Google came along, we had to recognize faces all by ourselves, and remember their personal information.

25. Buying music. With Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, iTunes Radio, etc., we have unlimited music libraries that we pay for by the month. Before that, we bought our music one song or album at a time and built collections.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Imagine what that list was in 1914 or 1814.

Things change

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Books will not disappear in the foreseeable future.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I get the point but nearly every one of those is bullschit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll also be able to tell them you're older than the internet and that will blow their mind.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Imagine what that list was in 1914 or 1814.

Things change
chaperones

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Small Pox.
Big CRT styple TV's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shopping malls

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parking meters. There was a time when you had to pay for parking by putting coins into a little steel box on a pole.

Odd's are downtown Boise will still have them.

C
C
We're well aware of how life worked thousands of years ago. I don't think it will be much of a challenge for the future generation to know about things that were still taking place after their birth.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
26. Politicians who didn't lie.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Parking meters. There was a time when you had to pay for parking by putting coins into a little steel box on a pole.

Odd's are downtown Boise will still have them.
Some parking meters take debit cards. Will bitcoins be next?

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My father was born in 1912, in rural south Texas. When he was a boy, people still rode horses and packed six guns. Cars were an oddity.
My son is 12, and can't imagine it when I tell him about the olden days when there were no cell phones and no internet.
What will his sons be amazed at ?

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My dad was born in '14 and lived 92 years, almost the whole 20th century. That century saw some of the biggest changes in technology that's ever happened. They saw the 1st airplanes and cars develop into commercial jets and our modern transportation system. They saw men go from totally grounded to men on the moon. They saw the real development of household electricity in every home. They saw the incredible development of medicine from relatively nothing to what we had until the coming of Obamacare. Radios, TVs, computers, all came between WWI and when that generation died off. Not to mention weaponry.

Of course we're still advancing in technology today, but much of it isn't totally new, its refinement of what came during the 1900's.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Books will not disappear in the foreseeable future.
I think they will. Well, they'll still be around because there are already so many of them out there, but few if any will be interested in buying them, apart from collectors items. Books for reading will almost virtually all be purchased in e or audio form, and newly manufactured physical books will soon be very hard to find, and very expensive when you can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell, READING will disappear. I don't mean understanding words on a page(screen) but serious reading. Already, books and magazines are disappearing because people are only interested in videos - no matter how inane.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (1minute, 16penny, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,367
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.