Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone?
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just received this pack. I have no experience with it yet. If you pack a tripod and spotter you'll like the big side pockets. Easy access and keeps the dust off. I did load it up and put on my back. Carried and distrubted the weight nicely. It's definitely the nicest pack I have owned, but I haven't tried any other packs in its price range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gledeasy... This pack was a consideration for a 7 day backpack hunt, do you think it would handle it or should i look for something else?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by arffdog875
Gledeasy... This pack was a consideration for a 7 day backpack hunt, do you think it would handle it or should i look for something else?

Not having packed up for a 7 day trip with it, I may not be the best to answer. I do think it would handle the weight well though. The frame has a loading shelf and room for adjusting the straps to fit your body. Looks like they also have an accessory pod if you need the extra space.

Is there better options for an extended hunt, that I couldn't answer as I haven't had my hands on a lot of the other packs.

I felt like this was a good review of the pack, which may help you out.
https://vimeo.com/67190099

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your review!

IC B2

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
damn nice

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one with the expansion pod. It is by far the best pack I have used. I went through 2 different cabelas packs myself and a few borrowed eberlestock packs borrowed from friends. I really like how the frame will flex with you, it is an extremely comfortable pack. I have not used it on any extended hunts yet though, but I have no doubt it would work flawlessly.

My boss has a Barneys and they are super nice, but not worth the extra money IMO.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only problem I can see is the weight of the pack. Over 7 pounds empty. I like the idea of the shelf the pack rests on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barneys packs are over 8lbs. There are only a few out there that are lighter, most decent packs are right around the 7lb mark for around 4300ci, the outdoorsmans comes in that range at 4600ci. My buddy that has the eberlestock tried my outdoorsmans and he is waiting for his to finally give up the ghost so he can switch over. Outdoorsmans finally came out with their long range hunting packs too, so if you think you need more room that might work better.

I got a smoking deal on mine. Went out for a drink here in town with the woman one night and in walks this guy. I asked him about the pack since I knew he used them a lot and he sold me on it. I got mine in the mail about a month later, complete with bird feathers all throughout it. Haha, I am not complaining though!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[bleep], the man himself.......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Went out for a drink here in town with the woman one night and in walks this guy. I asked him about the pack since I knew he used them a lot and he sold me on it.

Did you ask him about the fish logo on his shirt?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha, that is me! That is the company I work for.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A friend of mine has one and he really likes it. Did not work for me when I tried his on- when everything was adjusted properly to me for packing any weight in it the top cross bar would be right in my way when looking up hill. And would hit my head with not even a whole lot of head tilt. Would have drove me nuts if it was mine. With not much weight and lowered down on shoulders in most day hunt modes would not be an issue.

Regarding weight of the pack- my friends weighed just over 9 lbs. on my very accurate scale. It was the Max 1 version ( not the solid cordura one) - don't know if that made a difference. The bag itself empty was about 4.5 lbs. I was a bit surprised at the weight of the pack, as I have them and had used in the past Wilderness Pack Specialties packs ( the bag maker for the Outdoorsman packs). My much older Bighorn pack bag weighs 2 lbs empty for 2800 ci.

One thing I can vouch for, regardless of the frame- Ken at WPS makes very stout bags that will last and last.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've wanted to try this pack out myself but just don't need it when I've been happy using my MRanch for a few years.

Steven Rinella is a no frills guy. If he says the pack works it isn't about sponsorship.

He has 3 of my knives and uses the chefs knife I made for him on his cooking specials. I make no frills knives so maybe that's why he felt the need to rock one in his house. I'm humbled he has my work as I'm a huge fan!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand what you mean blgoode. He told me that if he ever found another pack that would work better he would switch in an instant. He was actually really easy to talk to and he and his film crew loved my collection of pictures. They aren't very good at darts either. smile The bag on the outdoorsmans is just about bulletproof. I am extremely hard on gear and my cabelas packs were both thrashed halfway through their first hunt. My optics pack still looks as good as the day I pulled it out of the box and that has to count for something. Llama2 is right, the bag is beyond durable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Crew Cab but man I'd like to try the outdoorsman. Post up some user pics and review when you get more time under it.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Check out his podcasts with Joe Rogan, pretty good stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will definitely do that blgoode, I have only used it to haul a deer down from maybe 2500ft and it was a breeze. I hope to draw some tags this year so I can really put it to the test.

16bore I gave him chit for having Rogan on his show but he defended him. Steve said he was as down an earth guy as you will ever meet, cracking jokes and just an all around good guy. Kind of surprised me because all I have ever seen of him is he is sweating profusely and trying to sound intelligent while announcing ufc fights. Steve hunted with him though and that can bring out something else in people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rogans podcast is my most listened. Very multi layered guy. Not a one trick pony at all.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.