130 accubond

GB1

P
Pstores Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hydraulic shock is created by finding a bullet match for the game that expends most of its energy inside the game. While retaining as much original weight. With less pass through shots. This type of bullets would be bad to shot a deer in the ass with. Although it will kill it no problem. It will make a complete mess out if the guts. And not reach the vitals. More I understand about hydraulic shock on game in real life hunting the more I like bullets that lend a hand that way.

P
Pstores Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Glad to see more ttsx shooters say they work. Accubaond was one I was going to try also. From recovered bullets I have seen very nice expansion every time. I saw one Barnes 160 7mm recovered bullet...... Held up just as they say, picture perfect. I like the idea, but smaller wound channel although very tore up. And usually a smaller exit hole. I hunt in a mix of swamp and high ground in Northern Wi. Thick and dense cover. Haven't had to track a deer in many years and don't want to start again. I track deer for people a lot. And usually because they are using a bullet that has a very high SD. Not matching the game to the bullet and getting a pass through shot with little expansion. Now if they hit bone with that bullet then it is massive damage taking out a lot of meat.... .260 and 7mm-08 are great little whitetail guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worry less about hydrostatic shock (though the direct quote on the matter that you used comes from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock Might want to cite your sources) and more about putting a bullet in the vital organs, preferably lungs or heart. There isn't a bullet made for the .260 Rem. that I wouldn't trust to put a deer on the ground within seconds IF shot in the heart or lungs - bullet placement BEHIND the shoulder - not through it.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
100 ttsx, 120 BT, 130 AB,... Find the best for your rig and put them in the right spot.

Plus1. The rest is BS.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been shooting one and only one bullet out of my 260 Remington model 7 since it was introduced.

The 129gr Hornady SP has NEVER failed me. From 25' to over 250yds, it has killed every deer hit, broken any bone encountered, and groups under .75". Even my stubby 18.5" barrel manages to push them over 2600fps and 2800fps with a 22" barrel would seem the norm.

I can think of no better bullet for the 260 on game up to 400lbs and it doesn't require a second job to buy them.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 01/02/14.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dmsbandit - you and I have had the same experience with that bullet. The first year I used 120 BTs - lots of meat damage, even more than anticipated. Second year I used 130 ABs - less meat damage, but still more than anticipated. Third year I used 140 gr. Partitions - not as accurate as I wanted, obviously good terminal performance. Fourth year I used the 129 gr Hornady SP and haven't thought about anything else since. 2850 fps from my 22" barrel Ruger, 2550 from 17" barrel Encore. Shoots cloverleafs from both guns with 44 gr. IMR 4350, has penetrated to beat hell. I used it on a whitetail this year, quartering away, dropped in his tracks. Hit him right on the ball joint in the shoulder, thought it blew up. Until I found the bullet under the skin just below the skull. Went through the ball joint, into the spinal column and destroyed 6" of the neck bone. Still weighed 90 gr. when it was all over. I can't ask for anything more than that, and the meat damage is minimal. Not quite as little as cast boolits from a handgun, but we can't have everything, can we?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken Waters, who knows more about guns and cartridges than most of us can ever hope to, always said that the 129 grain hornady seemed like the perfect bullet for the 6.5mm guns.

Bone breaking, deep driving power of the 140s and the speed of the 120s were the reasons for his praise of that bullet weight. So far, I've yet to prove him wrong.

The deer in my avatar was shot at 185yds with my 260 and the 129gr hornady. Broke the nearside shoulder knuckle, destroyed the lungs, and was found in the opposite leg after breaking that bone too. Dropped on the spot.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 01/02/14.

P
Pstores Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
He wanted a definition and I gave him one. I think you missed the part I have shot 15 deer with the .260, and all but one was DRT. The one went on a 25 yard death run and fell over dead. Much of this is do to the Hydraulic Shock the Federal fusion creates. I have waited for shots at almost every angle after the first deer I shot. Of course I did my part as in putting the bullet where if has to go. That is part of the equation. As I stated before I have hunted almost 40 years with many different calibers.... The Federal Fusion in a .260 does a great job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew the supposed definition.

I also know what kills critters.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

P
Pstores Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The term hydrostatic shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact, through a hydraulic effect in liquid-filled tissues.[1][2] There is scientific evidence that hydrostatic shock can produce remote neural damage and produce incapacitation more quickly than blood loss effects.[3] The debate between proponents of bullets that are "light and fast" versus bullets that are "slow and heavy" often refers to this phenomenon.

Human autopsy results have demonstrated brain hemorrhaging from fatal hits to the chest, including cases with handgun bullets.[4] Thirty-three cases of fatal penetrating chest wounds by a single bullet were selected from a much larger set by excluding all other traumatic factors, including past history.

In such meticulously selected cases brain tissue was examined histologically; samples were taken from brain hemispheres, basal ganglia, the pons, the oblongate and from the cerebellum. Cufflike pattern haemorrhages around small brain vessels were found in all specimens. These haemorrhages are caused by sudden changes of the intravascular blood pressure as a result of a compression of intrathoracic great vessels by a shock wave caused by a penetrating bullet.

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Hydrostatic_shock.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just link the Wikipedia article..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I saw a mule deer buck between Deadman's Coulee and the Dearborn Bridge this fall that was hit by a cattle hauler doing about 80, give or take- Would that be an example of hydrostatic shock? Last week the road was still bloody

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd guess that cattle hauler was direct drive vehicle. My Deere has Hydrostatic drive but I think it goes 15 mph tops, not enough speed to shock anything, unless the blades are turning. But the mower deck is powered by a belt so that probably doesn't count.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
I saw a mule deer buck between Deadman's Coulee and the Dearborn Bridge this fall that was hit by a cattle hauler doing about 80, give or take- Would that be an example of hydrostatic shock? Last week the road was still bloody

Waaaaaay over penetration?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot a few whitetails with the 260 and after burning a lot of power and poking holes in a lot of paper, I've come to like the balance of accuracy, penetration, and velocity potential offered by the 100 grain Partition at 3,150 to 3,200 fps.

I don't shoot much CF factory ammo, so I'm not current on who makes what, but I have long felt that Remington handicapped the 260 coming out of the gate by not offering three "standard" factory loads with 100, 120, and 140 grain bullets. The only "standard" factory load that I recall having been offered is the 140 grain PCL, all others being more expensive "premium" loads. I have always wondered why Remington would load 100 and 120 grain PCLs in the 6.5 Rem Mag and not offer those bullet options for the 260.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've shot a few whitetails with the 260 and after burning a lot of power and poking holes in a lot of paper, I've come to like the balance of accuracy, penetration, and velocity potential offered by the 100 grain Partition at 3,150 to 3,200 fps.

I don't shoot much CF factory ammo, so I'm not current on who makes what, but I have long felt that Remington handicapped the 260 coming out of the gate by not offering three "standard" factory loads with 100, 120, and 140 grain bullets. The only "standard" factory load that I recall having been offered is the 140 grain PCL, all others being more expensive "premium" loads. I have always wondered why Remington would load 100 and 120 grain PCLs in the 6.5 Rem Mag and not offer those bullet options for the 260.

Jeff

Because Remington hasn't been run by gun people in many decades. The last good gun they developed was from the 60's, and they've even managed to screw that up over the last ten years.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been using the 120grTTSX but will be giving the 100grTTSX a shake out as soon as the weather cooperates.

hangunnr

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pstores
I am really looking forward in shooting the newer Barnes 127 gr LRX ..... Hoping it works....

Pstores,

I like to have 1 reload for each rifle. That way they all stay sighted-in for that 1 load and all I have to do is pick the rifle that best fits my hunting plans. That being said:

I can tell your hearts set on trying the 127 Barnes - So go for it. Some rifles like the Barnes solid copper bullets and some don't. So if you don't find the accuracy you want with the Barnes bullets - I'd try those 129 Hornady ILs next. It just don't take a premium bullet to kill deer! That IL will do just fine.

Ray
P
Pstores Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks Ray for the response. I am looking at the Barnes only because they shot so well in many rifles. With that said, I do have a varity pack a very nice gentlemen sent me I will try. I was just look for practical experience. Looks to me nolser and hornady will be a good try. Thanks again do appreciate the quality response.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (AceBall, 1OntarioJim, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,922
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.