#8420347 01/02/14
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Killed with my savage 220f 20 gauge slug gun. just over 100 yards. killed next to Percy Priest.

Last edited by headhunter130; 01/02/14.

NRA Benefactor life member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, the elusive Negro coyote. Where were you trespassing at when you killed the Negro? That being said, NGAF Sam. You will never admit to it but you probably killed it over in Belle Meade

"If you have to ask you can't afford it" ETN10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
chupacabra

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen a coyote with a white patch on its chest. Maybe a little dog mixed in?

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All Eastern coyotes have some dog mixed in somewhere along the line.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was turkey hunting in the spring a couple years back and I called a calico phase coyote in. Seriously, He looked like a frigin calico cat. Peppered him full of 3" 20 gauge #5 shot but I never found him. I have also seen a couple blonde phase coyotes but always when I don't have a rifle and a friend of mine shot a Red phase coyote a couple years ago in deer season.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well done. Nice coyote.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

Wrong, genetic studies have proven the eastern coyote, particularly the coyote in the northeast has WOLF DNA. That's why they are often shot weighing well over 50pounds and quite a few approaching 80lb.

Nice animal, but do you know for a fact it's a coyote? Could it be a juvenile Wolf from Michigan? They travel and migrate quite a ways.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

genetic studies have proven the eastern coyote, particularly the coyote in the northeast has WOLF DNA. That's why they are often shot weighing well over 50pounds and quite a few approaching 80lb.

Not the study I was looking for, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/...eastern_wolves_are_hybrids_with_coyotes/

Prior to this I recall reading that eastern yotes were Canadian wolf/western yote hybrids.

Regardless, that black yote is nice and it sure does have a large head on it.

Saw a blond phase yote in the abck of a pickup last year in western NJ. Guy took it during opening day deer season. Not huge, 30lbs give or take, but terrific coat.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another interesting article.

http://retrieverman.net/2011/05/21/the-creature-formerly-known-as-the-red-wolf/

Has a neat graphic halfway down.

Has this sealed the fate of the Redwolf (ahem-coyote) in NC? Where's that "reintroduction effort" stand?

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/03/14.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was a very interesting article! Apparently the eastern coyote is a mutt of the first order.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've only ever seen one black coyote while mule deer hunting a few years back. It was completely jet black, prettiest coyote I ever saw.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TxDeerHunter
I've only ever seen one black coyote while mule deer hunting a few years back. It was completely jet black, prettiest coyote I ever saw.

This post needed to end .....So I shot it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Never seen a coyote with a white patch on its chest. Maybe a little dog mixed in?

Could be, however the DNR at a local center identified this one as a coyote.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fred!...You shot my dog!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

Wrong, genetic studies have proven the eastern coyote, particularly the coyote in the northeast has WOLF DNA. That's why they are often shot weighing well over 50pounds and quite a few approaching 80lb.

Nice animal, but do you know for a fact it's a coyote? Could it be a juvenile Wolf from Michigan? They travel and migrate quite a ways.

way back when coyotes were first moving into TN, I trapped quite a few coyotes for a Memphis State study. While there was indeed wolf DNA mixed in, there was also quite a bit of dog. Studies have shown that coyotes, when first moving into a new area, will readidly breed with dogs but as the coyote population becomes more established, they will kill and eat the same dog.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
caught them short, tall, black, curly tailed, one ear looked cropped and even caught one with a cattle ear tag attached.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The fur of the coyote in Virginia can vary from blond, light reddish-brown or tan, grayish black, or black with a small white blaze in the center of the chest." - THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF GAME AND INLAND FISHERIES

I ran into one while bowhunting before I knew the black fur/white blaze existed. It threw me off and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. When I was later informed this was indeed a coyote, I then thought it would have made a great looking full mount. Haven't run into a black coyote since.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have seen a couple of black ones where I hunt near Montgomery, Al. Both had white chest blazes. I thought the first one was somebody's dog. Next time I saw it, it was leading four other coyotes, all tan/grey. The second one I saw was a young one running with two regular adults. I got a real good look at the blazes on both these animals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen one black coyote. A friend of mine killed a solid black bobcat in Fl. Only one I've ever seen.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.