Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
I saw a mule deer buck between Deadman's Coulee and the Dearborn Bridge this fall that was hit by a cattle hauler doing about 80, give or take- Would that be an example of hydrostatic shock? Last week the road was still bloody

Yeah, that happens when you hit stuff with those match bullets.

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My son has a model 7 .260 that he got a deal on because it patterns with all the factory ammo instead of groups. Tried about everything but screwing the barrel off and replacing it. The. He came over with a box of 95 gr hornady bullets and the first load we tried shot a 3 shot group of .77 He's killed a half dozen deer and several hogs with it and nothing has ever taken a step after it hits the neck

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
From my .260s, I've killed stuff with 129gr Hornady Interlocks, 130gr Accubonds, 120gr Ballistic Tips, and 130gr VLDs. FWIW, stuff seems to make fewer tracks with the VLDs, but all of the above has worked very well for me.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pstores for what you looking for I would go with the 120 Nosler ballistic tip at below a max charge. Great bullet with stellar reviews. I have used them and 140 grain Sierras with great results. In a 140, ran modestly I figured to get all the penetration I needed in a 'softer', fast opening bullet and even through fair sized hogs this has been the case 100% of the time. Very fast death.

A 120 nbt wound up far side of my biggest buck to date but drt remarkable. I begin to think there may be something to this idea of having energy dumped into an animal. I think the enregy knocked it over when it lodged in the far ribs. Hate it blown through IU think results would still be a dead deer but after a run of unknown distance. I don't see how a Barnes would improve what I am seeing with these current bullets. The 260 , gives me faster drops on deer than my 6mm or 270 in any bullet combo to date. I am thinking of changing to similar thought processes in my other two rounds.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Pstores for what you looking for I would go with the 120 Nosler ballistic tip at below a max charge. Great bullet with stellar reviews. I have used them and 140 grain Sierras with great results. In a 140, ran modestly I figured to get all the penetration I needed in a 'softer', fast opening bullet and even through fair sized hogs this has been the case 100% of the time. Very fast death.

A 120 nbt wound up far side of my biggest buck to date but drt remarkable. I begin to think there may be something to this idea of having energy dumped into an animal. I think the enregy knocked it over when it lodged in the far ribs. Hate it blown through IU think results would still be a dead deer but after a run of unknown distance. I don't see how a Barnes would improve what I am seeing with these current bullets. The 260 , gives me faster drops on deer than my 6mm or 270 in any bullet combo to date. I am thinking of changing to similar thought processes in my other two rounds.

The physics doesn't work that way.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's not what Wikipedia says...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good luck with the 100g Partition, 120g Pro Hunter, and 120g Nosler BT. The 129g IL should be great but doesn't have a good BC and velocity not too high so maybe not ideal for a long shot.

Do you shoot through the shoulder or behind the shoulder? Seems this is key for selecting the best bullet for your style. If through the shoulder, Barnes are a good option to minimize meat damage but they aren't my first choice for double lung shots behind the shoulder. For double lung shots, the SST, Ballistic Tip, and traditional cup&core bullets work well. Ballistic Tips in general have less blow-up than they used to. 100g Partition does both fairly well......has a front end to do a bit of damage on a double lung shot but since its light for caliber, not so much to destroy too much meat (depending on velocity) if you are presented with that shot and can't wait on a better one.

HogWild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot 3 deer this year with my Ruger Skeleton stock with 22" ss barrel .260 using the 120gr nosler ballistic tips.

The first one was at 60yds looking at me and I hit her in the center of the chest while she was looking at me, she ran 20yds and fell dead. After field dressing her not sure how she ran that far, was hard to tell what pieces belonged to heart, liver, and lungs was all jello.

The second one was at 150 yards in a pretty good run as I had pointed her out to my father-in-law when she was still, then again when she was walking, and when she started trotting I pulled my gun up and right before she went in the woods sent one to her. I had a through and throught at center of the shoulder and she flopped there.

Third one was a big buck at 425yds according to leica. I hit him about 2-3 inches behind his heart but devastated the lungs and liver. Watched him take about 10 steps, back legs started shaking and the rest was a long walk to him.

The 120gr nosler ballistic tips I shot was all factory and was very impressed, I now have a sleeve of 129gr SST to get a load worked up before October

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the 129 gr. IL I'm hitting my 8" disk out to 500 yds - 2850 fps and the .445 BC doesn't seem to hamper it any. For comparison, the 129 gr. SST is .485 BC. I can hear it ding when it connects, but I don't think any hydrostatic shock is happening, plus it just swings back and forth and doesn't fall over - lack of energy do you suppose? What am I doing wrong? At 310 yds the same load killed a nice mulie doe last year, but she went 18 yds. Trying to cut that down to about 1.875 yds for next year.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And my gun likes 120 gr. BTs as well, but I get less meat damage and more penetration with the 129 gr. In fact, it may OVER penetrate, limiting the hydrostatic shock factor.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by selmer
With the 129 gr. IL I'm hitting my 8" disk out to 500 yds - 2850 fps and the .445 BC doesn't seem to hamper it any. For comparison, the 129 gr. SST is .485 BC. I can hear it ding when it connects, but I don't think any hydrostatic shock is happening, plus it just swings back and forth and doesn't fall over - lack of energy do you suppose? What am I doing wrong? At 310 yds the same load killed a nice mulie doe last year, but she went 18 yds. Trying to cut that down to about 1.875 yds for next year.

Learn to shoot real fast and hit the steel twice rapidly and it should fall over dead. That will transfer over to hunting and then you can shoot your critters twice and they will die twice as fast.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, if I get a left-hand Ruger M77 in .260 Rem., duct tape the two together (though Gorilla Tape may provide a stiffer bond) and custom make an off-set scope mount which tracks for both barrels so that I can pull this double rifle against my chest and fire both at once, I might knock the steel plate stand over? And kill deer twice as fast? SIGN ME UP! smile (As long as the LH rifle also likes the 44 gr. of IMR 4350 behind the 129 gr. IL) I can't wait to try this for next deer season.

Selmer

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My setup allows both guns to be slightly canted while each rifle is rested on right and left shoulder. The cant allows the use of both eyes open since I have 2 scoped rifles. I also have a bipod on each rifle, that's very important, and then I squeeze both triggers thus creating the double shot and instant death.

Don't use tape, it's too weak. I used a ratchet strap on mine and it looks awesome. Just run it under the see-thru rings.....

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just snorted coffee up my nose. You win! Well played sir, well played.

Selmer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
That's not what Wikipedia says...

Loco- exact opposite, if that Wikipedia comment was directed at me. I always thought hydrostatic shock a bad term and bought into the two holes were better logic because it was consensus from this sight. I adhered to that notion and got used to 70 yard runs as a norm. Am ok with that but my limited sampling suggests dropped animals and DRT results when the bullet stays inside the critter and perhaps can be felt on the far side. I have made the mistake of trying to 'correct' things that were working beautifully in the past because of buying into well explained theories here before but as I get older find myself being ok with trusting my own eyes more and more. If results change I will observe and adjust accordingly.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a wild guess and say the Rancho Loco was agreeing with you, but sarcastically taking a shot a Pstores and his use of wikipedia definition of hydrostatic shot.

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pstores
That was what the guy at Barnes said it was the length.... Glad to hear some have had luck with the ttx 120. Heard so many mixed things about them. I do know from seeing a that went from ass to shoulder in a 7 foot bear from a 7mm they perform as stated. Just a couple people said they don't appear to have the hydronic shock like NBT or Fusion would have... Maybe I'll have to experiment a little.

I took a cow elk this year at 220 yards with a Barnes 120 grain TTSX bullet. IT hit her in the chest looking at me, and she dropped immediately.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run the 130 AB in my 260 at about 2900 fps. It worked extremely well on a whitetail I shot with it a few years back. Shoots 1/2 moa from my Christiansen carbon tube.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Selmer- yeah I sort of thought that was the case. Thanks for chiming in on it. Rancho is ok in my book. Happy New Year to you both.

. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has a dry sense of humor from what I can pick up. I like it.

Selmer

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.