Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm aware that Great Horns will take near anything, but have never seen one working a duck before. In the lower right hand corner one can see the white/black/blue/black/white speculum of a mallard.

Unfortunately, this was the best image, as Cookie was shooting before I could get the rig stopped. The bird left before we could back up and get a better/closer angle. We could tell he was packing something of substance as he left, but couldn't ID it until things were downloaded at home. Other than this, it was a pretty sparse day afield.

[Linked Image]

One can hit the "Reply" button to get a larger 1024 x ??? view and then back out.

1Minute
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wicked cool photo.

I witnessed a bald eagle taking out a Canada goose on the wing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Steely: That is neat indeed. Those boys accompany the waterfowl as they come north each spring, and we have about a month with an abundance of eagles. We see them chowing down on Ross/Snow geese and Pintails, but we've yet to witness one getting hammered in the air.

It could be that a take down isn't needed. With thousands of snows around, someone's time is up about every 10 minutes or so, and one will see sick or injured birds sitting in a field after a flock pulls out.

Have a good one and stay on top of those roudy kids,

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonderful and unusual photo, thanks for putting it up. You didn't need the better/closer angle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great photo! What camera/ lens were you using?

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
mighy fine.
One of the things I miss about our farm in east Texas it the hoot-owls. Our place was a couple miles off nearest road and was surrounded by vacant acreage/pine timberland. We had spotlights hung high on telephone poles and trees around the house, barn and lake. Owls would come near at night and serenade one. Went to sleep many a night when I was young listening to them hoot.

Thanks for the photo.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cookie has a Canon EOS 50D and a Canon 100-400 zoom. I'm sure she had it wide open for the owl. She does most of the stalking/shooting, and I get to drive the truck.

I scored a 70D for Christmas, but have no real lens power yet. Might try to find a used 500 mm that we can share next Christmas.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is a lake SE of Las Vegas NM in a wildlife refuge and during the winter ducks and geese keep an area of open water. The eagles just sit on the ice watching and when some poor laggard is behind the flock on take-off, he becomes a meal.
I was in one of the standing cornfields taking shots of the ducks as the passed over. A hawk came out of nowhere and attempted to get a duck. Here it was right over my head and i was so transfixed I never considered clicking the shutter. Could have captured the near miss by getting a shot of the feathers drifting down.

Oh well that moment is still in my head 35 years later. N

NOT all pictures are held on film

For the noobies make that SD card

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 12 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.