Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
Our nephew is getting married Saturday. We became his God-parents 26 years ago even though we weren't part of that denomination. Without putting all the details in here; my wife's sister(our nephew's mom) has headed up a truly dysfunctional little group. She is a non-practicing RC and the father is atheist. They are separated but live right next to each other and do their "own thing". Anyway our nephew gets his girlfriend pregnant and at first they were not even going to get married. But we believe that family opinion( the rest of the family that is) may have changed that. Now they are getting married this Saturday in a church that ordains women, gays and lesbians, and marries G&L couples. They are proud of their LGBT openness. and have rainbow flags out in front of their church. My wife and will not go to the ceremony because of where it is being held. We have already had discussions with the mother who thinks it's all perfectly okay and that it's not really a sin.
WOW! Twenty years ago or so this type of thing would not even had been an issue. Some say we should go but we won't cave in. Why should we bend our convictions. And to top it off they are getting remarried in a church again in November; this time a little more formal. I have never heard of this type of stuff before!!!

Guess I am just an old curmudgeon!!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty hard to stomach, no?

1Co 5:11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

So, does this verse apply?
anyone who calls himself a brother...its supposedly a Christian church

sexually immoral...that pretty well describes homosexuality

do not even eat...in that day, you always shared a meal with someone. It was almost the equivalent to shaking hands today.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
I checked out the website for the church and it states that while they agree with the founder's(John Wesley) doctrine they disagree on matters dealing with sexual orientation. In other words they are PC and justify, approve, and glorify what God calls an abomination. When my wife's sister heard that she had a fit and tried to justify her stance.

Come what may; we will not attend. Wifey's sister downstate agrees with us.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would this be a "Free"Methodist by chance? Sounds alot like one a friend of mine attends with these same ultra liberal views.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dealing with family is always tough, and the scars that may be caused will last a long time. Don't ask me how I know. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
United Methodist. John Wesley is turning in his grave.

We have been up against this sort of thing with my wife's family for years. We are born again(though not perfect) and they equate that with nuts. For the most part they are blind.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd forego the ceremony, but would probably make the reception.

And under the circumstances, a situational appropriate gift, like Babies'R'us gift certificate would be in order.

They're already starting off on a difficult road.

Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
Shootist,

We have the scars also. My SIL has a "where's mine attitude" and she is out for what she can get. I think it has rubbed off on the kids. The other sister thinks that's the reason for two weddings...double-dipping. The baby will be born next month and really needs our prayers.

What has taken place in our land and culture over the last three or four decades brings tears to my eyes.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
RWE,

There is no reception at this wedding. It's just family. (most are not going) The traditional wedding is in November. Two church weddings?????

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Evangelical Lutherans also approve of homosex and allow homosexual ministers, as do several other main line denominations.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Qtip
United Methodist. John Wesley is turning in his grave.

No doubt.. frown

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Qtip
RWE,

There is no reception at this wedding. It's just family. (most are not going) The traditional wedding is in November. Two church weddings?????

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

So, this first wedding is just so the baby isn't born out of wedlock?

Should have just went down to the magistrate.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My inlaws left the United Meth for just that reason. My FIL had a personal goal of bringing the minister to salvation. He failed. They finally had to leave when their church voted to support another church that was trying to ordain a queer minister.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds like there was a marriage of sorts about 8 months ago . . . no church, no magistrate, just a "flesh joining flesh" thing. Sad, really. Will pray over the whole situation, Qtip --Tin Star.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tough call QT. I understand and support you decision not to go but staying away from family can be hard. Sounds like this new family need a lot of help and guidance from an aunt and uncle who have there heads on straight.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
Scott F,

Being away from family IS hard. But after all these years we are used to it. We usually never hear from them unless they want or need something. The God-son in question was always hanging out with our next-door neighbors that were into dope and caused my wife and I all kinds of problems over the years. We warned him about them but he would not listen; and he won't listen unless the Lord touches his heart. Mom and Dad have done a number on their kids. But I continue to pray. We took him to church years ago a couple of times and one time he "accepted" Christ and the pastor bought him a brand new Bible. And then poof, he was gone.
My wife's family thinks we wackos because of our faith. Most think the Bible was written by man and has many mistakes. My wife said " Written by man; but under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit". That went right over their heads.
The entire situation is very sad.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
We sort of have an idea of what Phil Robertson went through. Except he had family for support. We have dealt with type of thing for decades from her side.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My sister is about the same way. I understand the feeling.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We sort of have an idea of what Phil Robertson went through.

Same here.

Except he had family for support.

I didn't. One time my dad wanted me to come for a family gathering. I told him,
"If I wanted to be hassled I could go to a local church."

After several years my younger brother called because too many people in the church didn't believe the Bible they claimed. Now many years later my older bother has started to sound like my younger brother.

I wouldn't attend.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RWE
I'd forego the ceremony, but would probably make the reception.

And under the circumstances, a situational appropriate gift, like Babies'R'us gift certificate would be in order.

They're already starting off on a difficult road.

I think this is great advice.

Dan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,678
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.