Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

"Conservatives" today should be talking about the reduction of government and the removal of government in the personal life of a citizen. But instead they just talk about the [bleep] Bible...

Travis

Just so we are clear���I don't disagree with what you wrote regarding keeping gov out of people's personal lives���I was asking for your solution.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility��..and I don't think productive society should be paying for deadbeats��I just wonder how we fix it??

Cancer Sucks
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

"Conservatives" today should be talking about the reduction of government and the removal of government in the personal life of a citizen. But instead they just talk about the [bleep] Bible...

Travis

Just so we are clear���I don't disagree with what you wrote regarding keeping gov out of people's personal lives���I was asking for your solution.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility��..and I don't think productive society should be paying for deadbeats��I just wonder how we fix it??

WE don't. We take care of ourselves and our family, pretty simple really.

Once our house is in check, feel free to help your neighbor, or not, but it sure ain't the government's place.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Tough for mammals not to be mammals.

Isn't that what is suppose to differentiate man from animals�..that man chooses behavior rather than simply acting on instinct?

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Peter_R
In reality I find the question of genetic vs. behavioral rather simple to answer - there is no way I could CHOOSE to be with a dude.

How about we put you on a ship or in jail with nothing but men for 3 years and see what happens? I bet the odds are better than the population percentages would indicate.

I know, I'm being sarcastic there, but you can't discount it. You should hear the stories a prison guard friend tells!

Why don't you check out the link I posted and re-think your glib remark?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I thought it was our ability to make whiskey.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snotwad
"What do you understand the State to be?"

Fair question: To me the state is that organization that we freedom loving individuals set up to protect our "Creator" given rights from encroachment.
Who is this "we" you speak of?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Once our house is in check, feel free to help your neighbor, or not, but it sure ain't the government's place.

I agree, but, if we can't fix it, and by fix it, I mean stop supporting deadbeats, then we will simply keep paying for it.

I'm not looking for some "social solution", I'm looking for a way to change the current system of taking our money and using it to support scum��

Anything short of "pushing the reset button" and starting over, I don't see any way out��.do you??

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought it was our ability to make whiskey.

grin

Cancer Sucks
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by Peter_R
In reality I find the question of genetic vs. behavioral rather simple to answer - there is no way I could CHOOSE to be with a dude.

How about we put you on a ship or in jail with nothing but men for 3 years and see what happens? I bet the odds are better than the population percentages would indicate.

That is just plain ignorant. How many homosexuals do you propose to tell me were created in the United States Navy? I Spent a couple years on a ship and never even gave it a thought. And, yes we did have homosexuals on the ship, just like everywhere else I was stationed in that four years. During that time I know of not a single person who started out heterosexual and decided to be either bi-sexual or homosexual.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

I agree, but, if we can't fix it, and by fix it, I mean stop supporting deadbeats, then we will simply keep paying for it.

I'm not looking for some "social solution", I'm looking for a way to change the current system of taking our money and using it to support scum��

Anything short of "pushing the reset button" and starting over, I don't see any way out��.do you??

How do we keep paying for it? That's the point, get government out of it.

If both parents are deadbeats another family member steps forward, that is what family does. If there are no other family members maybe the church takes them. If that don't happen, maybe a neighbor.

If none of that happens, I guess the kid fades away.

Now you have Social Services etc, so the neighbor can't take the kid, it goes into some [bleep] government system.

How the hell was it done for 10,000 years before their was a government to take care of 'you'?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talk to a jailer some time, Miles. I would expect you squids to be of higher caliber than average. How long was your crew confined to ship at a stretch? Even if only a couple months, I'll bet the hookers had a windfall when the crew had shore leave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How do we keep paying for it? That's the point, get government out of it.

If both parents are deadbeats another family member steps forward, that is what family does. If there are no other family members maybe the church takes them. If that don't happen, maybe a neighbor.

If none of that happens, I guess the kid fades away.

Now you have Social Services etc, so the neighbor can't take the kid, it goes into some [bleep] government system.

How the hell was it done for 10,000 years before their was a government to take care of 'you'?

I agree��.now, how do we get the gov out of it???

There is no way we will ever vote our way out of this mess��..

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A headline just this past week provides a giant shot of irony. It seems that more and more heterosexual couples are choosing to simply live together rather than marry.

So I ask myself: If straight couples are finding advantage in not marrying, why do gay couples want the opposite?

And the answer I give myself is this: Legal divorce is painful, messy - and very expensive. Live-withs can simply pack up and leave with no penalty.

So I say to homosexual couples who demand to marry: You may get more than you bargain for, sweetie.

Rocky, I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to know a lot of law. Where I live, as I understand it, co-habitation for some specified period of time creates a common law situation which then attaches certain conditions to separation and maintenance. Again, AFAIK, there are many other jurisdictions where this is the case.

Factually, living together outside of marriage MAY make it easier to separate, providing neither of the partners makes a legal issue of it.

Jim

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 01/08/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

People responsible for people, what a concept.

That's the reason for family and church, not state.

Travis

Well, at least you capitalized Bible.

"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things that men of intemperate minds cannot be free, their passions forge their fetters."

Edmund Burke

In our Founders' correspondence with one another, Burke's writings were the 3rd most often cited, behind Blackstone's Commentaries on the Law, and....the Bible.

http://www.one-eternal-day.com/2012/01/of-intemperate-minds-cannot-be-free.html

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/08/14.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Talk to a jailer some time, Miles. I would expect you squids to be of higher caliber than average. How long was your crew confined to ship at a stretch? Even if only a couple months, I'll bet the hookers had a windfall when the crew had shore leave.

If you have even a shred of a position here, you should be able to find some statistics somewhere that bear it out. Over a lot of years literally millions of men have served on ships in the USN and USCG with their complements of Marines. the military misses nothing. Personally, I spent more than three months on a ship from before the NKs grabbed the Pueblo and through Tet.

Try looking into how many homos the USN creates on nuclear boats where confinement in close quarters for extended periods is the norm.

Go back and confine you commentary to somewhere that you have at least a tiny grasp of what you're talking about.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The exact same thing can be said of pedophiles. They don't remember ever saying to them selves that from now on they prefer children.

I think the Catholics have a pretty good handle on what you are asking about. (As do the Baptists, etc, but the Catholic link was what I could quickly find)

Read it if you really care to be informed. I don't think you will.
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=3112

Show me peer reviewed science to support you claim(s) and the cited claims in the link.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the baker who had to make a cake for the gay wedding had his individual rights strengthened?

So if we have a Jewish or Muslim baker and I want a pie crust based on lard (pork fat), do they have to make it?

What of the signs insisting that a business can refuse to serve anyone? Our own government imposes trade restrictions etc on countries all the time over what are simply philosophical differences.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/08/14.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I'll admit that I don't understand why gays want marriage rights, but since it does not harm the state or another person it is not my place to take their rights based my moral convictions. In return I expect the same respect for my personal choices, even if they disagree with them.

I don't know this for a fact but think many (some) gays want marriage in order to facilitate the adoption of children. For me personally, this is a concept I do not support. I have no idea whether any studies have ever been done to establish whether or not children are adversely affected by being adopted by homosexual or lesbian parents. I find it hard to believe that a child having parents of only one gender are not adversely affected by this. At the very least I'm sure they are the subject of discrimination by their classmates while at school. Children can be notoriously cruel and you can be sure they will make life a living hell for the children of such couples. Especially if they come from homes where the attitudes contained in some of the posts written here are freely spoken.

Just my view of things.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Real conservatives would simply want the government to have nothing to do with marriage at all. No licenses, no tax breaks, nothing.

Advocating the government only support "your" idea of marriage is not a conservative position. It is a position that wants the government to intervene so that other people can't do something you don't approve of.

There should be a VERY high bar to get over for that to happen.

Think Murder. Rape. etc...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 13,786 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,225
Posts18,543,917
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.