Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gut them where the lay or the closest spot that I have sufficient room to work.

NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've always gutted mine in the field.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hunt alone and everywhere I hunt is extremely rugged so it gets dressed where it draws its last breath. Dragging is hard enough dressedlet alone guts in.

S
S
What I do will depend on where I end up shooting the deer. I have several different places I go hunting, and each spot I do something a little bit different. When I go camping at the cabin I have a shed that I gut the deer and cut it up. I drag it back to the cabin and clean it there. When I am at home and out in the woods, I like to take the deer home. I try to get as little blood as possible on my truck. I also like to go on a camping hunt trip. When I do that I gut the deer in the woods and drag the rest back to butcher it.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i've always heard that it's better to get them field dressed asap to get the meat cool. this year i drug mine about 125 yds to a more conducive spot, field dressed, then back to the farm's milkhouse to get hosed out.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
In the field, but if it is going to be a drag through brush, dirt and such just gut up to the diaphragm to save from filling it with dirt and crap.
Speaking on this subject. Scent glands? Bleed it out best you can as soon as you get to it?

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually drive my truck as close to the deer as I can and clean it on the tailgate. Then drive it home and hang it. This years buck was gutted on a new clear cut about 50 yards from where he fell. I can't imagine me doing all of that bent over honestly.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's easier for me to field dress the deer on the tailgate. I only live 4 or 5 miles from where I hunt so I often do it at home. Less blood and guts to spread around on my equipment and truck interior too.

Dan

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Depends on the circumstances. If I am going to be in the woods for a while he gets gutted imediately. We have tons of coyotes so I've tried to get away from this some. The last few years we've brought the evening kills in right away whole, and gutted them hanging into a tub. It's easier on my knees n back, running water to clean up and we are not leaving the guts in the woods for the coyotes to keep patrolling.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have hunted for 47 years and have always gutted the deer where it fell. I also quarter my deer myself with the head up. I have had my deer process only 2 times in all those years and was disappointed each time. I like to do it myself.

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always within 10' of where they drop. I try to find a little high spot so I can roll the guts out when done.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We keep records of undressed weight as a part of our lease requirements. We bring them back to camp and hoist them up. Hunting anywhere else, I would clean where they drop.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to hunt in the more remote areas. Therefore I gut and usually bone them out right where they lay. Too hard to pack bones out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,307
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.