Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
When you go to the mountains, it is easy to see why prosperity is more difficult than in the flat lands.

Just as an example, think about 2 farmers, each with 1,000 acres. Just to emphasize the point, make that 1,000 acres tillable. One farmer lives on the prairie of Illinois. The other, in the mountains of KY. The IL farmer only has one field, it's 1,000 acres. The KY farmer has about 20 fields, the largest being about 100 acres. Who do you think can plow the most in a day? It isn't the hill farmer who has to run his tractor off to the next holler every time he gets 50 acres plowed or harvested.

Once the crop is harvested, think about getting it to market. On the one hand, you have bad roads and have to travel a long way for market. In IL, the farmer has flat, straight roads, close markets and easy access to the cheapest shipping in the World - the Mississippi River.

This sort of situation exists no matter what the product. I keep thinking the internet is going to allow for a dispersed workforce, and that has happened a little, but it is still harder/more expensive to run internet service out to those remote hollers than it is to run it to a condo community in the city. And it is still more expensive to get products into the mountains so people pay more for everything.

It's a harder life and it helps if you have money before you live there.

And I'm sure land prices reflect it....It's all relative.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by mack5511
Just more liberal drivel. Any rural area could be a White Ghetto anymore this applies to where I grew up in N MN as much as it does to KY.

Sometimes I think the whole country in rural areas are getting poorer every year. I can say northern Wis. is getting hit very hard. A county in northern Wis. lost 13% of it's population in 13 years. Even the taverns are closing up there, just to get bought up, open the tavern to have it close again. Logging is down, mining is down, tourism is down, deer hunting and fishing is down where I have land. A big mining co. proposed a mining pit and the liberals fought like hell against hundreds of 60,000 dollar a year jobs till the mining co. said to hell with Wis. We had a 32 ac. mine west of me . In 4 yrs they took 450,000 tons of iron ore, 180,000 tons copper, 3.3 million onces of silver , 334,000 ounces of gold and many rare stones. It was a Godsend. The liberals just can't stand hard working people and would rather have them on welfare.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/11/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sycamore I have read enough of your postings and posted articles to see what side of the coin you fall on. Trying to explain where the liberal bias and drivel is in that article would be like explaining advanced calculus to the family pet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hardway

And I'm sure land prices reflect it....It's all relative.

For a lot of the farmers, especially in the hills, land price is almost irrelevant since they inherited the land. And land isn't the only input in the equation. All the other inputs are more expensive, since nearly everything is hauled in by the most expensive form of transportation, trucks.

The fact that it's hard to make a living in the hills is as old as the hills themselves.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is coal country. When the democrap enviro-nazis took that away, they took away the livelihood of the folks who live there. It is really that simple.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The same in N MN. When you can't log or make a product from logging without the enviro-nazi's pissing and moaning areas dry up and die. Mining on the Iron Range is finally coming back but now the enviro-nazi's are all up in arms and trying to block it. NIMBY has killed more jobs in this country than just about anything I can think of.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Eastern Kentucky is complicated.

Yeah,...there's pockets of extreme poverty there, but there's also some of the nicest small/middle sized towns that you could want in Eastern Kentucky.

It's hard to lump it all into one category,..and you don't have to drive very far to change from one category to another.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pretty much sums up the southeast. The pundit that write this drivel are clueless. Nothing new under the sun.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I recently bought a little chip of land near Somerset, KY.

It's just down the road about 80 miles from here, but I never spent any time there until lately.

It's a surprisingly nice town of about 12,000 people.

Nice hotels, restaurants, houses,..everything is kept nice and tidy.

There's towns of its size all over the country that I wouldn't trade Somerset for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought this thread was going to be about Congress...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somerset is nice. You got a boat, Bristoe?

Mule
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No,..not any longer.

I kept one at Laurel Lake for a few years.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mack5511
... Trying to explain where the liberal bias and drivel is in that article would be like explaining advanced calculus to the family pet.
You're not up to it, then?

Sometimes uncomfortable news isn't wrong, it's just uncomfortable.

And sometimes reporters are uncomfortable when they are out of their element.

Don't be scared Mack, there is a wide world out there.

Sycamore

p/s do you only post articles you agree with? Are you only interested in articles you agree with?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
The comments on that page are better than the article itself.
I think this lady really gets to the pith of the matter - many modern urban folk are totally baseless and live their life as if their immediate satisfaction is the only thing that matters, will matter or has ever mattered.

MaryIngles

For me, the "old country" is West Virginia. I wasn't born there and
never lived there, but my father was, though he lived most of his life
as an Air Force brat away from it, and my paternal grandparents, both
born there, lived their working lives away, too, only going back after
they retired. Yet I own land there that I inherited, an old farm far up
in the mountains that's been in my family for generations, and I feel a
deep and abiding affection for the homeland of my people.
The happiest summer of my life as a child was spent on my grandparent's
farm, where I walked paths and drank from springs that generation
upon generation of my folk walked and drank from. I played with dogs that
had never known a leash, learned marksmanship by shooting the head off
Prince Albert with a .22, picked berries and was taught how to make
them into pies and cobblers, jams and preserves.
While the West Virginia side of my family has Scotch-Irish blood, it also has plenty of German Dunkard and Hessian, Dutch and French Huguenot blood as well, and maybe a little bit of Delaware Indian.
The implication of the article that all Appalachian peoples are Scotch-Irish feeds into the old canard that they are incestuous retards; I've had Jews--who as a people are so inbred they have genetic diseases--mock me as an inbred yokel when they learn my people come from West Virginia. It gets tiresome, especially when I am really the product of hybrid vigor.

I've sat in the parlors of great aunts while a coal fire sizzled in a pot-bellied stove and listened to them tell me in their soft drawl, putting "h"s and "r"s in odd places, who married who and from what county they came from for generations back, and heard references to incidents that occurred in the year of the bloody sevens (1777). I've been led to a spot where a giant American chestnut tree stood for hundreds of years, only dying of blight in the 1930s. That tree, so they told me, bore the marks of the bullet fired by a Shawnee Indian in the pay of the British that killed one of my direct ancestors during the Revolutionary War.

But I've been put down by sophisticated, worldy-wise urban people who have no clue where their people came from--they don't even really have "people" and don't understand the concept. For that matter, they don't even have a native land, a native soil fought for by their own blood that is theirs forever. In my mind, they are the true neo-peasants--landless, ancesterless, cultureless, helpless metrohumans--while I come from a long line of independent, arms-bearing freeholders.

I understand the prickly defensiveness of many commenters to this article: it seemsjust another hit piece on the dumb hillbilly corn pones. Why even the white trash Okies had enough sense to get out--and never mind that most of those Okies were originally part of the Appalachian diaspora.

People have been leaving Appalachia for generations. But of course there will always be some who don't emigrate. Does that mean they are worthless human debris?
There's an old American expression--"There are two kinds of Europeans: The smart ones, and those who stayed behind." It never fails to get a rise out of all that dumb, stay-behind Euro-trash. Is it true? If it's not, then why should we accept that the Appalachian people who "stayed behind" are losers and failures?
Yes, Appalachia has lots of problems. But so does rural California, where I live. We need infrastructure here--especially roads and bridges but also high-speed internet and air service--and jobs and good schools. Will we get them? I doubt it. The only things we produce that the wider nation has any use for are soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen. Lots of those.
Many of the local people are of old settler stock, their ancestors trekking the Oregon Trail or rounding the Horn in clipper ships in the 1840s and '50s. Ranches and farms typically have been in the same families for four or five generations, at least. Nobody wants to leave. Nobody wants to live in cities or suburbs. They hate the commercial pop culture that corrupts their children. They dislike the lifestyle attitudes of the NPR radio stations that blanket the airwaves (five FM and three AM stations where I live, all broadcasting the same thing). They have been exploited and abandoned by amoral timber and mining companies, and by turns pandered to and oppressed by federal, state and local governments.
Somebody ought to write about their fortitude and stoicism, their relentless "next year will be better" optimism, their abiding religious faith. But no one does. When someone does write about them, it is pretty much like this piece. Interview people in beer joints and welfare offices, find a stoner or two, hear tales of meth heads, find a back-to-the land old hippie, and that's about it.
What else is new?

That's a good comment from Mary Ingles, I'm sure many of us can relate to it. I certainly do.

Barry, your comment just needed a little editing

many modern urban folk are totally baseless and live their life as if their immediate satisfaction is the only thing that matters, will matter or has ever mattered.
That's pretty much the human condition, and we struggle hopefully using religion and culture, to rise above that.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.