Print Thread
Hop To
J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have about 500 pieces of 308 brass that I fired out of my Sako. Never reloaded and thinking about trying and looking at the Classic Lee loader for that caliber. Any reason not to for a starter outfit? On-line reviews are good and do highlight the limitations.

GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you talking about the press kit or the loader?

The press kit will get you started and work fine until you start upgrading, piece by piece.

I have a few of the Lee Loader's too, fun to use at times.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started with and still use the anniversary kit. Only original piece I still have is the press. And it still shucks out loads for my .270 that are 5/8" @100..5 shot groups

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JDK,

The Lee Loader works very well, in fact it often loads more accurate ammo than a press and conventional dies, because the neck is sized precisely in line with the case body, and bullets are seated very straightly. The smallest groups I've ever fired out of my Ruger No. 1 .22 Hornet were with reloads put together on a Lee Loader.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee Loader works well, but:

1) Wear eye protection
2) Wear ear protection
3) Wear a light glove on the hand holding the case as you gently tap it over the primer... eek

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've pondered a lee hand press for range loading. How well do they work for consistency vs the classic loader?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Lee Loader works well, but:

1) Wear eye protection
2) Wear ear protection
3) Wear a light glove on the hand holding the case as you gently tap it over the primer... eek

Your hand should not be touching the case when priming if you're doing things by the directions. The case is tapped out of the sizing die onto the waiting primer. The priming rod fills the case neck, the sizing die encases the primer. Yes, the primers do snap sharply when the rare one pops, but it is a very safe operation. (I hold the rod just above the top of the die when priming, so I can feel the case move onto the primer without hammering on it more than necessary.) A good Lexan-headed mallet makes a good Lee Loader accessory.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone has to start somewhere, and that's where I began with a 6 mm Rem in about 1963. I could consistently hit golf balls at 100 with those rounds.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not too many years ago, bench shooters were setting records with reloading tools quite like a Lee Loader.
Even though I have presses to spare, I started my son out with a Lee Loader. You can't get more in-tough with the fundamentals of reloading any better than a Lee.
I also got to see him when he was seating primers and popped one. It's not dangerous just startling.

Aim for the exit hole.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think a lot of us started using a Lee Loader. I have a pile of them in my shop, and always take one with me when I go to the range.

One thing I did learn early on was to use a hand priming tool. It wasn't because of the possibility of a bang; it was simply easier to re-prime.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well, I just ordered a Lee Loader for the 308 and some 165 grain Sierra Gamekings. I now embark on the world of reloading. Looking for powder and primers locally.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by JDK; 01/13/14.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
W/500 rounds of brass from the same gun wouldn't a collect die be a HUGE time and effort saver? No lubes to clean...basically neck size, prime load.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kraky111
W/500 rounds of brass from the same gun wouldn't a collect die be a HUGE time and effort saver? No lubes to clean...basically neck size, prime load.

The little Lee also neck sizes, no lube. A no-frills 308 scout-type rifle and a Lee Loader in 308 oughta be in everyone's SHTF kit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK
Well, I just ordered a Lee Loader for the 308 and some 165 grain Sierra Gamekings. I now embark on the world of reloading. Looking for powder and primers locally.

Thanks for the help.

Good choice to start loading, but as you expand into a press, dies and other sundry items us reloaders think we need, don't sell or give away the Lee Loader set. You just might find it difficult to improve on the accuracy of the ammo produced by the Loader.

I continue to use the Loader's from time to time, especially in doing load work up at the range. The only change I made with the Loader is I don't pound with a hammer. Several years ago I picked up a nice, inexpensive arbor press.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since the Lee Loader only neck sizes, make sure you don't try to use those reloads in any other rifle than the one that it was originally fired in. It may work... Or you may end up paying a smith to extract a stuck case. Don't ask how I know.

In addition to the Classic Lee Loader, I'd also suggest picking up a decent set of calipers and a scale to give you flexibility on working up loads.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you don't want to use a wooden or plastic hammer, you can do what roundoak has done. This arbor press is around $70. I think Midway has this model. It's a Bald Eagle BE1001 Mini Arbor Press. It's a small press that is easily transportable.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 25aught6, 33 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.