Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I believe the COMEX will break in the coming decade and physical gold and silver will no longer be tied to 'paper contracts' that do not have anything to back them up. Gold is sold in futures market on the COMEX at 1:69 ratio of gold to 'paper gold'. For every physical ounce of silver there are 100 'paper' owners for that ounce world wide. I think gold will sell for $10,000 an ounce one day and silver will trade upwards of $1,000 an ounce.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only problem with that prediction is the monied interests that create the rules won't let it happen. $

Also think you're wrong about silver and gold prices in any of the near future.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Arizona_Archer
I believe the COMEX will break in the coming decade and physical gold and silver will no longer be tied to 'paper contracts' that do not have anything to back them up. Gold is sold in futures market on the COMEX at 1:69 ratio of gold to 'paper gold'. For every physical ounce of silver there are 100 'paper' owners for that ounce world wide. I think gold will sell for $10,000 an ounce one day and silver will trade upwards of $1,000 an ounce.

Not likely to happen. Commodity futures are as necessary as breathing.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Not going to happen.

Remember for every person long a contract, someone else must be short that exact same contract. The total net position of all futures contracts is zero.

In addition every futures contract is backed by REAL PHYSICAL GOLD. If you are long a futures contract, you can always choose physical delivery of the underlying asset.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/12/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I predict my son and I will go prospecting and find some.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think that when silver is $1000 an ounce, it will take $1000 to buy what $30 buys now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I predict the dollar will be worth less than an equal amount of TP.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends on what kind of coin the gold is made into. Here's one that sold a few days ago for over $4 MILLION.
EXPENSIVE COIN

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We went from the age of information to the age of info overload in the blink of an eye

I've read some of the same reports that the op has read

Have also read reports that say it ain't gonna happen

All reports by guys that have successfully navigated the markets for some time

Could it happen? Yes I believe it could

Will it happen?

Guess we'll see

Will say I like having insurance that only has 1 premium vs. the fire insurance I carry

I figure PM's are just financial insurance

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Not going to happen.

Remember for every person long a contract, someone else must be short that exact same contract. The total net position of all futures contracts is zero.

In addition every futures contract is backed by REAL PHYSICAL GOLD. If you are long a futures contract, you can always choose physical delivery of the underlying asset.

JP Morgan was selling 'physical silver' to it's clients and they were charging them storage fees for silver that didn't even exist.

1:69 physical to paper gold COMEX

Last edited by Arizona_Archer; 01/12/14.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Arizona Archer
JP Morgan was selling 'physical silver' to it's clients and they were charging them storage fees for silver that didn't even exist.

That's called Fraud, and we have ways to deal with it.

If you are truly interested in how these markets work, I suggest you begin with sources other then websites attempting to sell you gold and silver coins.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Arizona Archer

That's called Fraud, and we have ways to deal with it.

If you are truly interested in how these markets work, I suggest you begin with sources other then websites attempting to sell you gold and silver coins.

I'd listen to this man.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I won't and have not invested a dime in gold.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who tells you what gold or silver is going to do really doesn't know what they're talking about.

And I really mean no disrespect there.

Predicting the future is a fruitless exercise in futility. People have been doing it for centuries using every thing from the stars, to crystal balls, to casting chicken bones. No one knows what tomorrow brings, or even if we will draw a breath in the next minute.
Yes I understand THIS could happen, but then THAT could happen instead, whatever "this" and "that" may be.

Prepare as you feel led for what the future may bring but letting internet "soothsayers" and "doomsdayers" determine what that preparation may be isn't very smart in my estimation

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Brad
The only problem with that prediction is the monied interests that create the rules won't let it happen. $

Im in the Biz, and Brad hit the nail squarely on the head as possible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Originally Posted by Brad

Im in the Biz, and Brad hit the nail squarely on the head as possible.

OPC, once upon a time I was in the biz as well... I still keep up with the market, and it's good to hear from someone else who knows how heavily the metals markets are manipulated.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can manipulate the market only so far. Remember the Hunt brothers?

Not that I believe in the collapse of anything predictions, but because of market forces and basic economic theory. Shifting sure, collapse no.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nighthawk
You can manipulate the market only so far. Remember the Hunt brothers?
Actually, the Hunt Brothers fiasco was an example of market manipulation by the powers that be, not by the Hunt Brothers. The powers that be were becoming frightened of a return of interest in precious metals as mediums of exchange. Were that to occur, it would demonstrate to the population at large the defects in the fiat currency system on which so much high level corruption depends, so it had to be shut down.

The powers that be arranged for a post hoc rules change designed to kill the rise in metals prices, and with it was also killed popular interest in precious metals as mediums of exchange. The orchestrated destruction of the Hunt Brothers, in other words, was just yet another example of corruption in government and finance.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think gold will sell for $10,000 an ounce one day and silver will trade upwards of $1,000 an ounce.

Been dabbling in PM's since 1980 and have found that these types of "predictions" come from folks trying to sell something. Nothing personal, just an observation.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, it was a classic attempt by the Hunts to artificially inflate the price by cornering the market on a metal with significant industrial uses (demand). Increasing the margin requirement to relieve supply simply returned the market to its (more or less) natural balance.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.