Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about picking up a couple slingshots-one to keep at home and one to keep in my bag in the truck. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good sling shot or wrist rocket to pick up?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not a wrist rocket, but you can make your own VERY effective sling.

Slinging.org

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Simple Wrist Rocket will take care of things once you ate in the "Zen Zone".

Few thousand practice shots will make the "Zone" come a little easier.

As with bare bow instinctive shooting you have to see the intended impact spot in your mind.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Here are instructions to make a simple sling:

Simple Sling

Slings are lethal, can be carried concealed without a permit, and are undetected by metal detectors. I suggest you give it a try.

Last edited by achadwick; 01/12/14. Reason: Typos

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This (1st photo) is what I've had for many years. Before that I had a Wham-o. Last year I bought a more powerful replacement that I just can't get comfortable with (2nd photo).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This,
http://www.amazon.com/Trumark-Sling...643&sr=1-1&keywords=wrist+rocket

then upgrade to stronger more powerful rubber

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Available from Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsman's.

I've had a Wrist Rocket since I was a kid and very much prefer the folding model as it can be tucked in a pocket, pack or glove compartment.
For ammo I find the white marbles easiest to see so for me easiest to shoot well.

If I had skills I'd shoot like this man!
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9ieWrWLjii0[/video]

Last edited by colodog; 01/12/14.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by colodog
Available from Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsman's.
I've had a Wrist Rocket since I was a kid and very much prefer the folding model as it can be tucked in a pocket, pack or glove compartment.
For ammo I find the white marbles easiest to see so for me easiest to shoot well.

I used those too when I was a kid. But none of them have the power of those illustrated in slinging.org.

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

CHECK OUT THIS GUYS OTHER VIDEOS

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
He has some really great videos. Most don't end as poorly as that one.

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

CHECK OUT THIS GUYS OTHER VIDEOS

Gave myself black eye like this with a marble from a sling shot my Dad made for me with rubber cut from a natural rubber inner tube. Not sure how old I was but we moved from that house the second month of my first grade year.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not since I was about 9. lol..

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Frozen paint balls make excellent practice ammo.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just get a wrist rocket and a bucket full of taconite pellets.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buckshot, marbles, ball bearings, stones, nuts, bolts and even a pair of diagonal cutters and a few wheel weights provide decent ammo.

Right after we moved into a new subdivision in far south Houston, I went out exploring and found a small patch of woods, started creeping through and spotted a rabbit about 20 yards away, hit that sucker right square in the head with a chunk of wheelweight and killed him stone dead.

Surprised me but being the good hunter I carried him home and started skinning him on the back porch, about the time I got him skinned my mom opens the back door, looked at me, looked at the rabbit, looked at me and said WTF, with her eyes starting to water, she said "you killed the Easter bunny"...may have been true, it was Easter Sunday laugh

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
gophergunner;
I trust this finds you and yours doing well thus far into our fresh year.

We've got a couple of wrist rocket type slingshots at our place, one a folding model and one Marksman brand with the fixed arm brace. They live at the top door of the house and the garage door, along with a bag of marbles and a can of bear spray.

Good bears - so we believe - will shuffle off to parts unknown after a stern word and a speeding marble are directed their way.

Thus far in more than two decades on the place we've not had to resort to Plan B which might be noisier than the word/marble combination, not to mention a more involved aftermath. wink

While I've not taken grouse with them, a good friend certainly has and as mentioned already rabbits should be no issue either.

I used to carry one in the pickup, but the heat really wore out the bands quickly I found. That mentioned, they don't last forever and a couple sets of spares aren't a bad plan if one can get a bargain on them anywhere.

Lastly, for me anyway, I find it easier to shoot sideways like the unfortunate chap in the video, rather than the "traditional" slingshot shooting position. For me it's easier to get my windage when shooting that way, but again that's just one of likely many ways to achieve a favorable outcome.

Hopefully that was some use to you or someone out there this morning sir. All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any body remember Pat McManus' story about his slingshot 'Thumper'? He made it from strips of inner tube and no man was strong enough to pull it....except Rancid Crabtree.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i busted many a squirrel and rabbit with a slingshot.

wider forks and longer wrist support will give better accuracy.
i used to buy the tubing at the drug store cheaper than buying premade bands at a sporting goods store. the folding ones are compact but not very easy to shoot.

if you make your own from wood the bands will tend to break where you tie them to the wood. also the bands or tubing will tend to dry rot or degrade from uv light if left out. luck-ray

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good friend and his partner were fined hundreds of dollars each for using a little homemade beanie flipper in the direction of water fowl. Seems the Oregon warden believed the ducks were in serious danger and/or seriously harassed. We all found it pretty funny, him not so much.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always whittled out a forked vine maple branch and made my own. I buy the wrist rocket bands and hook them on with rubber bands.

Killed many cherry stealing birds with one of these when I was a kid.

Always had best accuracy when holding the slingshot at a 45% angle.

Marbles made good ammo. Also .45 cal cast bullets the we "pinched" from Dad.

Virgil B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (22250rem, 1minute, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.