Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I was just rereading an article by Brian Pearce in the Feb-March 2002 issue of Handloader (#215) and on page 33 he says �Always wrap it (he is talking about the off-hand) around the side and never use it to cup the bottom of the grip frame�. Also in looking at Ross Seyfried�s article in Handloader #208 (Dec2000-Jan 2001) it is obvious that he is not cupping the bottom of the grip frame but rather has his left hand to the side and not under it. I typically do use my left hand to cup the bottom of the grip frame. I shoot a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. Why would cupping the bottom of the grip frame be the wrong way to do it? Is it because recoil would be more likely to be inconsistent and therefore group size would be larger? Thanks, Rufous.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always gripped my offhand against my strong one when shooting with the exception of the NRA one hand hold with off hand in pocket in pistol matches in the Army. I have tried the "cupping" method, but find it less than stable for me. Your milage may vary. How you grip you handgun is a matter of what works best for you. IMHO

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wrapping your weak side and then overlapping your stong side with it, gives a more equal length with your arms , enabling you to let any recoil rotate through the shoulders and keeping your wrist and elbows stiff,when using the isoceles stance. A weaver stance is more conducsive to the cupping, but most people don't know that thier weak side ahnd should be pulling back alittle with this type of grip and not just resting the base of the grip on it. The isoceles stance is more stable of the two

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rufous: Wrapping your off hand from the side (as opposed to cupping from the bottom) should give a firmer grip if done properly. I like to put my left (off hand) thumb over my right and pull it down...sort of cinches my grip. I figure the advantages are: Better control of recoil, faster follow-up shots, less muzzle flip,and for me a more consistent grip and thus groups (I know any consistent grip can be accurate...I have better luck using a firm grip with heavy recoil). I think it makes the most difference for rapid fire. dvnv

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I grip with my shooting hand, my right, the usual way. My left wraps over the right. My left index finger wraps around the front of the trigger guard.
<br> I then push away with may right, and pull back with my left. I don't lock my elbows. I face the target, and don't lock my knees. A triangle, if you will. I cock the gun with my left thumb, not my right.
<br> I find this very accurate, especially with auto pistols. E

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot and teach the weaver and modified weaver stance. I use the straight weaver since I am right handed and strong left eye dominant. Like the left handed shooter in the image, I can nearly touch my bicep with my chin and shoot with my left eye. (cross-eyed so to speak) I have found this technique to be very stable and it allows the shooter to get back on target for double taps.
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mike:
<br>
<br>I'm right-handed and left eye dominent - lasered - 15/20 or whatever is perfect.
<br>
<br>So, at the risk of sounding very naive, or stupid, do you pull the trigger with you right hand or left?

Tenderfoot

"Fortes Fortuna Iuvat"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hold the weapon in the right hand, use the left for the secondary support, anchor my chin on my right bicep and use my left eye (both open). Trigger work is done with my right hand,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!!! .... I never thought about it. Now I'm sitting at my desk and my co-workers think i'm crazy for checking how I hold my pistol.
<br>
<br>I guess given the definitions I cup the grip bottom. I don't extend my right arm all the way, but instead keep my right elbow bent. With the sights a little closer to my eye. This stance feels stable and I shoot everying from 9mm to .454 Casull this way.
<br>
<br>Now I'm going to think about it and get confused on my next trip to the range!!
<br>
<br>Enjoy
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
rufous,
<br>
<br>I started with the isosceles and gravitated to the Weaver stance over 20 years as a deputy sheriff.
<br>But my grip always remained essentially the same.
<br>
<br>Gun hand thumb low and tight adding to the grip.
<br>Trigger finger in just past the first knuckle. After the first couple of years I shot exclusively double action even out to 50 yards.
<br>
<br>Left hand supporting the gun with the top of the left hand touching the trigger guard and the left thumb folded over the right.
<br>
<br>I also used forward pressure with my right hand and backward pressure with my left hand to firm up the grip and reduce any shakes.
<br>
<br>That wasn't exactly what I learned at the academy but when I started winning "Top Gun" awards the instructors tended to overlook my pecularities.
<br>
<br>I went with the Weaver to get the gun in closer to me and to further improve my grip and steadiness. Wit the gun in close and the right elbow straight out from the shoulder I could (and did) fend off a person going for my gun.
<br>
<br>

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The push pull method works for me too if I am trying to put 2 shots on 1 target.

Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.