WPAH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Weaver V9 vs Leupold VX1

Opinions on the Weaver V9?
Should I get the Leupold VX1 3-9?

This will go on a Ruger American Compact 223, when I can get one. A very young youth will use it for deer and I will use it for varmints and maybe some deer.

I want light weight. I considered a K6, K4, and 2-7 variables, but the 3-9 is my best bet for my multipurpose uses. The kid may hunt woods or fields, and I may shoot varmints to 300+ yards.

Last edited by WPAH; 01/12/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get the weaver or a Nitrex

Last edited by 338rcm; 01/12/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Owning both...

The Weaver is a darn capable scope...I have them on multiple rifles in multiple calibers... same goes for both the K4 and K 6...

The Weaver is a better dollar value.. the Leupold has been glass.. both are solid scopes for the money...

I'd rate the Leupold as the better scope and the Weaver as the better dollar value....

neither one is NOT a WRONG call for the service you plan on using either for...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The current VX-1s have the same optics, lenses/coatings, as the later VX-IIs and are better than the earlier VX-IIs. I don't know what the price difference between the two scopes is, but if you amortize the difference in price over the useful life of the scope, I use 20 years, I'll bet that the difference is very, very, small.

I guess the bottom line is if you can afford the VX-1, buy it. If you can't justify the cost of the VX-1, buy the less expensive Weaver V9. You can almost always sell a Leupold and get a large portion of your purchase price out of it, assuming that it hasn't been beaten to pieces. Can you say the same for current production Weavers? I have recent production Weavers that I like, the RV7 and V16, and a V10 that is a terrible scope.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pay close attention to 260Remguy's last paragraph; excellent advice.

I don't know about Weaver's warranty, but I have used Leupold's on a couple different occasions and as most know, Leupold is top notch. You may consider this, especially if a young/new hunter is using the rifle. I equipped both of my son's first hunting rifles with VX-1's just for this reason.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I don't know about Weaver's warranty, but I have used Leupold's on a couple different occasions and as most know, Leupold is top notch. You may consider this, especially if a young/new hunter is using the rifle. I equipped both of my son's first hunting rifles with VX-1's just for this reason.

See, this is where I have the issue with Leupold. For every one of the scopes they sell, they are building in the cost of fixing all of the scopes that come back under warranty, and from the sounds of it, there are a bunch both recent production and older. And further, I shouldn't need to use the warranty. I know of more than one Leupold that has been sent back to them multiple times, sometimes coming back fixed only to fail again and sometimes not coming back fixed and needing to be sent immediately back for further service.

I also know of more than one person that is in the process of or has already finished getting rid of their Leupold's because they have issues and need to go back. Me, I don't buy them any longer so it's not an issue for me. I'm done paying extra for a scope because it has the gold ring and excellent warranty. To each their own, but if you gave me a VX1, I'd sell it and buy the Weaver V9 and pocket the change. JMO, YMMV

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Nitrex is a sleeper. I bought one from Natchez for $139.00, expecting to receive a Wal Mart "blister pack" scope relabeled Nitrex. When I received it I was pleasantly surprised. The glass is crystal clear from edge to edge. I haven't gotten the chance to zero it and see if it will hold zero over the course of a year, being pulled off the gun rack, shot, cleaned, and hung back numerous times. I may even try spinning the turrets, though I think repeatability is too much to expect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had bunches of Leupys and Weaver Classics of all shapes sizes. MOF I just mounted one of each of these less than 3 weeks ago.

I'm assuming a new VX1 with click adj. and Multi-Coat 4.

Thinking out loud:

----Glass is very comparable now. Both more than acceptably good

---Both scopes are lightweight and very tough. I have beaten the crap out of several Classics. Badly. They still work

---The Weaver tracks incredibly good not only for it's price, but better than many scopes costing more money. The micro-trac works

---I have not used VX-1s, only VX2s and VX3s, but I would have to assume they will track/hold zero fine, given Leupolds reputation. Or they will make it right. After owning 40-something Leupys, no worries here. Heck, I just bought one

---The Weavers are what I have called the "best scope for the money out there" for many years now. They track, glass is very good, they are light and tough. Made by LOW of Japan. One of World's largest scope mfg's.

---V9s are better than V10s IMO, in case you are wondering

NOW---to the situation at hand:

Given that a very young youth will use it, I would buy the Leupold. Period, end of story.

The one thing, and one thing only, that Weaver don't do well, is eye relief. They simply do not have very long eye relief compared to Leupolds. Sometime this is an issue (like right now IMO) and sometimes not. It just depends on the gun/mounts/shooter.

I have a gun sitting here right now. Older Redfield on it for years. Removed because eye relief just isn't as good as it should be. Tried a new Burris FF2 LRS 3-9x40 on it---nope, no good. Tried a V9, nope. Tried a VX-1, YEP. A new VX2, YEP.

So my point is, being a young/small shooter, eye relief is going to be of major importance. While I love my Weaver Classics, I still love my Leupys more. In this case, the better/less finicky eye-box, and greater eye relief of Leupold is worth the extra loot IMO. I feel it will definitely benefit the young shooter......

JMO.......

W
WPAH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks and keep it coming.

I have had a Weaver V3 and a Leupold VXI 2-7. I liked both. I have not looked through a V9; I have looked through a V10 and did not care for what I think is the eye box?.

A Weaver for 140 or a Leupold for 220?...
In a few years this rifle will be mine for small game and does; He'll want a 300 mag, 338 mag, or a 3006, and has a 243 and 308.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to wonder how many Leupold scopes are returned for warranty service.

I have 88 of them, bought 2 today, and have never had cause to return a single one. The only reasons that I've sent scopes to Leupold were to be cleaned, old pre Alpha pre-fix scopes, and to have heavy duplex reticles installed.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too Jeff. I have had roughly 45 of them. I had some turrets wear out a bit, that's about it. And a hard to turn mag ring or 2.

I have one here now that needs a heavy duplex installed. I REALLY wish you could buy a VX2 3-9x40 or VX3 3.5-10x40 with HD.

I will probably buy another Leupy by the end of the day. That will make 3 in 3 weeks. Then I'm done. Still contemplating.......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have to wonder how many Leupold scopes are returned for warranty service.

I have 88 of them, bought 2 today, and have never had cause to return a single one. The only reasons that I've sent scopes to Leupold were to be cleaned, old pre Alpha pre-fix scopes, and to have heavy duplex reticles installed.

Jeff

Respectfully Jeff, if you just do some reading and searching here, I think you'll find many go tits up. It happens. And not just to Leupolds. I'm not trying to imply that at all.

That said, I would agree, many go trouble free for years and I've had a number of them myself. I don't own a single one any longer. I'm only speaking of what I've seen or heard personally or from those I know around me. I had a VX2 that wouldn't track for chit. I sent it back, they "fixed" it and it still wouldn't track. Once I got it "on" it held zero fine. But as far as 1 click = 1/4", well...sometimes sure. Other times it might have been 1 click = 1". I'm not into sending them back over and over. I found other stuff that worked fine for me and I continue to mess with other brands.

But as stated I won't bother with another Leupold. If you ask my BIL, they are the ONLY scope worth owning. To each their own.

But again, for me...if I'm given the choice of VX1 vs V9, I'll take the V9 and pocket the left over coin. As far as I'm concerned the VX1 is over priced by about $50 and even at $50 less than what they sell for, I'd still buy the V9. JMO

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, but even if we surveyed every member of 24HCF regarding their Leupold experience, a short <10 question survey, I'd bet that the dissatisfied customers and the failed scopes would account for a very small percentage of the whole. Add to that the fact that the 24HCF members constitute a special interest node and account for only a very small percentage of Leupold scopes sold, so a survey limited to 24HCF members isn't likely to be an accurate reflection of the whole Leupold universe.

Since I hunt alone or with family members, I'm pretty much indifferent as to what other folks buy or use for hunting. Most of my family members hunt with equipment that isn't equal to my 1st tier stuff, but they regularly punch tags and fill freezers.

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, but even if we surveyed every member of 24HCF regarding their Leupold experience, a short <10 question survey, I'd bet that the dissatisfied customers and the failed scopes would account for a very small percentage of the whole. Add to that the fact that the 24HCF members constitute a special interest node and account for only a very small percentage of Leupold scopes sold, so a survey limited to 24HCF members isn't likely to be an accurate reflection of the whole Leupold universe.

Since I hunt alone or with family members, I'm pretty much indifferent as to what other folks buy or use for hunting. Most of my family members hunt with equipment that isn't equal to my 1st tier stuff, but they regularly punch tags and fill freezers.

Jeff

I'd simply make it a two question survey.

1. How many Leupold scopes have you owned?
2. How many of them have you sent back for warranty service?

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps I'm right. My guess is that more go back than you think, but I have no data to back that up. I've seen enough problems with them personally that I won't, in my opinion, pay extra for a scope just because it has that gold ring. I am not trying to bash Leupold. Buy all the Leupolds you want. I think the glass is great. The features are good, the warranty is excellent and so is the service (generally). I still think they are overpriced compared to others and they just don't do it for me so I don't buy or own them any more. I'm only passing along an opinion and anecdotal evidence, as are you.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine, you and others gave theirs, that's the nature of the campfire. Only the OP can decide what he wants to do and what he wants to pay for and what that is worth to him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupold commands a lion's share of the market. There is a reason why.

I have owned dozens and dozens of scopes of nearly every big brand. Have broken my share too. Seen plenty of scopes fail. There is a reason why I now buy Leupold more than any other brand.

But as you say, everyone's experiences/opinions are different.

For a while there, Leupold became complacent. Lived off their name. Others caught up. It's true all right, whether some want to admit it or not.

However, now, over the last 6-7 years or so, they have continually improved their products, kept their prices very competitive, and I have to think taken back a little bit of lost market share.

I have always liked Leupold. But right now, they seemingly really have the R&D thing together and are turning out some fantastic riflescopes IMO......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Easy OP question to answer.... Leupold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Jeff

I'd simply make it a two question survey.

1. How many Leupold scopes have you owned?
2. How many of them have you sent back for warranty service?

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps I'm right. My guess is that more go back than you think, but I have no data to back that up. I've seen enough problems with them personally that I won't, in my opinion, pay extra for a scope just because it has that gold ring. I am not trying to bash Leupold. Buy all the Leupolds you want. I think the glass is great. The features are good, the warranty is excellent and so is the service (generally). I still think they are overpriced compared to others and they just don't do it for me so I don't buy or own them any more. I'm only passing along an opinion and anecdotal evidence, as are you.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine, you and others gave theirs, that's the nature of the campfire. Only the OP can decide what he wants to do and what he wants to pay for and what that is worth to him.
Leupold does not by any means a bad product. You may have had some bad experiences but that can be said about anything out there. I have owned ALOT of leupolds and I have never had a problem. Not one. I have had them on some heavy hitters too. My vote is for leupold of the choices given. Its hard to beat the new vx1 for the money. Buy with confidence and if you were one of the unlucky ones, leupold will make it right no questions asked

Last edited by gunchamp; 01/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

See, this is where I have the issue with Leupold. For every one of the scopes they sell, they are building in the cost of fixing all of the scopes that come back under warranty, and from the sounds of it, there are a bunch both recent production and older. And further, I shouldn't need to use the warranty. I know of more than one Leupold that has been sent back to them multiple times, sometimes coming back fixed only to fail again and sometimes not coming back fixed and needing to be sent immediately back for further service.

I also know of more than one person that is in the process of or has already finished getting rid of their Leupold's because they have issues and need to go back. Me, I don't buy them any longer so it's not an issue for me. I'm done paying extra for a scope because it has the gold ring and excellent warranty. To each their own, but if you gave me a VX1, I'd sell it and buy the Weaver V9 and pocket the change. JMO, YMMV

I've had to use the warranty three different times:

1. Power ring that I felt was too stiff: Returned it and it was fixed.

2. Came in after hunting in the rain all day, the wooden stock on my rifle was wet and slick as well as my neoprene gloves. While dismounting my ATV the rifle slipped from my hands, I attempted to grab it, but it went through the air twirling like a baton. The rifle landed scope down on a concrete floor breaking the main tube where it "joins" the objective bell, breaking the scope.

Returned it, Leupold was unable to repair it. They sent me a new VX-II as a replacement.

3. I fell and rode my rifle and scope down a rock face like a sled. Scratched the objective lense, damaged the windage adjustment and ruined the finish on the side of the scope.

Returned it, Leupold asked for $99 dollars and my old scope. I received a new VX-III.

I just have a hard time purchasing much else when an AMERICAN company treats me that well, but to each his own.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've had to use the warranty three different times:

1. Power ring that I felt was too stiff: Returned it and it was fixed.

2. Came in after hunting in the rain all day, the wooden stock on my rifle was wet and slick as well as my neoprene gloves. While dismounting my ATV the rifle slipped from my hands, I attempted to grab it, but it went through the air twirling like a baton. The rifle landed scope down on a concrete floor breaking the main tube where it "joins" the objective bell, breaking the scope.

Returned it, Leupold was unable to repair it. They sent me a new VX-II as a replacement.

3. I fell and rode my rifle and scope down a rock face like a sled. Scratched the objective lense, damaged the windage adjustment and ruined the finish on the side of the scope.

Returned it, Leupold asked for $99 dollars and my old scope. I received a new VX-III.

I just have a hard time purchasing much else when an AMERICAN company treats me that well, but to each his own.
+1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I knew when I posted that I'd likely be in the minority. This place is Leupold crazy, which is fine. Really, it's OK by me. I think everyone should buy and own whichever brand of scope they so choose. Be it Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro, Nikon, Minox, Bushnell, insert scope manufacturer name here. And I never said that Leupold was a bad company or a bad scope. I only shared my personal experiences with them. Buy what you want, its OK by me. I just think for the money you gotta lay out for a VX1, there are better choices. And I think the V9 is a better choice for less dough. As I've said a couple times now, to each their own.

I hope the OP buys what he wants and deems the best value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.