-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...or sipped the cool-aid... depending on your perception. grin Had decided to buy the 6 person size and the stocking stuffer 10% sale triggered action.

I've had several backpack hunts in recent years in terrible weather, one still vivid from last month. Did fine with my flat tarp style but there is no question that a stand up full sided shelter would have been more comfortable, especially with a stove. Endless rain/snow-to-18-inches deep/rain again... Would not have done the recent hunt had we known how bad the weather and lack of game was going to be. The weather forecast wasn't even close.

I have more hunts in mind for this winter and next Fall, some near a vehicle, when such a shelter will serve well. So will try it out. I have used backpacking tents more for camping from a compact vehicle than I have backpacking.

I dislike cramped tents, floored tents of any size, and nowadays try to avoid camping above timberline. Personal prefs at my advancing age.

Haven't decided on a stove yet. Like certain features of all that I've researched. Will likely start with a cheapie to be hauled by vehicle to try it with the tipi, then select a light weight one for backpacking.

Any time this thing gets backpacked will be with sons or grandsons as the heavy haulers. For my solo backpacks, I will take my proven minimal bivy shelter items rather than the tipi.

Call this thread the evolution of a dinosaur grin

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/19/13. Reason: clarity
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You're going to love it. Check my review of the 6-man and stove from my Colorado trip this year:

http://mile175.blogspot.com/2013/12/fire-on-mountain.html

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You will love it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
You're going to love it. Check my review of the 6-man and stove from my Colorado trip this year:

Thanks for the link. Good read, good info. My primary concern is one you mentioned: finding a ground space to fit the tipi. That is the problem with all pre-shaped tents and tarps. I.e. I bivied one night solo right on a forest service trail last month because it was the only reasonably level space 6 feet long and 15 inches wide I could find to fit my bod on that steep mountainside.

I suspect that this tipi will be pitched with some humps, slopes and brush inside it at times.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Good review. I have the BCS and really like it. Your comment
The heated tipi shelter is a game changer for the mountain hunter.
is spot on.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I suspect that this tipi will be pitched with some humps, slopes and brush inside it at times.

I had to pitch one little section around a pine. You might be able to see that in a picture from the review. Glad you guys like the review. Yes - the heated tipi is a game changer. If you want to walk away from the truck, away from the trial head - I can't imagine using any other shelter now that I've used a heated tipi.

This must be what its like to look through a pair of Swarovski glass...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sreekers
You will love it.

Yep, I think I will! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm shivering reading about your hunkering down in the hypothermia zone of rain and snow. I simply have this to say about heated shelters like your new one....HEAT IS GOOOOOOOD!!!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a tipi last summer and had a stove jack installed in it. Tipi is 8 ft square x 6.5ft tall. Had a light stove built out of a 10" piece of light stove pipe with 4" stove pipe that fits inside. The tent and stove weigh 15lbs combined. Tipi(4.5lbs). I hunt high country on horses but go light. The weather this mid Sept. was awful. It rained and snowed hard on me for 22hrs straight, at 9000ft. Then rained and snowed off and on for the next couple days. I stayed warm and dry the whole time. Tipi never leaked and the stove kept it hot inside. Glad I had them. One tip, always set your stove on the down wind side, so that any sparks that get by your spark arrester blow away and don't land on your tipi.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Okanagan,you are going to absolutly love your Tipi tent.
Been running a 12 man Kifaru for 12 yrs now and for Quad/vehicle/ river boat/fly in,the tipi's with heat are unbeatable.
Time to start thinking about a smaller size one as the kids are all grown up now,and most times it's just the Wife and myself.
Going to try me one of them Four Dog Titanuim stoves this yr,will be set for sure then.
Enjoy your new Tipi

IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That is a great review...thanks

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Going to try me one of them Four Dog Titanuim stoves this yr

No Four Dog Titanium stoves available, and he won't answer emails?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'm in the process of upgrading to a Seek Outside 8 man. I can't see a downside.

I want a Four Dog titanium it is too heavy to backpack, but I have a long eared partner that doesn't mind.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.