Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
LOWTEC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'd like to start bow hunting,traditional,longbow where do I start?I've never had a bow of any kind.Thanks for any help.

Last edited by LOWTEC; 01/14/14.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Find a real archery/bow shop, not a chain box-store, and meet the staff there. Tell them what you are looking for, and get your draw length measured.

They may not have a longbow, but they'll most likely have something traditional that you can try out for draw weight, feel, and general idea of what shooting a bow is like. They will help you with form, and recommendations on entry level bows.

We can only make so many suggestions from here, you have to hold the bow, pull the string, and see if you like it.

You are signing up for some practice hours on the range, so I'd suggest not starting off with "He-Man" poundage until you have practiced and found your constistant form. Less pounds, more shots in practice, better learning curve, and hopefully less bad habits.

Set a budget, and stick up it, you can wrap up a doctrinal butt-load of money up into archery gear. Don't forget the arrows, a good set of a dozen will run $100-150 and up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I started in archery/bowhunting in the '70s and shot nothing but recurves for a number of years and got to be a decent shot. Then I decided I needed to learn to shoot a longbow - I had been shooting 50-55# recurves and assumed I could learn on a 60# longbow - not. It was way too much but I was determined so bought a 45# longbow and worked with that until I felt I had it figured out. I'd probably consider 50# the upper limit of what most could shoot well while learning.

Most folks will tell you that a recurve is easier to master than a longbow. I go back and forth and always shoot a recurve better, though enjoy/prefer the longbow. If you can't find a shop that has anything for you to try, you might think about attending a 3d shoot if there is any in your area. I would think you would be able to talk somebody into letting you shoot an arrow or two to try it out. Most states have some kind of Traditional Archery club/organization that may be worth your time to check out and can help get you started.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
3Rivers Archery and the Leatherwall are your friend.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
3Rivers Archery and the Leatherwall are your friend.

I agree, but I like TradGang a little better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TradGang is a good site, but a little stuffy. Like somebody said, find a good bowshop, buy a bow that's easy to shoot with matching arrows and have fun. Everything else will come.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Youtube has some good form videos by Moebow1 and Jimmy Blackmon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
TradGang is a good site, but a little stuffy. Like somebody said, find a good bowshop, buy a bow that's easy to shoot with matching arrows and have fun. Everything else will come.
When will it come I'm still waiting?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never known any archery shops that carried more than a handful of trad bows, and then only low end with the highest mark up.

Ask around on tradgang and leatherwall about clubs or large trad shoots in your area. Typically there are many vendors set up at any large shoot that will let you try out bows. In addition just about anyone at the warm up targets will let you shoot their bow. Best to shoot a bunch before making a decision.

Even if you have tried a bunch, don't spend to much at first. It will take some experience to even know what kind of bow you prefer.

I would stay 40-45 lbs at first and learn how to bareshaft tune carbon arrows to your bow.

Check out Masters of the Bare bow series DVD's from 3Rivers.I particularly like the parts that Rod Jenkins narrates. Rod taught me a lot when I first started. I like learning from him because unlike some other teachers, who because of controversy I will not name, Rod has proved himself with more than one World IBO championship.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just started shooting traditional, I bought a Samic Sage 35# and tried several type of arrows and decided to go with 5/16 Port Oxford cedar arrows/ 125gr tip ... I'm having lots of fun!!!
it will humble you especially if your used to shooting a compound bow

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by LOWTEC
I'd like to start bow hunting,traditional,longbow where do I start?I've never had a bow of any kind.Thanks for any help.

I've been avoiding posting on this all morning. There's some pretty good advice from some of the guys...BUT!

Here's what I would do if I were you: Find a mentor! First and foremost. Talk to folks in your area/home town ask who hunts or shoots recurve or longbows. Once you have found some one, very near you that is a traditional equipment user, pick his/her brain. Ask if he could show you what to do & how to go about doing it. NJ isn't known for it's big bowhunter populations. But I'll bet if you look around and ask the right questions you'll find someone that secretly shoots in his/her back yard.

Going to archery shoots usually means most often compound shooters, which will not help you out much when trying to go traditional. Most Archery shops know more about compounds also and will tell you stuff like, "You want a compound not a stick bow, compounds are better. So here lets get you set up with this compound." Etc.

I just did a quick Google and found this; http://tradnj.com/ Traditional Archers of New Jersey.

If they are not near you ask them if they have any members in your town and try to get in touch with them.

A mentor will get you farther faster than going to any website or modern archery shop unless they specialize in Trad gear.

Give it a try...heck maybe even meet some new friends.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375

I've been avoiding posting on this all morning. There's some pretty good advice from some of the guys...BUT!

Here's what I would do if I were you: Find a mentor! First and foremost. Talk to folks in your area/home town ask who hunts or shoots recurve or longbows. Once you have found some one, very near you that is a traditional equipment user, pick his/her brain. Ask if he could show you what to do & how to go about doing it. NJ isn't known for it's big bowhunter populations. But I'll bet if you look around and ask the right questions you'll find someone that secretly shoots in his/her back yard.

Going to archery shoots usually means most often compound shooters, which will not help you out much when trying to go traditional. Most Archery shops know more about compounds also and will tell you stuff like, "You want a compound not a stick bow, compounds are better. So here lets get you set up with this compound." Etc.

I just did a quick Google and found this; http://tradnj.com/ Traditional Archers of New Jersey.

If they are not near you ask them if they have any members in your town and try to get in touch with them.

A mentor will get you farther faster than going to any website or modern archery shop unless they specialize in Trad gear.

That's some good advice!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375

I meant trad only shoots. We have several around here every spring and summer with 500-1000 trad shooters. They are great events to both shoot trad bows and find a mentor. When you find a mentor, you want someone who can actually shoot, rather than someone who thinks they can shoot. The later can do more harm than training by yourself. When I first started, I looked to the top 10 or so guys at the larger shoots for advice. At that time I was shooting in the top 30 or so and it was amazing how many guys during a round would give the new shooter advice when it quickly became obvious they need help themselves. Still, a better bunch of folks you won't find anywhere.

I don't know what's available in NJ but some of the forums will help you locate some trad only shoots or clubs. I would prefer to avoid the IBO events as trad and compound is mixed and the more formal atmosphere will work against what you want to accomplish. If nothing else you should try to make it down to some of our free states for an event. There is usually camping and lots of campfire groups to hang out with if you make it in the early spring. No one sits by a fire in July in the south. If you are interested, PM me and I'll list some of the larger shoots . Denton Hill in PA is the closest one I can think of right now. Google it and make the trip if you can.

As for right now, one of the inexpensive Samick bows would be a good choice starting out. Lancaster Archery can be a big help selecting properly spined arrows and such. A nice ILF rig would give you the option of starting out light and swapping limbs later. Something like this.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/tradtech-titan-ii-17-ilf-takedown-riser.html
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/tradtech-black-max-glass-wood-recurve-limbs.html

Or this if you need to stay on a tight budget.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Start here: "Shooting the Stickbow" It is a terrific book on how to shoot and tune trad bows. What to get to begin with, basic to advanced shooting form and technic. Hell of a book for $20. Available on Amazon and any of the major retailers.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by centershot
Start here: "Shooting the Stickbow" It is a terrific book on how to shoot and tune trad bows. What to get to begin with, basic to advanced shooting form and technic. Hell of a book for $20. Available on Amazon and any of the major retailers.

Don't buy this book! If you want it let me know and I will give it to you...FREE! I have one copy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Viper doesn't hunt. I'll pass.

I'll stick with hunting authors to give me pointers.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you go to tradgang.com they have a great beginners intro to trad. It will give solid information and a lot to think about.

I like Tradgang, pleasant place to visit. Haven't spent a lot of time on the leatherwall for many years. Personal preference.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Viper doesn't hunt. I'll pass.

I'll stick with hunting authors to give me pointers.

Any more - he used to. What a huge loss for you, that book is a tremendous resource. Do know that this book teaches you how to shoot and tune - it does not get into bowhunting. There are plenty of others that do that - although I'd be careful about some of their shooting advice - at least until you have a good solid shooting foundation.

That is a great offer from Wild Bill - take him up on it! Wild Bill if he does not want it I'll trade you for the Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by TJ Conrad.

Last edited by centershot; 01/24/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A lot of successful hunters aren't very good shots. Fred Asbell may be a great guy and hunter but I've never seen one of his students that could shoot 60% on a 3D range. Possibly they just didn't properly execute his methods, but from where I was standing. there was way too much squatting involved.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.