Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LOWTEC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My wife,daughter and I live in NJ and we want out.The stereotypes the you hear about the state and it's people are all pretty much true.It's expensive,we live on an acre in the northwest part of the state that still has a few farms and woods,it has become a bedroom community for NYC and Bergen county.We have a normal two bedroom house,it's expensive,we pay over $6000 a year for property taxes,with a well and no garbage pick-up.People are self-centered,ill-mannered and money hungry.I manage a gun department in an independent outdoor store,I've sold guns in one place or another in NJ for almost 30 years,I also have a small landscape company,just cutting grass and plowing snow.My wife drives a school bus and homes schools our daughter.Our health insurance is over $170 per week.There's got to be a better place to live and raise our daughter.I'm asking you please,if you have any suggestions on where we might look?The only place we wouldn't consider is a tornado prone area.Thank you all for any help you may give us.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A place with no tornadoes limits you to New Jersey.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd look towards SD, MT, TN, SC, TX, AZ.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
western PA. i grew up here and moved away for almost 20 years. lived all over the country and the far east. i lived in jersey and philly area too so i know where you're coming from. i highly recommend western pa. taxes are reasonable, (for the east) lots of outdoor recreation, low home prices, and good schools for the most part. job situation is pretty good, depending on your skills too.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you could move to Alaska. I lived there 7 years, but a day with 125 mph winds was called.......... windy.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Texas....duh.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Colorado Springs

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LOWTEC: The answer to your question is SW Montana - excellent schools, low crime, low taxes (no sales tax - our property tax on a LARGE Home and view property is $2,400.00 per year, low vehicle taxes and etc), wonderful friendly sharing people abound, year round outdoor entertainment of every type and pretty good medical services!
My wife and I up and moved out of a west coast crime ridden metropolis that had become unbearable for us in so many ways - our children were 12 and 10 years of age when we moved to SW Montana!
It was the BEST decision we have ever made.
Our children were BOTH accepted into wonderful universities (out of state) to finish the great educations they got here!
The lifestyle hereabouts is non-stress, low impact, time to relax and enoy life and great for loweing ones blood pressure.
Bring your lawn cutting gear and snow plow for extra money - although we only get 9.75" of total rainfall (including snow melt!) here per year.
We have been here 16 years and no tornadoes yet (knock on wood!).
Best of luck to you's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get a kick out of folks who talk like "tornado alley" has a 350 mile wide tornado that comes tearing across the countryside once a year, tearing up everything in its path..

IMO, I'd wager that the odds of you losing your house would be greater in CO due to wildfire than in OK due to tornado...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lots of great places in this great country

some have been mentioned already

but depending upon your likes dislikes of climate and how much moola you need to make I'd consider any of the red states and heck even a few of the blue ones.

hauling a load of pot to Colorado should be profitable (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You scared me Randy....I thought sure you were suggesting everyone move to Delta Jct.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shhh I've already told them they could all move into your house

heck I had no idea you were home already!

does this mean I have to split the rent money on your house these 15 guys have sent me with you?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VernAK
You scared me Randy....I thought sure you were suggesting everyone move to Delta Jct.

I'd move there in a heartbeat. It DO get cold there though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is,.. about anywhere west (not Illinois; heaven forbid).

By the way, the chance of getting squared by the whirly winds in the Midwest is probably less than that of getting t-boned on Main Street in a town of five hundred. Yes, it can happen, but the much publicized pictures of the "nuclear destruction" bely the minuscule chance of it happening in any one spot. Don't let it be a factor.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
A lot of great places to live in the USA. What are your hobbies? Do you want to stay fairly close to relatives? Virginia is still fairly gun friendly. Some good hunting and fishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana is full at the moment, but I think Texas is taking applications ;D

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I get a kick out of folks who talk like "tornado alley" has a 350 mile wide tornado that comes tearing across the countryside once a year, tearing up everything in its path..

IMO, I'd wager that the odds of you losing your house would be greater in CO due to wildfire than in OK due to tornado...

Ain't that the truth!! I've lived in "Tornado Alley" for 53 years���I have seen a few small tornados but have never had so much as $1 worth of damage to my property.

Cancer Sucks
L
LOWTEC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by vabeachman
A lot of great places to live in the USA. What are your hobbies? Do you want to stay fairly close to relatives? Virginia is still fairly gun friendly. Some good hunting and fishing.

Thanks for the response.Relatives aren't a factor.Logistically staying in the east would be better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Southern Iowa. Low taxes and the weather is probably the same or a little better than NJ. Anywhere south of Highway 92. You can still drive to Des Moines in less than 90 minutes if you want to fly back to NJ to visit. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,980
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.